Toilet chemicals

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought some 'green' toilet stuff at Malvern last year.

It's so innocuous that you can even use it as a room-spray. Smells lovely!

However you need to 'feed' the contents of the toilet every couple of days with the liquid in order for it to digest the waste and, as there's only me, it works out very expensive.

Brambles - 2009-03-06 10:59 AM

Personally I don't think the green works very well. Tried it twice and both times gone back to blue because I could not stand the smell off poo masked by the strong perfume.

Edit - twice as in using two bottles of the stuff.

Jon, do you mean the Thetford green or the Elsan green? I switched from Thetfords to Elsan about 2 years ago for the same reasons as you. I find there is virtually no pong at all from the Elsan.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2009-03-06 11:07 AM

Jon, do you mean the Thetford green or the Elsan green? I switched from Thetfords to Elsan about 2 years ago for the same reasons as you. I find there is virtually no pong at all from the Elsan.

Martyn

Same experience for us with Elsan Organic (which is a purple liquid rather than green). Hardly any smell and what there is is an inoffensive fragrance rather than a harsh chemical smell.

But, each to their own :-)

Graham

Ahh ha. Think you may have helped me here.

I tried Thetford Green. Recently tried Elsan Blue as all I could get to replace the thetford green. I am really pleased with the Elsan Blue, so shall try the Elsan Green or purple if that is the colour next time as you are saying it is much better.

I believe you need green chemi in some parts of europe, hence why I got the Thetford Green.

What is the consensus on those SOG things?

I'd like to do my bit for the earth, so if anyone can shed any light, it could be a better choice than any chemical.

I do wonder though. I look up into the sky and try to work out the volume of the atmosphere, and I think about all those oceans and try to work out just how much water there is. I remember the inner city industrial wastelands of my childhood with the glorious plants and wild berrys that grew there.

I changed by fabulous RV with it's eye-watering fuel consumption, and bought an fuel efficient Mercedes diesel, I sold my beautiful 4 litre V8 Jag and bought a miserable little Audi A6 diesel, my wife sold her sexy little Alfa coupe and bought a Toyota Aygo. WE changed most of the lightbulbs at home and put in those low energy ones that take forever to provide light, we added 9inches of insulation to the loft, fitted thermostats on the radiaters, reset the washing machine to 30degrees, and so on. We have reduced our consumption of carbon based fuel by almost a half, we have a compost heap that is 3 feet high by 12 feet by 12 feet. How much can we do? Have we done enough to make any difference? I have my doubts.

I like my Thetford Blue, it works for me, is there really anything to be gained by changing.

\I'm not bothered about the money, I'm saving over £150 per week on diesel alone, there has to be a better reason if I am to change.

AGD

josie gibblebucket - 2009-03-06 12:26 PM

Now I'm really confused! Is organic the same as biological? The box of Thetford toilet pearls are biological I think, but I also have a bottle of Fenwicks top and tail, which is organic. Another thorough rinsing of tank will probably be required between using these two then........ *-)

Looking at the Elsan & Thetford web sites it appears that the Elsan Double Blue, Green and Rinse are equivalent to the Thetford Aqua Kem Blue, Green and Pink. Thetford say the Green and the "Natural" pearls are biological.

Elsan Organic is a liquid which works biologically and can be used in both cassette and flush tank (rather than needing the separate Pink/Rinse for the flush tank).

I've never used Fenwicks top & tail but the web site says that it, too, can be used in both tanks. Also says that it doesn't contain formaldehyde so "can be disposed of down the normal sewerage system, instead of a dedicated deposit" but doesn't say anything about organic.

Still confused? Not surprised if you are :-D

As Martyn says - yer pays yer money and takes yer choice :-D

Graham

I have tried all sorts of so called 'green' toilet gunge and they never seem to work like the real thing viz. Elsan blue. A good dose of that and you can smell your nose hairs singeing and all the other stuff never gets a look in.

Archiesgrandad - 2009-03-06 1:41 PM

What is the consensus on those SOG things?

AGD

From my point of view never park downwind of a van using one, they are awful. Give me any of the Blue's anyday the Green's have never worked for us (we have tried they just aren't up to the job well not ours anyway. LoL!).

Bas

We got a bottle of Thetford blue free with our MH, when we bought it three years ago. Only used it twice, the smell was awful.

We picked up a tip on one of the forums and have used it ever since.

We put two Thetford cassette caps of the Lidl/Aldi, bleach, detergent combo branded W5/Lel and two scoops of their own brand Vanish powder.

It works a treat and the cassette stays spotless and at only 59c for a 2l bottle of the liquid and 1.59€ for a tub of the 'Oxy' powder it's £££ cheaper than the Thetford liquids.

We switched over to elsan organic and it does a great job for us...it really masks the smell and it can be put down the public loos if we ever go wild camping.

Again some campsites in scotland only have a septic tank and cannot take the blue chemicals because of formaldehyde. The new CC&C site in Skye you can only use green fluids.

You pay your money but for all the benifts surely a couple of ps (no pun intended) is not much to ask?

Guest JudgeMental

SOG for 2 years on new van and its brilliant........Even in extremely hot weather, no smells inside or outside and no nasty chemicals to worry about. Would not be without one best £80 spent on van.

Can only think that Basil was experiencing someone’s smelly waste tank.

Champstar - 2009-03-06 5:26 PM

We switched over to elsan organic and it does a great job for us...it really masks the smell and it can be put down the public loos if we ever go wild camping.

Again some campsites in scotland only have a septic tank and cannot take the blue chemicals because of formaldehyde. The new CC&C site in Skye you can only use green fluids.

You pay your money but for all the benifts surely a couple of ps (no pun intended) is not much to ask?

BTW not all the blue chemicals contain Formaldehyde. In particular Thetford AquaKem hasn't for several years now! not sure about the Elsan blue but some of the cheaper ones still do.

We also tried the new Elsan Organic (purple) and found it worked well. Biomagic seemed expensive as it needed topping up each day

Steve

Archiesgrandad

There is a s***-load of earlier SOG-related stuff on the forum, but this thread may well suffice regarding your inquiry

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11152&posts=14

If not, use the forum's SEARCH facility with keywords=SOG, Filter by author=Derek Uzzell, Date limit=All posts and you should retrieve most of the remaining comments.

Current price of a SOG 'kit' approaches £100.

Hi all,

We have used Kem Direct granules for several years, both when we had Folding Campers and now in the M/H.

They are easy to use, come in sachets which are light and simple to store and most importantly of all stop the loo from smelling without a strong perfume smell. They also claim they are Eco friendly so there should be no problems where you empty the cassette.

We first found them at the NEC and have bought further supplies there as well from Trail-A-Mate who also do mail order.

Does anybody else use Kem Direct granules?

Keith.

Archived