Best Sat Nav for Non-UK driving?

Jackal

The Tom Tom Go series definately does, not sure about the other models or the other makes, the computer voice states the name (or number if the road is unnamed) of the road you are on the direction (next large town) you are travelling in and the road you need to take at the junction.

All these are switchable options if you do not wish them to be on.

Bas

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Basil,

Although I hadn't made a point of searching I was under the impression this was a feature that was unique to the 360; I know that was the only one when I bought it two years ago. I use Navigator on my PC and wish I could combine features of the two systems, this would give me my ideal, so much so that I have just bought a tablet PC to use in the MoHo alongside the Garmin. First trial run this week so I'm hoping it will all work as I think it will.

Regards,

Ian03/54 - 2009-03-23 3:59 PM

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is an up-to-date machine which has the feature that sold me on my old Garmin 360; that is of "speaking" the road names not just the number. Regards

Any Garmin with "TTS" - "text to speech" both my 770 & my 755 (& a past 760 as well) had this feature.

Whilst browsing another forum I saw a reference to a Sat nav system that is dedicated to Caravanners and Motor Caravanners www.shop.snooperdirect.com/product1220186.html

Any members got any experience or knowledge of this system. It sounds as if it meeds all the requirements (!)

The system to which you are referring is the Snooper 'Ventura', which comes pre-loaded with the ACSI European campsite database. The unit allows you to enter the precise dimensions of your vehicle, it's weight, and also any towing details.

Ventura also allows you full access (subject to small subscription) to Snooper's Aura database, which is the most comprehensive safety camera and 'high-risk-zone' database available.

We stock the unit in our two shops, and can also be found at all of the major Motorhome, Caravan & Leisure shows where we often have staff from Snooper themselves on hand to help promote and demonstrate the product.

The Ventura is only available in one format at present - Full UK & EU mapping, with built in 'TMC' which is the 'Traffic Messaging Channel' designed to help you avoid delays and jams.

There are similar units which either exclude the TMC, or provide UK only mapping but these do not contain the ACSI database. These alternatives are branded 'Truckmate' (the unit was originally designed with goods vehicles in mind) but contain all of the other features as described above.

Finally, Snooper are about to unveil Ventua is a 'single-DIN' fold out touch screen headunit format - which will give you added features such as DVD playback and iPod integration.

Let me know if this is of use to you - and if you would like me to provide you with any further information regarding this exciting product.

Rob,

I am interested and apart from the very comprehensive explanation there are two questions that I have:

1. Can it be programmed with GPS Co-ordinates ?

2. Is it possible to wire it up so that I could use it through an existing fitted mobile media unit ?

Thank you very much for the information.

Good morning all,

Apologies for not posting specific pricing on the unit on the O&AL forum - I need to be very careful when writing posts as Warners do draw a very fine line between providing helpful advice and simply using the forum for shameless, free advertising.

I'll answer the questions in order...

(1) Mapping. Indeed it is Navteq mapping on all Snooper nav systems.

(2) Countries. If you following this link: http://www.snooperuk.com/products/snooper_ventura/index.html you will find a very helpful map which details which countries are covered by traditional mapping, and which use the Ventura large vehicle maps.

(3) Cost. The cost of the unit is £449. At all of the motorhome and leisure shows which we have attended, we have promoted the unit at £399. The new Ventura 'headunit' is available at £599. If however you do not need either the TMC traffic updates, the EU maps, or the ACSI database, there are a number of cheaper 'Truckmate' models which will still guide motorhomes perfectly well.

(4) Updates. Mapping updates are released as and when new data becomes available. At the moment, all new Ventura's are sold with free mapping updates until the end of 2009. As a rule, a full European map update will cost around £80.

(5) Co-ordinate entry. The Ventura does not support direct entry of map co-ordinates. It does hoever allow you to navigate simply by selecting a point on a map - at which point the unit display's the selected location's co-ordinates.

(6) Existing unit integration. The Ventura does not offer full integration into an existing media unit, nor is the software available alone. The Ventura does however have an audio-output and microphone-input - so if your exisiting headunit supported aux-in, a degree of integration would be possible.

I hope that this has been of help.

Regards,

Archived