Winter and your Motorhome.

Hymer C 9.

This winter for family reasons have not been able to take the Motorhome out as much as we would normally do and have had some very heavy frost, although the system has been drained down and van taken for a few runs no proper use, we have had the electroblok fail (now sorted) and also the tap in the kitchen when we have now filled up with water has started shooting water from the base like a fountain, so now a new tap, what next, the question is do you use your motorhome regularly for camping in the winter if so have you had any trouble, or is it laid up and alright with no troubles, would be interesting to see if there is any difference. as it is used or not. Carol.

Guest Tracker

We leave all the taps open in winter so that any water drains back down the flexible pipe - not much help now though for you - sorry - and even then our taps froze up solid and needed a couple of hours of central heating to thaw. Don't force them when frozen!

I tend to run the engine every week or two but rarely take it out and they all seem to survive OK over the years?

Then again this is the first time in 9 years of living here that we have had enough frost to freeze anything let alone a van!

Guest JudgeMental

I move mine a bit to prevent problems with tyres...run the engine, plus cab and roof A/C as well for approx 30 minutes.

Good tip re taps, I leave the fridge and cupboards open as well

I do all above and also put the De-humidifier in for about 4 hours on Turbo setting every 2 weeks and it usually removes about 2 pints of water. It's amazing where it comes from. But well worth doing.

Carol

Not being familiar with your M/H the tap problem may be the connection and not the tap itself, is there anyone close who can provide a second opinion.

Winter non use. Every drop of water is removed including the toilet cassette also make sure the windscreen washer water is anti freeze.

All food and paper items removed. When not camping a 50 mile run each month is organised to Brighton and back, provided there is NO SALT on the roads.

Bill

Hi Carol,

We aim to use our M/H once a month, the last weekend away being at the end of November and then a day out after Christmas.

When I went to fill the fresh water tank on Friday just passed I found that the hose to the drain tap had spilt with the frosts of the last couple of weeks. I effected a temporary repair by shortening the hose past the split and cable tying the tap to the chassis.

The hose that split was the spiral type that I would normally only ever use for waste so I am going to replace it with blue drinking water hose.

What are other peoples thoughts on using spiral hose for drinking water?

Our next trip out is now under 4 weeks away and we're already planning what to do when we're away.

PS I always drain the water system down as soon as we get home and make sure all waste, etc are empty as well.

You can't beat M/Hing in the cold!

Keith.

We use our motorhome all year round. We never leave any water in the systems and leave taps open - summer or winter. We have not had any problems to date in any of the motorhomes using this method. We do regularly run and use the motorhome, even if it is just over night every other week or so if other commitments take over.

We also live in an area where in the winter we suffer from power cuts. The motorhome is ideal as we can pop in it, fire up the heating, have a hot drink and cook if needs be and also watch tv.

We prefer to regularly use the motorhome, we bought it for that purpose, rather than use it just once in a while. We have several friends who use theirs infrequently and are always having something costly going wrong. Is it just coincidence?

Hi Carol.

We use our van every 2 weeks throughout the winter. I drain down the hot, cold and waste systems after every use and leave all water and waste taps open. I have installed an external, weather-proof power socket next to my driveway and I plug the van in whenever the temperature is likely to fall below 7 degrees or so and I turn on an 800W oil-filled radiator I carry in the van. I find placing this in the centre of the van and propping open the bathroom door, keeps the whole van well above freezing. This also has the advantage that it does not become "cold-soaked" so it is warm and ready to go on each trip. I also find that leaving the locker and wardrobe doors open means I can store clothing, non-perishable foodstuffs, drinks and cleaning liquids etc in the van and this cuts down on loading time for each trip. Similarly the external electric point means I can set the fridge/freezer going 12 hours before departure and ensure it is at the correct temperature and the three on-board batteries are at max capacity before we go.

This is our second winter of this procedure and all plumbing and electrical equipment is still working well on the van.

Bob

Thanks had a read through Ed has had our tap off checked it all out we have found a crack on the pipe connectors which will affect the tap so tomorrow we will change it. Had not thought to leave the taps open, we will do it, maybe also buy a dehumidifier, Hopefully that will sort it out. Only a couple of months before we get ready to go to Greece and Italy for a couple of months so good job we are checking everything now, Carol.

If you get a De-humidifier, make sure you get a Dessicant one. As Compressor ones don't work in very cold conditions. Maplins have the one I've got @ £99 at the moment as have B&Q, It cost me £139 Grrrrr. It's white and is quite neat and not at all heavy. It can shift 7 Ltrs of water a day and has laundry drying programe as well.

Yes I was going to mention that some de-humidifiers will not remove water all the time its locked into your woodwork and upholstery (AND COLD)

A heater will free the moisture from your vehicle interior then the chiller in the devise will trap the moisture as water.

Archived