Scotland

Mad Cow

We are new to this game and are planning a trip to Scotland from our home in Hertford. We may visit friends in Thornton Cleveleys on the way up but we have only about 9 days to play with and would like to visit Northumberland and Yorkshire too on way back down. Any ideas for good sites to stay? We have a 28ft motorhome and don't have any form of other transport at the moment (thinking about electric bikes) but don't mind hiring a car from anywhere either. Sites within walking distance of things would be great or near to local transport. We are setting off last week March.

Any help you experienced people out there can give will be most appreciated.

P.S. We used to love the Out and About Magazine and have not been able to get it - is it discontinued now?

I would suggest joining either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club or even both if you plan to travel a lot in this country, they will provide you with good sites books and maps. The maps have all the sites marked on route and and the books will tell you how near or far you are from villages bus stops pubs etc;

Enjoy your Motorhoming Scotland is lovely especially viewed while driving the scenery is second to non. The Edinbrugh site is very handy for getting into the city you can catch a bus from outside the site. But they are many more far to many to list.

Scotland is 2/3rds size of England and with visits to Yorkshire and Northumbaland will leave you with proboly 5days at best, not long, personaly I prefer west coast and islands, but that may be pushing it a bit if you want to relax, so maybe stick to borders and Edinburgh?

You haven't really got enough time to do all the places you want I'm afraid. Decide on one, or 2 at most and enjoy them, rather than rush around driving rather than enjoying the places you visit.

As for O&A mag - yes, it' has ceased to exist.

It would be helpful to know what your interests are - wild scenery, art galleries and museums, pubs and restaurants, hill walking, watersports ? Scotland is larger than most of those who have never visited imagine, and of course offers variety to suit varied interests

Mad Cow - 2009-02-03 8:09 PM

We are new to this game and are planning a trip to Scotland from our home in Hertford. We may visit friends in Thornton Cleveleys on the way up but we have only about 9 days to play with and would like to visit Northumberland and Yorkshire too on way back down. Any ideas for good sites to stay? We have a 28ft motorhome and don't have any form of other transport at the moment (thinking about electric bikes) but don't mind hiring a car from anywhere either. Sites within walking distance of things would be great or near to local transport. We are setting off last week March.

Any help you experienced people out there can give will be most appreciated.

P.S. We used to love the Out and About Magazine and have not been able to get it - is it discontinued now?

As others have said you do not have enough time, would suggest the borders. Caravan club have great sites at Edinburgh and North Berwick. You can get a bus from the Edinburgh site into town and plenty of walking from North Berwick. You can then easily move down to Northumberland and Yorkshire taking in Holy Island on the way.

Try Lomond woods cp at Balloch on the southern end of loch lomond. It is a nice site and is walking distance to local eateries and shopping outlets and tourist attractions...it is not far from Glasgow..from there you have the wonderful Trossachs...Glencoe, Stirling (braveheart country)..the list is endless.

Do you want to travel around or be based in a particular area.

Both the clubs sites are now becoming very expensive...ever though about off site camping...usually not too much bother in Scotland....but most of all enjoy the marvellous country and ...hast ye back!!!! :-D :-D

Ned Swift - 2009-02-04 5:40 PM

Has anyone stayed on Holy Island overnight?

That is intentionally, not trapped by the rising sea!!

(?)

Nautical Ned

edited by Ned as he has lost his ability to spel

You cannot camp on Holy Island overnight. You can wild camp on the mainland end of causeway or their is a CL a couple of miles up the road.

Hi Mad Cow

The caravan club do a deal with one of the national car hire companies at some of their sites. Knowing the CC it an't much of a deal, but might be worth a try. I think that they deliver the cars to the site as well.

The Caravan Club site at Berwick -upon -Tweed is'nt too bad, close to Berwick which is a nice old town (Co-pilot did'nt think much to the shops but hey-ho it saves the wallet a bit). There is a bit of railway noise which might put you off if you want complete pease and quiet.

Easy to walk/bus into Berwick, and if beaches is your thing , a nice one within walking distance.

If you had bikes there is a great ride down the coast to Holy Island all away from traffic.

When I was up that way there was a number of m/h s just off the road in the dunes at the end of the causeway to Holy Island which looked like they were wild camping.

As we also have a 28ft motorhome we know the problems of parking it.

If you are into casltes or gardens, Alnwick is a great place. There are motorhome bays at the Alnwick Castle gardens carpark so you can visit the castle, gardens and they are both practically in the centre of town.

The CC site at Melrose is again in the centre of town. Plenty to see and do round there, with public transport links all round the border towns.

Hi Mad Cow

The caravan club do a deal with one of the national car hire companies at some of their sites. Knowing the CC it an't much of a deal, but might be worth a try. I think that they deliver the cars to the site as well.

The Caravan Club site at Berwick -upon -Tweed is'nt too bad, close to Berwick which is a nice old town (Co-pilot did'nt think much to the shops but hey-ho it saves the wallet a bit). There is a bit of railway noise which might put you off if you want complete pease and quiet.

Easy to walk/bus into Berwick, and if beaches is your thing , a nice one within walking distance.

If you had bikes there is a great ride down the coast to Holy Island all away from traffic.

When I was up that way there was a number of m/h s just off the road in the dunes at the end of the causeway to Holy Island which looked like they were wild camping.

If you are into casltes or gardens, Alnwick is a great place. There are motorhome bays at the Alnwick Castle gardens carpark so you can visit the castle, gardens and they are both practically in the centre of town.

The CC site at Melrose is again in the centre of town. Plenty to see and do round there, with public transport links all round the border towns.

Hi Mad Cow

Hello Mad cooo,

Just a we extra bit of sight seeing here. If your driving up the M6 then M74 turn off at junction 15, Moffat. You can stay at the Caravan site here if you want and cruise the shops.

If not carry on up the main A701 through Moffat to Edinburgh, via Devils Beef Tub, Source of river Tweed, Broughton where they make beer, Lamancha, Leadburn, Penicuik then City bypass.

Lovely, lovely scenery atop Beef Tub and down through the pine forrests.

For free overnight stop, try Sherrifhall Park and ride on A7, stones throw from famous Sherifhall Roundabout . Buses from here go through City centre and turn for return at Ingliston which is not an overnight stay.

Your on 28ft but if you park against the kerb you should be ok. See staff in waiting room if your not so sure. Plenty room.

Ps if a big Volvo passes you enroute and flashes, its just me.

Gordon...

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for sightseeing tips. I suspect we wont get much further than this as we do want to take in Northumberland too. But Devils Beef Tub sounds a good idea as we love scenic routes.

Will be watching for that Volvo!

Regards

Mad Cow

Hi Howard

Thanks for the parking tips. Alnwick sounds favourite. Also keen to bike ride at Holy Island but need to get some first - next on agenda!

I am new too this too and have not quite got the hang of it. I have tried to upload a photograph but it has got lost in the ether somewhere!

Cheers

Mad Cow

We live in Northumberland and would suggest Caravan/Camping club site at Dunston Steads 15min walk from beach. From the beach to the right you can walk to Dunstonburgh castle then carry on to Craster for there famous kippers and also the pub sells the best crab sandwiches and home made chips. From the beach to the left you walk to Newton by the sea tiny village with another good pub and food, I forgot to say very good real ales at both pubs. We stayed there for a week and cycled around most of the time. We also went up the east coast of Scotland and travelled down the west stopping at CC sites, great scenery but costly.

Hello BSE,

Sounds a nice trip in store, if a little rushed. I can't help on the Scottish aspects (I start my own first trip there next month) but can recommend two places in north-east England.

1. If you're going to Holy Island, it's worth also travelling a little further south along the coast to Bamburgh. Even if you don't stay over (there are some sites around there), take a couple of hours to look around. It's dramatic and imposing.

I stayed a few miles south of there at a site called Annstead Farm, Beadnell. I was in a caravan at the time but don't recall hardstandings, so not sure it's suitable for MHs. See www.annstead.co.uk for details. A bit pricey. Nice place; nice people.

2. Further south, I stayed at Robin Hood's Bay, in North Yorkshire. The site has a few hardstandings. It also has a wonderful view over the bay itself, with a (steep) footpath into the village, and is handy for Whitby (ruined abbey, Dracula and first-class fish and chips). More reasonably priced; also nice people. See http://www.hookshousefarm.holidaylovers.co.uk .

Hope you have a good time wherever you decide to go.

Roger

There's also a C&CC site at Beadnell. No hook-up or hardstanding but it took our 24ft Hymer without any problem.  But maybe best to check if there's been a lot of rain. Site is next to a main road but the noise levels are ok. Just across this road is a rocky beach, but it's walkable on. In the village itself there are a couple of pubs and a beautiful sandy beach. There is a big car park and we've wild camped there, but only in the off-season. there's a couple of big sites closeby and they would probably have you moved on if they were open. No shops in Beadnell but there are in Seahouses about 6 miles or so away. Agree with previous post re Moffat. Good selection of pubs etc and if you like woollen mills.

ike 

Archived