So, what MH would suit our needs?

Ian_n_Suzy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you leave my mum out of this, she is 83 and around half my size.

I only put that as payload to get a rise out of Dave N but he didn't bite this time. :-D

Well done on selling the van, you sound very sad about it though.

Never mind think of the fun in choosing another.

Mandy

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2009-02-03 7:19 PM
Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-03 6:51 PM Hello, We have just sold the MH to a lovely couple who hopefully will get alot of use out of her. We will miss her as she is a real beauty (she looks like new). My first thoughts are that we would like to now look for a smaller and slightly cheaper MH more suitable to our needs. I will keep you posted and no doubt drive you mad with questions again just shortly. CHEERS

What, you mean gone, and you've got the money already?  Strewth, that was quick!!

Told you so, I new it would be an easy van to shift...very popular with couples.the wonders of e*ay! Can't be beaten for cheap mass advertising, and a quick sale. :-D

We have been to 4 "localish" dealers today. We have looked at stacks of different Motorhomes, and we only foundb a couple that kind of tick the boxes as we have come up with since using the forum.

If I am completely honest nothing really got our juices flowing (unlike the Lunar we have just sold).

Out of what we have seen thus far the Ci Carioca 656 seems to tick most of the boxes followed closely by the Rollerteam 600 (we are hopefully going to look at the 700 tommorrow which looks good from the wesbite).

What is the forums thoughts on the build quality of these as I think they are both from the same stable. They seem very well priced but is this at the expensive of much quality?

We are by no means decided on anything yet, but I am sure we are going the right way.

CHEERS FOR EVERYTHING.

Don't forget to insist on being able to test vans properly for 'judder', ie find a suitable hill and reverse up. Also, watch out for ones that have been flood damaged as I bet some will have found their want into dealers by now or even private ownership ... be careful and make sure you carry out checks - so that you don't forget, make sure you have a tick list of what needs looking at so you don't miss anything.

Guest JudgeMental

I and a lot of people I believe prefer the quality associated with German motorhomes..,,,,..It's a bit like cars really *-)

But I would not touch latest Fiat chassis at the moment, talk about out of the fire and into the frying pan......

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2009-02-04 11:00 PM

I and a lot of people I believe prefer the quality associated with German motorhomes..,,,,..It's a bit like cars really *-)

But I would not touch latest Fiat chassis at the moment, talk about out of the fire and into the frying pan......

whats your budget? Here is result of german magazine Promobil survey of popular vans......

up to 45k Euro:

1 Hymer Camp 34,3 %

2 Dethleffs Advantage A 30.2%

3 Hobby Siesta AK 15.3%

4 Eura Mobil Profila A 14.2%

5 Bürstner Nexxo Family

up to 60k Euro range:

1 Dethleffs Fortero A 29.5%

2 Eura Mobil Terrestra A 25.0%

3 Dethleffs Advantage A-2 17.7%

4 Karmann Colorado 16.9%

5 Hobby Toskana AK 15.9%

Chausson and Adria are worth a look as well....: These are new prices used can be found on sites like www.mobile.de

-D

Hello,

We have'nt really set a budget (I know that's no help).

We looked at the Burstner Nexxo 6xx (can't remember which) and we did'nt like the layout.

We also looked at a 2008 unregistered Chausson Welcome 17, which was'nt in as good a condition as the 4 1/2 years old Lunar we have just sold.

I really liked the Adria 660 SP ???? - But they only had on display the model without the Overcab bed at the first place we visited, but he did offer a good deal on a 2008 unregistered one with the Overcab bed that he could get direct from Adria.

With this we went to another showroom that had a similar model with the Overcab bed in to see what it was like, and I found it a real struggle to get out of (im not the slightest of things, but im still quite mobile).

This is where we ended up looking at the Rollerteam and the Ci Carioca. I do prefer that the Rollerteam uses the Ford Transit Cab, which is why we want to take a look at the Rollerteam 700 Model. This does seem to tick most of the boxes.

Unfortunately I been run off my feet allday and have'nt had chance to find anywhere with one in stock, close enough for us to go and view.

p.s Im going to be completely honest with you, if we are going to buy new, then I do want as many boxes ticking as possible.

The trouble is, I am a bugger for a bargain. And so long as the "Seat Belt" & "Safety" options were ticked. I would buy almost anything at the right price.

Some will think it's the wrong attitude, but I cannot help what I am.

Hi Ian n Suzy,

A slightly biased suggestion perhaps but there is a very nice looking, one owner, Auto Trail Scout on a Mercedes 316 chassis for sale by Alan Kerr on eBay at the moment. It's got the overcab bed and 2 forward facing belted seats in the dinette as you seem to require.

We are extremely pleased with our AT which is also on a Merc. Just think, no judder and no cam belts! The Merc option when new was quite an oncost, especially this one with the 2.7 litre 160 HP engine.

Happy hunting and hope you find a M/H that meets your needs,

Keith.

Keithl - 2009-02-05 7:45 PM

Hi Ian n Suzy,

A slightly biased suggestion perhaps but there is a very nice looking, one owner, Auto Trail Scout on a Mercedes 316 chassis for sale by Alan Kerr on eBay at the moment. It's got the overcab bed and 2 forward facing belted seats in the dinette as you seem to require.

We are extremely pleased with our AT which is also on a Merc. Just think, no judder and no cam belts! The Merc option when new was quite an oncost, especially this one with the 2.7 litre 160 HP engine.

Happy hunting and hope you find a M/H that meets your needs,

Keith.

Thanks for the heads up - I will take a look now.

Hi ian_n_suzy

Glad to see you are trying everything out before you buy - like getting in and out of the overcab bed. It seems a small thing to be thinking of now but these 'small' things become 'big' things when you have to live with them!

To see all the latest new motorhomes the next show is at the NEC between 17 and 22 February. Good place to see lots under one roof.

http://www.boatandcaravan.co.uk/

Good luck,

David

Hi,

There appear to be alot of exhibitors at the show, we will deffo give it a whirl.

With regards to the spare wheel issue I never really gave it a thought (I took it for granted they would all come with one, obviously this is not the case).

I would rather have one, but I don't think not having one would deter me from an otherwise perfect MH.

(I have had a few weird cars in the past that only had a can of the "get you out of a pickle", tyreweld type stuff).

CHEERS

I & S

I'm receiving strong vibes that you are 'hell bent' on 'getting aboard' a M/H as soon as possible.

I can only suggest take your time and consider well. All the salesmen are there to sell their product above all others.

Do not decide at a show although you may be offered great prizes to do just that.

When you've decided which one may be the better for you, come back here and tell us, you'll then receive some pretty sound answers.

They will all look fabulous with showroom lighting to entice you. The vehicles will be on their best behaviour and the public will be all misty eyed goggling at all the new novelty assessories.

Go with a preset list of wants and don't wants, and don't be influenced by the salesman!!!

Choose a quality engine, it will be a higher financial outlay but may save you big money 2 years up the road.

Don't be attracted by the pretty interior. In stormy weather you may have to live in it for several days solid. Make sure there's room for you all to have your own space.

Consider it as something you are going to live in for several years and don't forget children grow in size!!

I may even visit myself although not buying.

Bill

To add to what libby has said, the offers you get at shows will still be there later ... they will try to tell you that it is just a show offer but you can be sure that if you're wanting to buy from them you'll still get the deal, we actually got a better deal later!

Also, don't be tempted to buy from a dealer 100s of miles away, if you have problems and need to go to them for warranty repairs, you'll be fed up if you have to travel great distances to do so, especially if there is a more local dealer who you could've got the van from for a similar deal - don't forget to play them off against each other for deals but also remember they do have to make a living and if you have to go back for work on your van you want to be made to feel welcome!

If you go for a nearly-new van you'll probably find that you can get a lot more for your money and get lots of toys as well (bike rack, awning) that the previous owner has put on that, in reality, doesn't really add to the price.

Leave your credit cards, wallet etc at home and just take a bit of cash, that way you can't be tempted to 'buy' on the spot ... it is VERY tempting indeed!!!

Hi Libby, Mel.

Many thanks for your continued advice, I don't want this to appear ungrateful. I AM VERY VERY GRATEFUL. I definately need all the advice I can get on what would make the perfect MH for us. This is the domain of you guys.

But when it comes to Salesmen, PLEASE don't worry about me, lol. I am said Salesmans worst nightmare.

At the risk of putting you all off me eternally. I ran my own used car sales business for 20 years and believe me when I say this. I know ALL the tricks in the book.

I Hope this puts your minds at rest, lol.

If you go to the show, take a camera and take a few pics inside any vans that appeal.  Won't be easy, because they will be full of other showgoers, but it is surprising how they all fuse together in the memory when you try to recall a particular van!

Do be aware that many folk use the luton bed only for storage.  This is in part because so many of these beds have restricted headroom - so that an adult cannot sit up in bed, many are difficult to access - via uncomfortable metal runged ladders, both of which will be to all intents and purposes impossible to test at a show, and those that do give adequate headroom result in a van standing in excess of 3 metres high - which can make siting under nice, shade giving, trees, in countries like Spain where the sun is hot and the luton otherwise converts into a slow cooker, quite fraught!

It is probably best, if you can, to visit twice.  Just look around and gather up the catalogues on the first visit, and make especially sure you get the technical supplements - you know, the boring bit without all the pretty pictures, that contains information like battery size, water capacity, length, width, height, MAM and, above all, payload or unladen weight.  Make sure you get at least a Hymer catalogue and, preferably a Burstner catalogue as well, even if the vans don't appeal that much.  From experience, both these firms compile exemplary catalogues, and their technical supplements set out in detail how the various weights are calculated, as well as the the additional weights of all options, including those of chassis options such as different engine/transmission combinations.  Then go home and compare the offerings of the various makers.  I think you'll soon see who inspires confidence, and who doesn't.  Then, make a shortlist, and return to closely audition those.

Finally, to echo a comment above, don't get excited by anything on a SEVEL (Fiat, Citroen or Peugeot) base; while the present farce over judder in reverse remains unresolved, it just isn't worth the risk.  Ford, Renault, or Mercedes, even Iveco, seem fine.  It may benefit all those who are suffering from unresolved judder problems if you ask sales staff what they can offer that is not on a SEVEL chassis, and make clear to them why.  If they say it has now been fixed, just tell them politely (but quite loudly :-) ) that it has not, and you have several hundred acquaintances who can back you up on that!

Happy hunting.

Archived