AUTOTRAIL Chieftain G SE

carebear

Any advise on these vans just purchased an 05 at Peterborough.

Same 2.8 engine as our Kontiki, was wondering how the hills would go on power, was suggested to have it Chipped ???????.

Any advise good or bad oops hope not, is welcome on this particular van.

The 2.8 engine doesn't need chipping it's a cracking engine with plenty of guts. Some owners have the fifth gear upgraded to lower the revs for economy when cruising but it means having to change down sooner when going up hill. The Auto-trail is a good choice having sound build quality and good dealer and spares back up.

I keep being asked , have i had my engine chipped on my chieftain [ its the same engine as yours ] i always give em the same answer , no need to ive not had any problems so far , it does everything i want it to and more , but if you want to race around beat people uphill then fare enough get it done , but remember it might hinder your warranty if you do. :-|

woody. - 2009-04-26 8:31 PM

I keep being asked , have i had my engine chipped on my chieftain [ its the same engine as yours ] i always give em the same answer , no need to ive not had any problems so far , it does everything i want it to and more , but if you want to race around beat people uphill then fare enough get it done , but remember it might hinder your warranty if you do. :-|

It's not about racing round and beating people. The 2.8 engine is good, but having it chipped makes it great.

The only reason to have the engine chipped is to increase the torque, which will reduce the number of gear changes up and down the box on hills. There is a slight increase in acceleration, which is a bonus. It could be argued you are quicker through the box to your "end" speed, therefore getting to a more economical speed quicker.

My old van was chipped, the torque increase was amazing, it was faster, it did not use any more fuel and was easier to drive.

Thanks for your replies.

Two owners of these vans we spoke to at Peterborough, ( we went trawling the fields looking for these vans ) both had their vans chipped, so we thought we would ask here.

Dont pick up the van till mid May so maybe we will see how it performs on our 3 hour drive back home.

Wish i had got hold of the previous owners details to ask few questions, wonder if the dealer will part with them.

carebear - 2009-04-28 7:25 PM

Wish i had got hold of the previous owners details to ask few questions, wonder if the dealer will part with them.

Carebear,

The previous owners details will be on the log book (V5) so no need to ask dealer.

Keith.

Thanks Keith.

Not getting van for another 3 weeks so thinking i could have got in touch with the owner to check up any faults, so i could make sure they are put right before we leave, its a long trek for us to have to return to the dealer.

Not everything is known or mentioned with these dealers till you find out at a later date, had experience of this before.

Cant stick hassle

Why not just ring the dealer up and ask them? It is information that you will get anyway so if they are a decent dealer with nothing to hide why wouldn't they give it you? Worth a try. I've done it before when buying a car with no problems.

By the way I've got an earlier Chieftain 2.8 TD and I'm very pleased with it.

Regards

Stew

Thanks again.

Big concern is the on board Generator slung under van, this we are told was factory fitted, and the controls for this are on the kitchen wall area it had Dometic sign on it ??????????????.

The van also has Air Con, never had experience of both these before.

Keen to find out

Archived