Best Sat Nav for Non-UK driving?

Jackal

Prefer the wife navigating but she-who-must-be-obeyed fancies one.

Have the choice of Mio, Michelin or Blaupunkt BUT it must be able to handle going off the beaten track in Europe.

What sort of features would be considered useful?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Our TomTom Go 730 works really well in Spain and France when even when poking about down wee roads it always knew where it was.

You still need to use common sense when exploring though!

Another benefit is that the poor navigator gets to see ALL the scenery because he/she has not got his/her head buried in an atlas for hours on end trying to keep up with the whims of the driver!

We don't bother with any features - just knowing where we are is enough to keep us happy - and life is complicated enough as it is!

Be carefull with Blaupunct, if you buy in the UK then the pre programmed maps only cover northern europe. The one that was supplied with my Bolero did not cover Spain as I found out the hard way, ok in France but no maps for Spain. Rang Blaupunct an they told me buy in uk and you do not get Southern europe, if you buy in southern europe then you do not get northern europe. You can get the other maps and load them onto an SD card, but Tom Tom and Garmin have the lot.

we have 3 systems. a built in Alpine DVD in the MH. a handheld Garmin Quest which is used for walking & cycling because it has 20hrs battery use. a Tom Tom XL UK which is the wife's. I am allowed to use the Tom Tom if i have been very good.

the mapping on the Alpine system needs updating. a new DVD costs more than a new Tom Tom XL Europe. i will have a chat with Vanbitz who fitted the Alpine to see if there are any reasons, other than mapping, to update the DVD.

i expect i will just buy a Tom Tom XL Europe as i find the UK version easy to use.

smifee, although I have raised the issue in an alternate thread I notice that you have an Alpine fitted by Van Bitz. I too purchased an Alpine Blackbird complete with mobile media station from Van Bitz who also installed it. I am having loads of problems with the Unit and have recently been in touch with Alpine, who I must say responded to my Email in less than 24 hours and who are now trying to assist me. My Unit is not a DVD type and mapping updates are downloaded from the Alpine website. However, they have not had any updates in the year I have had the system and the pre-installed mapping data is so out of date its untrue. I also have a Garmin Quest (now discontinued) but still they provide software updates and annual mapping updates. I found the Garmin very good in both UK and Europe the only disadvantage is the screen is very small and in the Motorhome is hard to see properly. If Alpine cannot rsolve the problem I will revert to my Garmin whilst I look aound for a newer system with a bigger screen size.

i have been using vanbitz for more years than i care to remember. the few problems i have had have been fixed immediately often by telling me how to use the equipment properly :$

the difference in screen size from the Quest to the XL doesn't seem much on paper but in use it seems twice the size. the price is coming down all the time as well. i've seen it for under £150 in a couple of adverts.

Jackal - 2009-03-16 6:45 PM Prefer the wife navigating but she-who-must-be-obeyed fancies one.

Have the choice of Mio, Michelin or Blaupunkt BUT it must be able to handle going off the beaten track in Europe.

What sort of features would be considered useful?

Based on my somewhat limited experience, I think the first consideration is the underlying mapping, where Tele Atlas seems to have the edge over Navteq.  Tele Atlas is now owned by TomTom, whereas Navteq is owned by Nokia.  Garmin use Navteq, TomTom (somewhat inevitably) Tele Atlas. 

Each has its adherents, and it seems that where one is better in one respect, the other merely counters with strengths in different areas.  It is, therefore, very difficult to say with certainty whether one, or the other, is better overall.  They will both send you down ludicrous roads from time to time, so blind obeisance is not wise! 

It is virtually impossible to trial sat nav "in anger", so it is almost a question of tossing a coin, which looks prettiest, and price.

However, there are differing sets of maps available, depending on which model is bought, and there seem to be differing entitlements to map updates, and differing prices for same.

I think I would stick to either of these makes in preference to those you have mentioned, and try to make sure that what you buy is recent stock, so the maps start off up to date-ish (they tend to lag some way behind paper maps, especially on minor roads, so starting with fresh is desirable).

I would not much favour those that broadcast their instructions on VHF to your car radio, it is good while it lasts but, on an average days drive, you will almost invariably come across a local station on the same wavelength - usually just as the need for instructions gets critical!  (I wouldn't reject one on that ground, but I think it is a bit of a hit and miss gimmick, rather than a reliable benefit.)

I think you may find the mapping east of Germany is better (more complete on minor roads) on Tele Atlas than Navteq.

Hi,

I'm currently using CoPilot as a sat nav. While I find it good as a Sat Nav it has one huge failing which is common to Garmin too. The Navtech system; for that is what I believe it to be will not recognise place names in France which begin with St. or Saint or any combination of this. What I get when inputting saint names is a very short list of places to choose from and I'm then forced to use other ways of inputting the destination; not too difficult but never the less annoying. When I tried the Tom Tom in Halfords the system had no problem recognising St. Maure, St. Remy etc. Using post codes in France is not too good either as they cover a much bigger area than in the U.K. I'll buy Tom Tom when they update their maps to show the current N road number changes, it doesn't seem to have happened yet. I wonder how a French purchaser gets on with the out of date maps? Admittedly you will still get to your destination but it's disconcerting to come to a junction and to be told to take a road number that no longer exists and the road signs are showing something other than that on your sat nav screen.

Bill Ord

Brian Kirby - 2009-03-17 12:17 AM

I think I would stick to either of these makes in preference to those you have mentioned, and try to make sure that what you buy is recent stock, so the maps start off up to date-ish (they tend to lag some way behind paper maps, especially on minor roads, so starting with fresh is desirable).

I would agree with most of what Brian has said particularly with regard to sticking with the two 'big' names, in particular I would not buy another Navman, however the above quoted paragraph doesn't apply to Tom Tom as you are guaranteed the latest map available up to 30 days after purchase. You then have the ability to update (daily if you desire) after that with others reported map changes free from any charge, plus you can of course join the map update facility that allows you to have the latest maps for around £9 per quarter.

Bas

Basil - 2009-03-17 1:27 PM
Brian Kirby - 2009-03-17 12:17 AM I think I would stick to either of these makes in preference to those you have mentioned, and try to make sure that what you buy is recent stock, so the maps start off up to date-ish (they tend to lag some way behind paper maps, especially on minor roads, so starting with fresh is desirable).
I would agree with most of what Brian has said particularly with regard to sticking with the two 'big' names, in particular I would not buy another Navman, however the above quoted paragraph doesn't apply to Tom Tom as you are guaranteed the latest map available up to 30 days after purchase. You then have the ability to update (daily if you desire) after that with others reported map changes free from any charge, plus you can of course join the map update facility that allows you to have the latest maps for around £9 per quarter. Bas

Basil

Ary you sure that applies to all versions of the TomTom, as I had understood that it was only certain (more expensive) models that had this facility?

Bill Ord - 2009-03-17 4:45 AM

The Navtech system; for that is what I believe it to be will not recognise place names in France which begin with St. or Saint or any combination of this. What I get when inputting saint names is a very short list of places to choose from and I'm then forced to use other ways of inputting the destination; not too difficult but never the less annoying. When I tried the Tom Tom in Halfords the system had no problem recognising St. Maure, St. Remy etc. Bill Ord

I tried out the Saint entering & also posted to the gpspassion Nuvi forums.

A friendly Belgian replied tout suite; I take the liberty of quoting his response, which works on my Nuvi 770 (basically I guess the answer is to spell the name the way the French spell it, with a dash if that's in the name):

"try "Saint-" or "St-"

it's Saint-Rémy as far as i know, so my guess is that "Saint-R" or "Saint-Re" will work (and "Saint-" ofcourse)"

Re. map updates, my Garmins give you (at no charge) any map updates that are released within a certain period after purchase (IIRC 60 days). After that you can purchase updates -either per update or a lifetime subscription fee, depending on the unit.

Every time I've bought a Garmin (I've had 5), I have received the first update to the latest map set for free.

We have a TomTom One XL Europe which we bought here in France and have had no problems at all.

As far as the St/Saint debate goes, you have to remember if the saint's name is male or female. We try all three st/saint/sainte and usually find the right one.

Road numbers have not really changed much just gone from N to D and with an extra digit at the front so it is very easy to recognise which it should be. But with all SatNavs you have to use a modicum of commonsense and utilise the map book as well. When we first came to France we always went by the road numbers on the maps until we realised that it is better to go off the place names, especially on the N roads. Follow the sign for the N road you want and until the junction near to the town comes up then you will choose again, you won't actually go into that town unless you want to. We have followed this rule for the last 15 years and usually (not always) get to where we want to go.

Don't expect the SatNav to be the be all and end all of your journey planning.

Brian Kirby - 2009-03-17 2:16 PM

Ary you sure that applies to all versions of the TomTom, as I had understood that it was only certain (more expensive) models that had this facility?

Hi Brian, as far as I understood it yes. As you may be aware ours is a GO720 so that is really the only one that I have personal experience with (appart from a friends GO940) both of those have everything as posted, but with the GO940 having further enhancements (bells and whistles).

However as I don't have first hand experience of the ONE or the XL I have just looked at the Tom Tom site at the ONE and the XL and under More Information/ Maps it says that they come with the latest maps, that it is future proof and has the ability to use mapshare, therefore that is the same as I understand for the GO series, so I am now only unsure about TomTom's 30 day 'Latest Map Guarantee' as there does not appear to be any information about this for any of them that I can find. Also it appears that the ONE and XL map update facility appears slightly less expensive at £7.95/ quarter, this is for quarterly updates NOT the free from charge Mapshare service.

Bas

I must say that wasn't quite how I read the TomTom website, Basil.  What I understood was that Mapshare has limited functionality, allowing you to transmit a reversed traffic flow, or a closed street, for example, but not to add a newly constructed road that has not yet been mapped.  For new roads, you need map updates.

Map updates (up to 4 per year, but with no commitment to release that many - and with the exception of the GO530/730), seem to have to be bought on subscription for, as they say, "the equivalent of £7.95 per quarter".  The GO530 (UK maps) and 730 (European maps) come with 2 years updates included in their price, whereafter, I guess, you just buy the updates as above.

That was the reason I asked, since what it says in the box is likely to be more binding than what it says on the website.

I have taken on board what you have said about Garmin & TOM TOM and will bow to superior experience on such matters. However, can I throw in this little gem - I have seen a system advertised as 'Truck master' which allows you to input Vehicle weight and essential dimensions which it claims will prevent you from going down roads that are not suitable or with low bridges. have you any views on this system, which whilst I appreciate was initially for the truckies does seem to have some advantages for the larger Motor Homes and RV's.

We've had Co-Pilot (on a Mio 168 PDA) and it had some features that were good, where it let us down badly was when the PDA crashed and lost all the 'permissions'. The only way to re-activate it was to make phone calls to the UK for activation codes etc, not good when you are touring in France!

We then moved on to Tom Tom and found it very good, we did dally with a promo version of Igo - very good software and easy to use but not supported very well (POIs etc), so we went back to Tom Tom on the PDA. We have only recently changed to a dedicated Tom Tom Go 520 with full European mapping and traffic - we got ours, brand new & boxed - still SEALED - off eBay and cost £113 including postage.

What is really, really weird is that it has the capability for 'hands free' use for your mobile phone - when TT is on, so long as your mobile phone has bluetooth enabled you can answer and make calls via the Tom Tom ... confused the heck out of me the first time it happened!!!!! :D

Big Momma - 2009-03-17 7:19 PM I have taken on board what you have said about Garmin & TOM TOM and will bow to superior experience on such matters. However, can I throw in this little gem - I have seen a system advertised as 'Truck master' which allows you to input Vehicle weight and essential dimensions which it claims will prevent you from going down roads that are not suitable or with low bridges. have you any views on this system, which whilst I appreciate was initially for the truckies does seem to have some advantages for the larger Motor Homes and RV's.

I think the warning has to be given that the unit should be carefully evaluated before buying.  I recently tried a different unit promising similar features, but the software was insufficiently developed, with some very strange results, so it went back for a refund.  The mapping was Tele Atlas, which seemed very good, and was not at fault. 

The main practical limitation for such units seems to be that, apart from UK, France, Germany, and one other I can't remember, the road width and height restriction etc data is not mapped, so outside these countries it will perform no differently to any other model.  Even in the "mapped" countries the coverage does not extend to all roads, so is performance liable to be hit and miss (excuse pun!).

TomTom has a system for setting vehicle length, width, height, weight, axle loads, and I believe even hazardous loads (toilet cassette? :-)).  However it is only available, at present, via their commercial outlets for transport companies and suffers the limitation as above.  The additional data and software is at present carried on a £100 SD card, that merely plugs in to a standard TomTom unit, but they won't sell the SD cards to the public.  Maybe it is under evaluation with the transport companies, and not yet considered ready for the great unwashed.

I'm sure it will come, but I don't think we are there yet.

Archived