Electrics

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

Is this a new fault or one that you have only just noticed?

The reason I ask is that the marker lights are normally wired as groups so if one lamp comes on I would expect at least one other to also come on.

Normally there would be no direct connection between the outside driving lights and the ZIG which looks after the internal systems.

Are you sure its Zig and not a Sargent system?

C.

Clive,

When I said zig unit, its a small switch panel the size of a plug socket, it has a master switch, and four red switches lights, aux 1, aux 2, pump, and has zig in the top right had corner.

We was at the Peterborough Show, on returning from a night show, one rear marker light was on, first I tried switching on and off side lights, on switching on other three came on, one that was on whent out, and visa versa, so I took the bulb out, .

Following night the two front marker lights were on very dim, so I disconected the engine battery, lights still on.

Then I found by switching off the interior switch, the lights whent out.

So power from the leisure side, is somehow powering the marker lights.

Dave.

From my experience with cars and lights doing funny things I would guess you have a faulty earth somewhere.

You normally see this kind of fault on car rear lights when the brake lights flash with the indicators!

Try checking the earths of the side markers and interior lights.

Keith.

If nothing in the van is turned ON other than the master switch on the Zig unit do the marker lights still glow? If the answer is NO then a bad earth could be the reason. If however the answer is YES then it points to something more positive!

C.

Hi Rusty, I'm pretty sure you spoke to me at Peterborough about this. Have you consulted an auto electrician yet? This is such a strange fault that unless you really know your way around the van's electrical systems you're going to take forever to find it. My biggest concern is that perhaps rodents have been in making a meal of your wiring and leaving something shorting, this could quite easily cause a fire.

D.

Archived