Gas barbeque

spinningk

Our motorhome does not have an oven nor a grill, but we do have a gas connection for a barbeque. We have been studying various makes but there is no substitute for other people's experience. Is anyone willing to recommend a barbeque we could buy, giving the reasons why please?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.

We purchased a Cadaq safari Chef earlier this year. We tried it out ov er the last couple of weeks and found it very good, its fine if there is only 2 or 3 of you as it is smaller than the normal Cadaq BBs. We used the griddle,frying plate and the wok all worked great.

We have several friends with the bigger versions of Cadaq and they all love them, but they are heavier. You could connect the Cadaq to a Gas point.

David

Guest JudgeMental

we have had this portable "broil king, porta chef" model for years and its the best we have ever used. it has a serrated plate and no coals ....So even cooking and relatively clean with barbeque taste as juices hit the plate and bounce back up like a proper barbeque :-D

Some of these other ones are no more than outside frying pans, and not barbeques at all IMO

http://www.campervanaccessories.co.uk/portachef-portable-broil-king-p-351.html

We bought a Cobb BBQ/Oven about 3 years ago. It is not only a BBQ it can be used as an oven, roasted a full chicken on it with no problems but have not tried to casserole with it yet. You can buy a Wok/Frying pan to fit. The recipe book is very good and there are lots of hints and tips on the internet. The Hairy Bikers use a couple of them on their roadtrips and have cooked bread, pies and cakes and various other things. They seem to like them. Also they tried one out on The Gadget Show a couple of weeks ago and it came out very well with them saying that you could cook a full meal on it, which they did. We also have a small portable gas BBQ as well which does what it says on the tin, so to speak.

We have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Portable-Camping-Barbecue-Deluxe/dp/B001713JRC

We've had it for many years and it is great. I keeps things warm whilst you cook other bits - if you put the lid down it cooks quicker and keeps the food moist too. We did try a Beauclaire which is virtually the same as the Cadac but not as pricey but as has been said, it's more like a frying pan, or solid griddle, than a BBQ. We also found it a pain in windy weather whereas with the one we now use it doesn't make any difference at all.

Hi Kath and welcome to the forum,

We have got a Beauclaire and connect it to our BBQ point with 2 metres of hose. We find it great to do the bacon and eggs on in a morning and it cooks everything else we have thrown at it without fault.

We got the lightweight version which has a cast aluminium griddle to save 5 kg in weight. They may not be the cheapest but certainly are very good.

Enjoy your cooking whatever you get,

Keith.

This reply is off tread, my question is around the way some people with external BBQ points attach an external gas cylinder to the BBQ point and use this connection as a way to get gas back into the vehicle. A typical example is using say a large Spanish gas bottle outside the van for use on those long extended trips away. How does this work?

Sorry Tony but I don't understand your posting. This is your first post on this thread so how can my reply be off thread to your original question?

I think you may be getting confused to an earlier post on the subject of connecting gas cylinders to an external BBQ point.

I feel my reply to Kath's original question is very appropriate.

Keith.

Keithl - 2009-04-26 11:11 AM

Sorry Tony but I don't understand your posting. This is your first post on this thread so how can my reply be off thread to your original question?

I think you may be getting confused to an earlier post on the subject of connecting gas cylinders to an external BBQ point.

I feel my reply to Kath's original question is very appropriate.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

I think that Starvin Marvin was saying that his reply was off thread, not yours.

Thanks for clarifying that Randonneur.

Tony, Sorry for my reply. I took your question as a reply to my post. It may have been better to have raised your question as a new post then there would have been no room for misreading it.

As an answer to your question the C&CC ban the connection of external gas cylinders to a BBQ point on the grounds of safety. They only allow loose cylinders to be used to connect to equipment designed for such.

If foreign sites allow the practice then I would steer clear of them as I feel the risk of an accident is too high.

Keith.

Keithl - 2009-04-26 11:56 AM

Thanks for clarifying that Randonneur.

Tony, Sorry for my reply. I took your question as a reply to my post. It may have been better to have raised your question as a new post then there would have been no room for misreading it.

As an answer to your question the C&CC ban the connection of external gas cylinders to a BBQ point on the grounds of safety. They only allow loose cylinders to be used to connect to equipment designed for such.

If foreign sites allow the practice then I would steer clear of them as I feel the risk of an accident is too high.

Keith.

Keith, don't worry about that, I'm never surprised by how things can be misread.

I ain't a member of CC&C so not worried what they think. What I'm interested in is how it works. Loads of people on long stays in Spain use this practice both on sites and free camping.

Hi Marvin how it works is simple the bbq point is the otherside of the regulator from the main tank, so you close off the motorhome tank and then pressurise the system from the outside gas bottle fitted with a regulator I cannot see what the problem is as it is still a sealed system!!

Regards Pat

Marvin, Pat has it right. This was a method that was recomended to us in Morocco if we had run out of gas and wanted to hang onto to the BP gaslite cylinders in the gas locker.

Not much use to us though, we don't have an external gas connection! (lol)

We used a Cadac BBQ with a Camping Gas cylinder. It does take up space and is heavyish so we tend to use "disposables" as well.

The problem nay DANGER of putting gas into your van system via the external barbi point is that if the connection at the barbi outlet point should come un coupled you have a live feed of gas from the bottle blowing all over as it will not shut off automatically,or if something perforates the rubber hose between bottle and barbi connection the same will happen. *-) *-)

spinningk - 2009-04-25 2:50 PM

Our motorhome does not have an oven nor a grill, but we do have a gas connection for a barbeque. We have been studying various makes but there is no substitute for other people's experience. Is anyone willing to recommend a barbeque we could buy, giving the reasons why please?

Thanks.

Like Randonneur we settled upon the Cobb BBQ which can be used both as a barbie and oven - making it a much more versatile piece of equipment.

Although it uses charcoal briquettes (not lpg) it is designed in such a way that it takes only 4 - 6 briquettes to cook a full meal. One distinct advantage we found is that it remains cool on the outside and can be placed on a table to cook or even brought indoors (once the charcoal has stopped burning with a flame) if necessary.

We used it most days at the Peterborough show last weekend to save on gas and (besides the traditional BBQ) cooked a variety of meals including pasta bolognese with garlic bread and baked apples stuffed with rum soaked raisins!

You can read more about it here:

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/

Regards, David

Archived