help please - engine oil

ROON

Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am clueless with engines.

Firstly which is the best engine oil to use in the motorhome .... secondly ... oh boy .... here we go... Where do I put it?

I lifted the bonnet and there is one oil bottle NOT for the engine, but then there are TWO lids with an oil can symbol on. Both of them open and both have leads going to the engine. One is at the front nearest when you open the bonnet and the other is at the back. (I don't mean that othr type of oil thing - can't remember name now which is for brakes or something, I think). But which of the other two oil can symbols is the one I pour oil into. And then, what will the other one be for please and how do I check the oil in that since I don't suppose the dip stick warns me about that.

The third oil for brakes etc is transparent so I can see when that is empty.

Joy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume that by posting 1533 times you were a seasoned traveller so if you still don't know where the oil goes tough.

That's 1 post every day for 4 1/2 years

To much lemonade last night perhaps, or is it April 1st ?

Hi Philman, It's diesel and Elddis Autocirrus 200 - I called at Halfords to buy the oil and they gave me a suggestion of the best type. I want to use good quality as the van is only two years old, even though I havn't had it that long, but when they came out to look at the engine, the chap also didn't have a clue what the second oil cap was for, so I lost confidence in them. If you could tell me the best type I would appreciate it and until I am living back at home and can access the van literature, any suggestions as to what the second oil filler is would be welcomed. I called in and asked my ex-husband and he stood looking at it completely mesmerised and didnt have a clue. :-|

Unless you're just topping up, You would need to drain the old oil out first.

If you don't know how to do that , get a garage or a knowledgeable friend to do it.

libby - 2009-01-01 8:04 PM

I would assume that by posting 1533 times you were a seasoned traveller so if you still don't know where the oil goes tough.

I would suggest if you can not make helpful comments on a thread on motorhome matters try not to make sarcastic ones - you definitely don't know peoples circumstances, and in this case the comments are uncalled for. Carol.

Totally agree with you Carol.

Libby you are being extremely insulting to Joy (Roon), not everyone knows their way around an engine, especially modern ones. The amount of posts does not mean that anyone knows their way around motorhomes, engines or otherwise.

Joy is one of the loveliest people on this forum and goes out of her way to help others, I hope if you ask for help you do not receive such comments as you made to her. I suggest you owe her an apology for being so rude and off-hand.

Joy

I have never seen under the bonnet of your type of motorvan, but the following is generally true of all common engine types.

1) Before adding any oil check that it is actually needed by using the dipstick to check the level. To do this, locate the dipstick and with the engine stopped and the vehicle on level ground withdraw it and wipe with a clean cloth. Replace dipstick and immediately withdraw it to check the level. It must be maintained between the minimum and maximum levels.

2) Fluid level fillers and checkers under the bonnet:

a) The engine oil filler cap, usually marked with an oilcan symbol, or the word "oil"

b) The power steering fluid reservoir, usually this will be translucent so that the level can be seen and will be filled with oil to a different specification to that of the engine.

c) The brake (and sometimes clutch) fluid reservoir, this will be translucent and be filled with a special type of fluid that MUST NOT be mixed with other fluids.

d) Windscreen washer fluid reservoir.

It is normal for all these fluid level points to be clearly marked and obvious as to their function.

As your engine seems to be a normal Ducato 2.2 hdi unit, I am surprised that no one has yet been able to tell you what is what and where it is located.

Are you 100% certain that the second, ("Both of them open and both have leads going to the engine. One is at the front nearest when you open the bonnet and the other is at the back") is not for the power steering??

Please let us know how you get on ....... Michael

Hymer C 9. - 2009-01-01 9:13 PM

libby - 2009-01-01 8:04 PM

I would suggest if you can not make helpful comments on a thread on motorhome matters try not to make sarcastic ones - you definitely don't know peoples circumstances, and in this case the comments are uncalled for. Carol.

I can't agree more with your comment Carol and those of Mel and Maggie. I assume that Libby thought that he was replying to a man but even if so his comment was completely uncalled for and humiliating. As it happens of course he has only humiliated himself, not Joy who has had more than her share of bad luck in recent times. I hope that these other more courteous men will be able to help you Joy and make constructive suggestions. Good luck.

ROON - 2009-01-01 7:43 PM Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am clueless with engines. Firstly which is the best engine oil to use in the motorhome .... secondly ... oh boy .... here we go... Where do I put it? I lifted the bonnet and there is one oil bottle NOT for the engine, but then there are TWO lids with an oil can symbol on. Both of them open and both have leads going to the engine. One is at the front nearest when you open the bonnet and the other is at the back. (I don't mean that othr type of oil thing - can't remember name now which is for brakes or something, I think). But which of the other two oil can symbols is the one I pour oil into. And then, what will the other one be for please and how do I check the oil in that since I don't suppose the dip stick warns me about that. The third oil for brakes etc is transparent so I can see when that is empty. Joy

Hmmm.  Two year old Peugeot Boxer, don't have manuals in van.  Unspecified reason for wanting to know where to put the oil in, and what oil to use.  Haven't looked under bonnet, with manual in hand, since purchase, so as to familiarise self with the oil, power steering, engine coolant, brake fluid or, presumably, windscreen washer, reservoirs - all of which should be regularly checked.  Well, you can see why there might be a little reluctance to advise, can't you?  Adding the wrong oil could wreck the engine.  Unlikely, but possible.  Adding engine oil to the wrong reservoir could cause very severe damage to whatever component the unlucky reservoir serves.  Could result in brake failure, steering failure, or big bills for removing oil from the cooling system. 

Would it be kinder to be blunt and cruel, or to say as the helpful ones sometimes do, oh I think you put such and such oil into that filler?

Should Roon, in any case, pay attention to any advice given on here, or should she just go to her nearest Peugeot dealership and ask them to check the levels, and top up as necessary?

Answers on a postcard, please.

Brian Kirby - 2009-01-01 11:43 PM
ROON - 2009-01-01 7:43 PM Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am clueless with engines. Firstly which is the best engine oil to use in the motorhome .... secondly ... oh boy .... here we go... Where do I put it? I lifted the bonnet and there is one oil bottle NOT for the engine, but then there are TWO lids with an oil can symbol on. Both of them open and both have leads going to the engine. One is at the front nearest when you open the bonnet and the other is at the back. (I don't mean that othr type of oil thing - can't remember name now which is for brakes or something, I think). But which of the other two oil can symbols is the one I pour oil into. And then, what will the other one be for please and how do I check the oil in that since I don't suppose the dip stick warns me about that. The third oil for brakes etc is transparent so I can see when that is empty. Joy

Hmmm.  Two year old Peugeot Boxer, don't have manuals in van.  Unspecified reason for wanting to know where to put the oil in, and what oil to use.  Haven't looked under bonnet, with manual in hand, since purchase, so as to familiarise self with the oil, power steering, engine coolant, brake fluid or, presumably, windscreen washer, reservoirs - all of which should be regularly checked.  Well, you can see why there might be a little reluctance to advise, can't you?  Adding the wrong oil could wreck the engine.  Unlikely, but possible.  Adding engine oil to the wrong reservoir could cause very severe damage to whatever component the unlucky reservoir serves.  Could result in brake failure, steering failure, or big bills for removing oil from the cooling system. 

Would it be kinder to be blunt and cruel, or to say as the helpful ones sometimes do, oh I think you put such and such oil into that filler?

Should Roon, in any case, pay attention to any advice given on here, or should she just go to her nearest Peugeot dealership and ask them to check the levels, and top up as necessary?

Answers on a postcard, please.

I agree Brian, that it is somewhat foolhardy to treat your very valuable motorhome and the general public (from a safety aspect) in this way. I would not dream of starting out on any journey without taking time to check the necessary oil and fluid levels also tyres etc, I am sorry but in not doing so I feel you could be a possible danger to both youself and the general public as a motorhome could do a lot of damage say if the brakes failed or engine seized.However I must say you are probably not alone in this as modern vehicles are so reliable the need to keep checking seems to have been forgotten, I once sacked the driver of one of my trucks after a trip back from Italy when I checked the oil level and found it was well below the minimum mark on the dipstick, and he had a full unopened gallon can of oil with him!Regards Pat

Actually Brian I think you have been quite blunt in your answer (as men more than women tend to be) and I think you have misunderstood how long Joy has had the vehicle. If my memory serves me right she has only had it a few months and presumably it was serviced etc. before the handover from the previous owner. The other mitigating factor in MHO is that women (in general and myself in particular) find no excitement or any interest at all in studying engines or indeed any other under-parts of vehicles.

As Pat and others point out a mistake can be very costly. Last year I saw a woman (who was trying to be independent) emptying the domestic water out of her mobile home boiler for the winter lay-up. Unfortunately it was the system she was emptying, not the water, so she lost all the anti-freeze and it cost £150 to replace it!

Therefore Brian I believe your final paragraph to be very pertinent and excellent advice. Joy, I think you should take Brian's advice and visit the nearest Peugeot garage and watch while they perform the necessary inspections and top-ups. You will then be better prepared to at least keep an eye on things.

Perhaps worth adding to 'sposne's' excellent overview that a vehicle's engine-oil level should be be checked only when the engine is cold. Otherwise a 'false low' dip-stick reading will be obtained that's likely to encourage over-filling.

As a rule of thumb, any under-bonnet fluid-reservoir that you can see through and has a removable cap on the top WON'T have anything to do with the vehicle's engine oil. Such reservoirs are commonly used to contain windscreen-washer fluid, brake and/or clutch fluid, or engine coolant. The reservoir for power-steering fluid may also be translucent, though the one on my elderly Golf is opaque and (because it's not possible to confirm the fluid-level in it visually) has a short dip-stick built into the cap.

It should be possible to locate the engine-oil filler from its position directly above the top of the motor, and the filler-cap will normally have a word or symbol on it to identify its purpose. If the cap is removed and its underside checked, the presence of oil should be evident. Looking down the 'hole' (which will inevitably be of fairly large diameter) beneath the filler-cap may allow mechanical engine-parts to be seen.

.......................................................................................................................

Joy:

I'm not sure which motor is fitted to your motorhome. 2006 was the change-over year when Peugeot Boxer-based motorhomes moved from a range containing 2-litre, 2.2-litre and 2.8-litre motors to the present range with 2.2-litre and 3-litre powerplants.

So it would be helpful too know if your Elddis is based on the earlier Peugeot chassis (flattish cab-front, lowish-set headlamps, not unattractive), or the current one (heavily sloping front, high-set 'slanty' headlights, more Frog than Handsome Prince). If the former, can you say which size motor it has: if the latter, can you say which size motor and (if it's a 2.2litre one) whether it has a gearbox with 5 or 6 forward-gears? Knowing your motorhome's chassis type and motor size may assist forum members in confirming which under-bonnet filler is for what.

It's quite possible that the same engine-oil type and grade will have been recommended by Peugeot for every Boxer from 2006 onwards, irrespective of its chassis or motor, but it's much better to be sure. Boxer-suitable oil will have been designed for use with diesel motors and will be of semi-synthetic type (at minimum), but there's no certain means of knowing what oil-viscosity Peugeot will have advised without seeing their recommendations.

I've yet to see a vehicle Owners' Manual that didn't provide engine-oil recommendations and, if these are followed scrupulously, there should be no problems. It's a tad risky relying on high-street retailers (like Halfords) for advice about lubricants, as there's always the chance of being offered an 'over kill' ultra-expensive oil or a 'I think this will suit, Sir/Madame' product, that probably will be OK, but just may not.

As far as my own Ford-based motorhome is concerned, if Ford say "This is the engine-oil type and grade we recommend", then that's what I'll use. I may choose not to use the Ford-branded stuff if I can't source it locally, but I'll certainly use a reputable manufacturer's oil that's meets Ford's specification.

Odd that the Halfords guy and your ex-husband (Did he ever modify your ladder?) couldn't work out what the filler-caps were for. If it's not straightforward to tell one filler from another, then the advice that you consult a Peugeot dealership makes perfect sense.

If you haven't currently got a Peugeot Boxer handbook for your motorhome, a Peugeot dealer should be able to provide or order one for you or give you a contact number to ring to ask for one. Handbooks usually don't cost much and, if you flutter your eyes at the bloke at the dealership, you might get one free (though I must admit this technique has rarely worked when I've tried it!)

Guest Tracker
It is just as important not to overfill the engine sump with oil as this too can cause significant damage and oil leaks.

Hi Joy,

Apology done, as suggested by several.

There was no email address neither any firm indication as to who was asking and it did strike rather odd that someone who has posted that many times and was obviously a seasoned M/H user was still mystified as to their engine layout. (after all the engine is the life blood of the vehicle)

And.............it was New Years Eve, anyone can post porky's when they've had a glass or two.

And..........there was no engine type or vehicle name. In fact nothing at all to indicate who the person REALLY was

Is there no booklet to describe what is what? I suggest when all the correct details are answered someone puts a plastic sticker on the covers to prevent confusion next time.

How's that.

Love Bill

Bill, thanks for doing that, it may not seem much, but it is nice for the ladies who motorhome, and use the forum  to know they can ask questions and help is out there that is what makes motorhome matters so good, that questions can be asked and the majority of motorhomers pitch in and help.The ladies on here can also play their part when it comes to the more  female  parts of motorhomeing although I know there are a lot of ladies who are well able to sort all their problems out for themselves but not all of us.

For our lighter banter we go on to chatterbox. Thanks again. Carol.

How nice to read your apology Bill - I knew there must be a gentleman behind the gruffness somewhere and I am sure that Joy will appreciate that when she can get online again.

I have to say that I do look in my engine from time to time - although I do need a step-stool to do so - but it still seems pretty mysterious to me!!

seconded. thankyou Bill.

I have given Joy the number of the mechanic that we use for our buses who is also in her area and had a word with him. He said he would show her what she needs to watch and where to put those different liquids and the correct ones to buy for her base vehicle

Hi all, thank you all very much (including Bill). I do know how to check the oil level and I agree, it seems strange that the oil is low with such low mileage .... yet there is no sign of a leak on the road. Also, I can see the transparent containers which are clearly marked for their specific purposes, BUT there are definitely TWO other oil filler caps (both marked with the logo of an oil can - exactly the same). Maggie has phoned as above and I am taking the van to her company's mechanic this weekend.

I wouldn[t put the oil in without checking first, hence I wouldnt put it where the Halfords' man suggested, whilst stating he wasn't 100% certain. (Out of interest, I even phoned the last owner and he must be as simple as me ..... he said he had noticed two fillers and fortunately never needed to put oil in, as he wondered which one to use!!!)

Thank you all again for your help. I know it is a basic maintenance function but I am totally useless. I also appreciate even the instructions on checking the oil level, as although I DID know that this time, there will probably be loads more questions (sorry :$ ) that I will need to ask and require step by step instructions to.

Hugs to all.

Joy

Don't apologise for asking questions, that's what the M/H forums are about, When my wife had a stroke some years ago I even phoned the telephone exchange ladies to ask about cooking problems. I'm not a lot better but at least I get lots of practice (and enjoy it)

Bill

Archived