Cleaning

debutante

We've had our Compass motorhome for about 18 months now, and have, I'm afraid, relied on the rain to keep the roof clean. However, from our bedroom window at home, I can now see green patches and dirt on the roof, and recognise we need to be a bit more pro-active.

Has anyone and tips on how to do this safely? Motorhomes seem reallly high when you get close up, and balancing with an brush on a ladder doesn't seem either effective or very safe. Do any dealers have facilities on can use at a price?

I would appreciate any advice.

Guest JudgeMental
debutante - 2009-02-26 2:17 PM

Has anyone and tips on how to do this safely? Motorhomes seem reallly high when you get close up, and balancing with an brush on a ladder doesn't seem either effective or very safe. Do any dealers have facilities on can use at a price?

I would appreciate any advice.

The Working at Height (Amendment) Regulations 2007 state a hierarchy of control measures are required........Starting with a stable platform with hand rail (all around) at a height of 1100. If you choose another potentially less safe form of access a site specific risk assessment is required. This assessment has to be written by a competent person, e.g. one with the training, knowledge and experience to access the risk.

Your van is not particularly high, mine is a lot higher and this is what I do (I don’t know your physical capabilities, age etc....so this is what I do - not what you should do?) I use a stable pair of tall step ladders and get someone to hold them (foot them) while I clean the roof. Failing that pay a couple of local scrot’s to do it for you for a few quid........

Fenwick’s available from Halfords is the best cleaner I have ever used and makes light work of cleaning a van....wish I had known about it years ago!

I use a sturdy pair of step ladders that reach above roof height. They are the sort that form a solid triangle in the lower half.

You should allow plenty of working space all around. I keep the area I might all into clear of any hazards which might do me a mischief. I always have someone who keeps an eye on me when I am doing the work and sometimes will hold the ladder if I think it is not as safe as it should be.

I use a long handled and adustable brush, Mer wash and polish, and lots of elbow grease. Read the Mer instructions so the effort is worthwhile. The constant walking up and down ladders and stretching is a good workout so please be sure you are fit and able.

Watch the ladders do not knock into the van. I use a towel lashed to the ladder whenre I think this may happen (it did once when the wind blew the ladders into a wing and dented it).

Out of habit, I wash and polish the roof every 6 months or so.

The only safe way to do it is either to buy or rent appropriate scaffolding or similar and follow health & safety rules. Tool hire shops should be able to advise. Also wear appropriate clothing (you may get soaked; van wash/polish can stain) and footwear that will not slip in the wet.

I would not recommend using a power or jet wash because of the risk to the van seams.

My neighbour wears a cycle helmet when up a ladder.

Hi Deb

This is my novel ( and Safe) method.

I back the van up to the house. under the bedroom window over the garage, and use an extendable brush, from the window.

I first use the pressure wash, on low pressure, to spray Fenwick,s Motorhome Cleaner onto the roof.

I then go upstairs and agitate the cleaner through the window, with the extended brush, then return to the presure wash to spray rinse the roof.

DO NOT FORGET TO CLOSE THE BEDROOM WINDOW>

I then clean onto the front of the roof in the normal way, with the long brush from the ground, and low pressure rinse off

Ken

Hi Eleanor,

I have an 'Ankalad' fitted to the lower half of my extension ladder and with this the ladder becomes a very stable, freestanding step ladder. You can reach out either side to literally your arms length without any risk of toppling. I can easily reach onto the roof our M/H which is just over 3 metres (10 feet) high.

If you Google 'Ankalad' you will find many links and full explanations of it.

The added advantage is that it also has it's original use of preventing an extension ladder slipping or toppling over when in normal use.

I also use mine for cutting the hedge, pruning trees and even fruit picking as it is far more versatile than any large step ladder.

Keith.

PS. Another Forum user (sorry can't remember who) said in a previous post that they had a second hand one one for sale so you might get offered one if you are lucky.

Keithl - 2009-02-26 9:04 PM

PS. Another Forum user (sorry can't remember who) said in a previous post that they had a second hand one one for sale so you might get offered one if you are lucky.

That might have been me Keith but I'm afraid it's now sold.

I climb up the rear ladder onto the roof and use the pressure washer to get it clean. I'm 63 and pretty fit by the way so it may not suit a lot of you.

Many thanks for all your responses. I'm now looking at ladders of the type that you've described. Thanks also for the tips about which cleaning agents to use.

Hopefully, I'm going to be able to persuade my husband to get up the ladder once we've got one!

sirhandel - 2009-02-27 1:48 PM

...or give your MH local service centre/dealer a call. West Country MHs quote £25 for an external valet incl. roof.

That sounds an excellent idea! I've just been onto my local dealer, and it's £30 up here. (My husband's even more thrilled than I am.)

When I clean my 115 I use a ladder well padded and do a quarter of the roof at a time using a long handled brush and Turtle Wax shampoo and wax in a washing up bowl carrying the water up the ladder in a bucket for safety.To clean the Hiki roof surround I stand inside on a step ladder and work through the opening with the Hike fully open and use a small hand brush its amazing the amount of muck accumulates under the lip, then hose off well it dry's its self , but I must admit its a pain to do ..

I am lucky enough to have a 6' 2" Grandson who goes up onto the roof via the roof rack ladder with a bucket of shampoo and long handled brush, and scubs the roof for me before it gets bad enough to run black streaks down the sides of the 'van. I do put the corner steadies down or the 'van can be a bit wobbly as the tyres and springs flex.

If you've got a Heki type roof vent you can open that up and clean the roof through it, just be careful not to get water back inside the van, it's amazing how much you can clean with this method and just use a ladder to reach the rest.

Generally though I use standard tall step ladders with towels between them and the 'van to protect it just in case, and just move them along once I can't get to the bits of roof out of arm's reach with the long handled brush, be careful not to over-reach though - its tempting but much better to come down and move them along. If I really, really want though I can reach it from the flat roof if I park it close enough!

HI, since i had an accident i'm not able to climb ladders, so when i had this van, i had paint seal direct do their magic, nearly two years on, the roof virtualy cleans itself when it rains heavy (not that it happens often in Britain) it dose need a rub with a long handled brush for the stubborn stuff, but not a polish.

pretty satisfied so far

Pete

Last weekend whilst at Cambridge (first trip of our camping year) I noticed the state of my van roof, completely green ! yesterday I climbed up the fixed rear ladder with bucket, extendable brush and hose pipe (Not all at the same time I hasten to add). Yes, you have to be careful when roof starts to get wet but a good pair of 'deck' shoes or trainers help. I use ordinary car shampoo (aided by 'Muck Off' for some of the more stubborn areas) and it has come up a real treat.

I get up on top via the rear ladder and ,use a long handled brush , but i use mer super advanced in the water this repels water and dirt and lasts all year , oh and i always wear trainers they tend to be non slip .

libby - 2009-02-27 5:38 PM

Does anyone know of a DISADVANTAGE for not cleaning the roof, apart from the look of it?

You have to pay extra at the peage becasue the sensors cannot tell the difference between grass / tomato plants growing on the roof and a tall luton front :->

rgds

• 1 month later...

Ashamed to say that I cleaned the roof of my van for the first time yesterday (had her for 12 months) and I was petrified plus it took me hours... I'm still not satisfied with the job done. I have no-one to stand by in case the ladders, or me on them, fall. I seem to recall someone posting once that they clean theirs when there is a strong rainfall as it is easier and the rain does the hard work, and I have to admit from now on I will try that. Today I bought one of those children's toy rifles that shoot water fast and far and I am going to fill it with Caravan cleaner when it rains and shoot it over the roof.

It might sound daft, and I might get dragged off by the men in white coats, but there is no way I am going through two hours of vertigo again... it should at least make the job easier and less intense next time I do it properly. Just thought I would share it with you. :$

Guest Tracker

I would NEVER use a pressure washer on ANY part of any van of mine because they can do so much damage to soft materials, sealants, window frames, paintwork etc and there is always the risk of water getting inside the van.

Apart from that you don't need to use high pressure when a bucket of warm water with Flash liquid in it and a sponge will do the job just as well if not better - but it does mean someone on their hands and knees on the van roof - which is not always feasible - and it does mean a bit of elbow grease in the form of hand pressure at times to shift the crud.

High pressure water seems to be a modern substitute for doing the job properly the old fashioned way?

And before anyone jumps down my throat that is not a criticism of anyone who does use a pressure washer!

docted - 2009-02-27 6:21 PM

Brock - 2009-02-26 6:28 PM

Out of habit, I wash and polish the roof every 6 months or so.

Brock what are you a nun or a monk?, and why do you not wear your habit when washing the van roof? :-D :-D :-D

Alas cleaning my roof had to be put on hold this month. I managed to wash the roof with Mer wash but the greenfinches nesting in the fir tree next to the van seemed unimpressed. To avoid explaining to my wife why the greenfinches had fled the nest, I left the roof unpolished. They showed their appreciation by crapping on the top of the windscreen, the hardest place to reach!

Archived