Hi - Just registered as we have just got our first motorhome - all tips welcomed

Ian_n_Suzy

Patricia - 2009-01-20 8:36 PM

Can you post some details then e.g. length, age, layout? Not being nosey but interested.

Hello,

She is a 54 plate so about 4 and 1/2 years old. Her last keepers really have looked after her, im amazed how clean she is inside. I think the length is about 26 foot and she is a 6 berth with a fixed double (mid cabin). I am a complete newbie to this game so my description is no doubt going to be garbage.

I have just taken a piccie of her (in the pitch black, lol) but will take some better one's tommorrow.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4097/dscf2375gw3.jpg

http://www.lunarcaravans.com/includes/pan/roadstar786/roadstar786.html

(The above link has a 360 degree tour from the Lunar Website. If you click the bottom right icon it puts it into full screen which is a better perspective.)

CHEERS

It looks really lovely and I can see why you are both so excited. Great layout. Hope the payload is good with all that storage. I'd be very tempted to overfill!

Has it got a reversing camera? I find this very useful as I use it instead of a rear mirror, especially useful when driving on the right. You will need to take care on steep inclines, e.g. when disembarking from the ferry, with that long overhang. Mine is much shorter but still a bit tricky getting off my drive. Hope you have lots of good adventures in it.

Hi,

Thanks again for the useful Hints & Tips.

There is indeed a reversing camera fitted, and like yourself I intend to leave it on all the time to use as a rear view mirror.

With regards to payload. Is this something I need to familiarise myself with as I only have a brief understanding of it (for what it's worth I believe the payload to be 650kg).

CHEERS

Hi Ian_n_Suzy,

Following on from your post re payload, are you aware that as your unladen weight is over 3050kg then you are limited to speed limits typically 10mph less than for a car or lighter M/H. There have been a lot of posts on this subject recently if you do a search.

Also have you checked that your driving licence covers you to drive this M/H as its MTPLM is 4250kg and if you passed your test after sometime in 1977 you will need to take a HGV test.

Sorry if you already knew this but better wise before the event.

Keith.

Keithl - 2009-01-20 10:28 PM

Also have you checked that your driving licence covers you to drive this M/H as its MTPLM is 4250kg and if you passed your test after sometime in 1977 you will need to take a HGV test.

Sorry if you already knew this but better wise before the event.

Keith.

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the info.

The following information was taken from another website, the first criteria that is highlighted in bold is what I fall within regarding the licence.

The second highlighted paragraph is what I "think" the motorhome falls within?

Have I misinterpreted it or is this information incorrect?

CHEERS

Driving Licences -

If you passed your car test before 1st January 1997, are under the age of 70 and have no medical conditions restricting your licence, you can drive a motorhome up to 7500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or 8250kg with a trailer – that covers almost all British and European motorhomes, and some Americans too.

If you passed your car test after 1st January 1997, you are licenced to drive up to 3500kg MAM, or 4250kg with a trailer (the trailer must not exceed 750kg). This will still enable you to drive the majority of motorhomes available on the market. To drive vehicles of higher weight you must take an additional test. For more information, follow this link: DVLA, What Can You Drive

The 3500kg rule also applies once you reach age 70, unless you apply to the DVLA to retain your 7500kg entitlement. This usually requires a medical; for more information, follow this link: New or Updated Licence

Class Speed Limits

Regulations - Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

Requirement - Section 86 and Schedule 6 - Speed limits for particular classes of vehicles

Penalty - level 3 fine (up to £1000) / 3 to 6 points - fixed penalty offence

Rigid Goods vehicle not exceeding 7.5 tonnes (not a car derived van) 50 mph single carriageway / 60 mph dual carriageway / 70 mph motorway

When towing a trailer - 50 mph single carriageway / 60 mph dual carriageway / 60 mph motorway

Goods vehicle exceeding 7.5 tonnes with or without a trailer - 40 mph single carriageway / 50 mph dual carriageway / 60 mph motorway

Ian & Suzy:

Back-copies of MMM reports can be purchased from the magazine's publisher, but I think these are black-and-white only. As I've still got a copy of April 2005 MMM I can post you the original full-colour 11-page Roadstar article if you'd like it. If you PM me (click on the PM box at the base of this posting) with an address to send the report to I'll drop it in the Post.

Being cursed with an eidetic memory means that recalling a 2005 motorhome report is childs-play to me (though I will admit that referring to July 2008 MMM's index of past road-tests did help slightly!)

Hi Ian n Suzy, just logged on and seen your thread, like everyone else says welcome to the forum, as you have already found it really works, always ask and 9 times out of 10 the answer will come along, your new Motorhome & it interior looks in beautiful condition and I am sure you will have lots of fun using it, on the chatterbox thread you will find all sorts from recipes for cooking in motorhome to utensils to use, welcome to the forum. Carol.

Archived