Freezing problem/Lagging tanks and pipes

kevandali

Hi All

I have read other posts about winterisation but really just want to stop my external pipes and tank freezing up in future, think the temp went down to minus 6 when we were in the lakes. Recently had a bit of a problem with the external waste pipes freezing up, from the bathroom sink and kitchen sink so we could not use the bathroom or wash the pots.(water tank was ok as inside the van)

We are not intending to take the van to any cold climates but want to try and stop this happening in the future.

I do not want to go down the route of adding some sort of element but do want to lag the underslung waste water tank and pipes.

I have heard that a product called selotex should do the job, fixing it with no nails??

Any ideas how I would best achieve this?

Would a covering of selotex do the job?

The main freezing area was two round junction box looking sections that are some sort of circular filter and on opening they were both just a lump of ice.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Hi Kev,

Celotex is a sheet of rigid insulation material that you would normally use in buildings. I suppose you could construct a box around the offending jucnctions to keep the cold draught off them.

A better option might be a flexible insulation, try looking on CAK Tanks website and see what they have.

Keith.

The problem with insulation on its own is that it only delays freezing, it cannot prevent it if the cold weather continues.

From personal experience, it is the pipework which is the most vulnerable and this is where I would start.

The simple solution for the waste tank is to leave the drain open with a bucket underneath and empty opten.

Kev:

A couple of earlier related forum threads:-

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10799&posts=12

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13992&posts=11

It needs to be accepted that, as long as any part of a motorhome's water system is physically outside the vehicle, it's going to be vulnerable to freezing temperatures unless actually heated. Insulation can provide useful protection but it won't be a complete cure.

Whatever insulating method is employed it's vital that the insulating material is waterproofed somehow. If water enters the insulation itself and then freezes, it's going to do more harm than good.

I'm no fan of DIY-type adhesives like "No Nails" or "Sticks like ****" - they have their place, but it's not beneath a motorhome holding insulation on. If I were doing as Keith suggested and constructing box-structures around the junctions that have been freezing up, then I'd make very sure that the structures were mechanically attached (ie. screwed) to the motorhome. Perhaps you could construct lidded (for access) boxes round the junctions and insulate the boxes internally with builders' expanding foam?

The wife has come up with a fail safe way to sort out our freezing pipe problem.

Like most of our decisions, they are made on the cuff with very little in depth planning.

We were thinking of changing the van before the summer so it looks like our plans have moved forward as we are now looking for a motorhome similar to the Euro Mobil that has underfloor storage that contains all pipes and tanks.

Alternatively we might head down the A class route

Any ideas on makes and models much appreciated.

I agree with Spopse. Leave the waste open. I put a small amount of weak anti-freeze down both kitchen and loo wastes overnight, and if not to be used for lengthy periods, during the day. This is to catch the odd bend in the pipework where liquid might lie. For fresh water I leave the tank empty and use an inboard 10 litre container with tap. It's slightly more hassle but sees us through the few days of hard frost, like New Year in Aberdeenshire. With that, and the van heating on at least minimum over- night, and silver screens, we are very comfortable.

Archived