Speed Limits

Slim

Does anyone know the legal speed limits for motorhomes? I have just been looking at the highway code. This indicates that anything above 2 tonnes gross, is restricted to 50mph on single carriageways, 60mph on dual carriageways, but 70mph on motorways. I can find no exclusions for our vehicles and was not aware of these limit, so the question is, Can anyone clarify this and does this apply to the continent too?

Bob :$

Thanks for the instant response.

I tried searching on speed, but nothing came up, weight came up with nothing about speed

The link provides some comfort, but no indication where they got the information from. I have looked on the government sites, but can find no mention of exclusions for motorhomes.

Bob

Thanks again for both replies.

I still couldn't find the info on a search.

This has been niggling at me since reading the Highway Code for probably the first time in many years.

I have visited the links given and

As you say there are explanations on both sites and

UK motorhomes.net gives its source as

Section 86 (1) and Schedule 6 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

This only excludes motorhomes over 3050kg UNLADEN. So you may assume that below this figure, we are treated as a car.

As they have discussed it with VOSA and had a ruling, I feel happy, I can quote the relevant legislation if needed.

Serves me right for looking at the highway code after 45 yrs driving.

Have been reading forums for many years, but I missed any threads on the subject. Must be my age! :$

Happy weekend. Bob :-D

Thanks for that David. My original concern was that although I also thought it was the same as a car, the highway code did not seem to agree (anythig over 2 tonnes limited - not very clear). I could not find anything on a government or DVLA site which stated in black and white that a motorhome was a special case.

Bob

David Dwight - 2009-01-25 3:33 PM

Slim

If you vehicle is under 3.5t then its the same as a private car.

David

David - I may have misunderstood your point, but if you are suggesting that the speed limits of any motorhome under 3.5 tonnes GVW are the same as a car, that is not true.

Motorhomes with an ACTUAL weight of over 3050kgs are subject to some lower limits.

There was copious debate on thsi subject about a month ago on this forum.

David Dwight - 2009-01-25 3:33 PM Slim If you vehicle is under 3.5t then its the same as a private car. David

Er, no Sir!  As BGD says, this is incorrect.  In the UK, the lower limits only apply where the unladen weight exceeds 3050Kg: the MAM is not directly relevant.  (However, outside the UK, the lower limits do generally apply where the MAM exceeds 3,500Kg.)  It is likely that a vehicle with a MAM less than 3,500Kg laden will have an unladen weight below 3,050Kg, but for UK MAM is not the determinant.

Do a search on "Motorhome Matters" using "unladen weight" as the keyword, and set time to one year.  You'll get chapter and verse, and more to boot!

Do a search on "Motorhome Matters" using "unladen weight" as the keyword, and set time to one year.  You'll get chapter and verse, and more to boot!

Thanks for this Brian, All is explained. I'm amazed I missed the thread before Christmas and more amazed I could not find it with the search facility (aged person here). Sorry to all for duplicating, but hope it's been of use to others who may have also missed it with the Christmas excitement . Is that the right word?

Bob

• 1 month later...
Pat - 2009-03-12 10:00 PM

How about an RV that requires LGV licence and weighs 13,500kgs gross is it still 50mph on single carriageway roads or 40 as per HGV's?

Regards Pat

Gosh I would never have guessed by the way HGVs thunder along that they are governed at 40mph on single carriageways. Is this really true? I frequently find them "pushing" me from behind on these sometimes narrow and bendy roads in my area.

Patricia (and all)

I have just found a table on the DfT website that shows the speed limits for all Cars, Vans and HGV's. It may make interesting reading as a lot of drivers do not seem to know the correct speed limits.

Does anyone have a link to an official website that gives the speed limits for M/H's please as I cannot find anything on Dft, etc?

Keith.

A couple of links here:

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/roadsafe/speed/index.htm

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=6&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=0&activetextdocid=2224141

My understanding of the 3050kg unladen weight limit is the ex. works weight stated on the certificate of conformity, if you get nicked doing 70 on a dual carriageway of you will need to produce your cert. to get them to drop the case.

Archived