So, what MH would suit our needs?

Ian_n_Suzy

Hi,

Thanks yet again for the marvellous advice.

Regarding "The Judder", I have read up but there are so many posts it's hard to find anything. Des this only happen on a "Sevel" Chassis? I take it this is the make? So this does'nt affect Al-Ko chassis' ?

What chassis is the X2/50 ? Is this affected?

CHEERS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ian and suzi

when you are considering a MH ask yourselves if you want a fire or blow heating most of the continentals have battery sapping blow heaters. Auto-trail take some beating for absolute quality and most of the dealers have very good service back-up because auto-trail have a very good spare parts supply network and deliver to dealers on a regular basis. How many manufacturers do that?

Good hunting,

Roland Rat.

Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-07 6:39 PM Hi, Thanks yet again for the marvellous advice. Regarding "The Judder", I have read up but there are so many posts it's hard to find anything. Des this only happen on a "Sevel" Chassis? I take it this is the make? So this does'nt affect Al-Ko chassis' ? What chassis is the X2/50 ? Is this affected? CHEERS

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  SEVEL is a joint venture between Fiat and PSA (Peugeot/Citroen).  There is one factory in Italy, at which all the Citroen Jumpers, Peugeot Boxers and Fiat Ducatos are made.  The severe judder problem is shared by all the vehicles produced at this factory, of whichever make.  There are some variations in severity, depending on which engine/gearbox/final drive has been specified but, unless you want to become a total anorak, the simplest remedy is stay clear.

AlKo chassis are a bolt-on replacement for the rear portion of the standard SEVEL chassis/cab.  They provide a different rear suspension.  They give some advantages to ride and roadholding, but do nothing to cure judder. 

AlKo chassis are added to other makes of chassis/cab, and there is no need to worry about these.  It is only the Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat vans that have the problem.

Hi Brian,

I am still struggling to understand how I would spot a "Judder" MH from a none "Judder" MH.

For instance, the Lunar (2004) had the Fiat Ducatto 2.8 Jtd - It was an Al-Ko chassis. It didn't judder whilst reversing up an incline.

Is this because of

a) the age of the MH (and if so what is the age the problem started) or

b) because it has an Al-Ko Chassis or

c) Because it does'nt affect the 2.8 Jtd.

I wish I could get my head around how this.

It could be a problem as I am not neccessarily going to buy a new vehicle , I may buy something a few months or even a couple of years old.

(example: a 2006 Ci Carioca with the Fiat 2.3, is this likely to be affected ?)

CHEERS.

Guest JudgeMental
Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-07 8:38 PM

It could be a problem as I am not neccessarily going to buy a new vehicle , I may buy something a few months or even a couple of years old.

(example: a 2006 Ci Carioca with the Fiat 2.3, is this likely to be affected ?)

CHEERS.

No, it is the latest model with different front which is best to avoid for now.....

The earlier one is a bit long in the tooth as well, nowhere as refined as latest models drive them and compare........ They are agricultural in comparison IMO. But you will need to buy from 07 onwards. If you intend to travel in southern Europe in the height of summer you will need cab a/c and roof a/c makes life more comfortable as well.

Stick with manufacturers that Brian recommends. Also it is no coincidence that most on here with half a brain have a van from the list of manufacturers that I posted earlier. And LHD is still cheaper and better value IMO and much easier to use in Europe and no trouble here either.

Be very cautious at shows/dealers. Very good advice to visit on 2 days......you will be surprised how your thought processes shift and adjust to the enormous amount of info you have to assimilate*-)

Buy in haste repent at leisure..........

:-D

Guest JudgeMental
Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-07 9:22 PM

Hi,

So, this http://www.autocity.com/img/actualidad/galerias/Fiat_Ducato_2.2_Multijet_3021_11.jpg is one of the JudderGate candidates..

....and this one is not http://www.stanningley-commercials.co.uk/DSCF0065.JPG is not a candidate

??? Or am I CONFUSED.COM

THANKS for the above advice.

Correct!.......Boy George they've got it! :-D

JudgeMental - 2009-02-07 9:25 PM

Hi,

So, this http://www.autocity.com/img/actualidad/galerias/Fiat_Ducato_2.2_Multijet_3021_11.jpg is one of the JudderGate candidates..

....and this one is not http://www.stanningley-commercials.co.uk/DSCF0065.JPG is not a candidate

??? Or am I CONFUSED.COM

Does the colour matter? lol.

MANY THANKS

Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-07 9:37 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-02-07 9:25 PM

Hi,

??? Or am I CONFUSED.COM

Does the colour matter? lol.

MANY THANKS

Only to the fashion police.....................................

But you will find almost any colour (besides white) now goes when it comes to new motorhomes.

Enjoy the show.

David

If you do go down the route of LHD, check the insurance out first as it can cost more and also they are generally harder to sell when you want to change.

I would rather drive a RHD van abroad than a LHD van in Britain as the roads abroad are much less congested.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2009-02-08 5:29 PM

If you do go down the route of LHD, check the insurance out first as it can cost more and also they are generally harder to sell when you want to change. I would rather drive a RHD van abroad than a LHD van in Britain as the roads abroad are much less congested.

Even though the cost saving is diminishing buying LHD, I would never consider a RHD. I have been driving LHD for years and like many otrhers have never had a problem in the UK. Plus the advantages of driving abroad are obvious.

As for insurance I dont think they are more expensive to insure at all.......or worth less on resale quite the opposite in fact.

We'll have to agree to differ on that point then Judge I'm afraid as my experience when we were considering a LHD van was that they were indeed more expensive to insure and were worth less than a RHD drive version. I suppose if you've bought it cheaper though, then that off-sets the reduced value. :-S

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2009-02-09 7:30 PM

I suppose if you've bought it cheaper though, then that off-sets the reduced value. :-S

You suppose right, some 12-15k with my last camper.....Have seen others paying considerbly more and being misold older models....

Trying to add some balance to the thread that’s all. We are dealing with newbie’s here.....And I have never seen the point of a RHD van when it's primarily for use in Europe, especially with the savings available if you do your homework.

JudgeMental - 2009-02-09 8:31 PM

We are dealing with newbie’s here.....

Did someone say Newbie ? :)

We went to look at the Rollerteam 700 today, very nice van. We also looked at the Carioca 746, this also seemed to tick all the boxes.

The trouble now is, we are thinking it best to buy a couple of years old, so that most of the "bits and bobs" have already been fitted (plus I hate initial depreciaition).

With regards to the LHD thing, I would prefer RHD though everything you say makes perfect sense (plus, I know LHD cars for the past few years have been making quite a premium more than their RHD counterparts. Primarily because they end up exported to Europe).

I still get emailed sales lists from the car auctions. I got one today that has a German (I think?) MH in. It's called a WEINSBERG METEOR, out of interest any one know much about them?

Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-09 9:28 PM
. I got one today that has a German (I think?) MH in. It's called a WEINSBERG METEOR, out of interest any one know much about them?

Weinsberg motorhomes were manufactured by the Knaus/Tabbert group and the range was "badge engineered" based on Knaus models.

It appears that Knaus/Tabbert are no longer trading.

Bazza454 - 2009-02-09 10:23 PM
Ian_n_Suzy - 2009-02-09 9:28 PM
. I got one today that has a German (I think?) MH in. It's called a WEINSBERG METEOR, out of interest any one know much about them?

Weinsberg motorhomes were manufactured by the Knaus/Tabbert group and the range was "badge engineered" based on Knaus models.

It appears that Knaus/Tabbert are no longer trading.

They are reported as back in business after a rescue by a Dutch finance group.  It is not, at present, clear to what extent they will carry on as before.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2009-02-09 7:30 PM

We'll have to agree to differ on that point then Judge I'm afraid as my experience when we were considering a LHD van was that they were indeed more expensive to insure and were worth less than a RHD drive version. I suppose if you've bought it cheaper though, then that off-sets the reduced value. :-S

Just thought I would clear this insurance issue up....

So I called Saga, comfort and my present insurer safeguard. All said the same, LHD or RHD makes absolutely no difference to cost of insurance.

As for value, if this was primarily a RHD dealers opinion what do you expect them to say lol. Most LHD vans make good money privately. And I have seen many buy and use for a year or two and get a very good price.

Re exchange rates, I priced a new Hymer from Belgium recently and it was still £10.000 cheaper then here. With a better standard specification as well, drop down bed included etc.....

While off topic, this does illustrate the problems with buying insurance over the 'phone.  I phoned Saga for a quote three years ago, and was told no difference for LHD.  I was not entirely satisfied with the manner of this answer and pushed a bit harder.  After the supervisor was consulted, it transpired Saga did, in fact, apply a loading for LHD.  By then I had completely lost faith in their grasp of their own product and, as Comfort did not apply a loading, and could add Europe-wide breakdown cover at a bargain price, I went with them.  I have always wondered whether, had I accepted Saga's quote, had an accident, and then been told my vehicle was uninsured as I had not declared it to be LHD, Saga would have been able to find their tape of my original conversation in which I told them it was.  Hmmmmmmm!

Still off topic, used LHD motorhome values are interesting.  Based on experience, my impression is that although used LHD vans are cheaper than their RHD equivalents, the actual depreciation is lower.  That is to say, if you bought outside the UK, but then sell used in the UK, you lose less cash than you would had you bought an identical RHD van new in the UK.  The main reason seems to be the much higher mark ups the UK dealers charge on new vans compared to non-UK dealers.

Archived