Dover Calais Ferries and Towing a-frame

w1ntersun

Hi,

Just tryng to get prices for a trip later this year.

Why is the price for a motorhome towing a car nearly twice the price for taking them separately. All three carriers and the tunnel do the same thing.

Eg combo = £250

car £49

m/h£90

Has any one tried to book them separately but turned up connected and given the checking desk two bookings. If they said I had to de-couple. Would they let the car follow the m/h on to the ferry as I would lose my wife on the other side if we we separated.

Richard

Guest JudgeMental

Its a no brainer really, just pay single/cheaper prices and turn up towing it and have a go.....worse case scenario is, your wife will have to drive the car , would not be concerned regards missing each other the other side its pretty unlikely IMO

Freight traffic is well down so ferries travelling much less crowded then usual, so you may be lucky and get near to each other but it is unlikely as they tend to split smaller vehicles on different levels. I would give it a go and pay cheaper price.....

We purchased 10 x single tickets through the frequent traveller scheme for the tunnel last year at £39 each for any car - "Campervans / MHs" are an extra £9 each way, size irrelevant. Travel is "off peak" but the times suit us perfectly as we both still work.

This has worked well for us as we live in Southampton - the tunnel at Folkestone takes 2.25 hours from home... When we tow our Smart car, using the A Frame and Brake Buddy (usually for our main Italy trip), we use one of the pre-purchased tickets, plus £9 for the MH plus £39 for the "trailer" (Smart & A Frame). This means we are able to travel with the combined rig for £87 each way. It also leaves plenty of other shorter trips for the rest of the 12 months validity (5 more return trips).

After the fire and with work commitments we couldn't use all the tickets within 12 months but Eurotunnel extended them by 6 weeks. This meant we were able to decide last Wednesday we wanted a break in LeTouquet, Northern France (about 1 hour from Calais) - booked, travelled on Friday late evening and back Sunday lunchtime - perfect. B-) Today we decided the bulb fields in the Netherlands sounds good so after breakfast booked this Friday evening to come back Monday. ;-) A trip I have wanted to do since childhood!

Other advantages to use the tunnel (for us): no risk of grounding with our alko chassis, being able to book as and when and if you turn up early, by up to 2 hours, they will usually offer you an earlier trip at no extra charge - unlike our experiences on the ferries. *-) We have a flask of hot water ready to make a cup of coffee as soon as we are secure on the train and can put our feet up in our 'van without having to leave the vehicle on the car deck!

We recommend the tunnel every time. :-)

• 1 month later...

W1ntersun -

But wouldn't the motorhome towing an empty A-frame cost more than a motorhome without one ?

Also wouldn't there be a problem with the two vehicle registration plates when only one was booked ?

:-|

Hi Malc,

You dont tow an empty A frame, you fold it up and put it in the boot of the car so no extra length is involved.

You may be thinking of a towing 'dolly' with wheels which are now only legal for recovery.

Keith.

Keithl - 2009-06-08 12:12 PM

Hi Malc,

You dont tow an empty A frame, you fold it up and put it in the boot of the car so no extra length is involved.

You may be thinking of a towing 'dolly' with wheels which are now only legal for recovery.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, I learn something every day on this forum !

I've never towed other than a small trailer so I was not even aware of 'dollies'

malc

;-)

Archived