Autotrail tracker

Bass7375

Hi B

Bass7375 - 2009-05-04 6:40 PM

Hi! Considering a 2004 model. Any views or experiences of Autotrail and/or this model would be very welcome!

Thank you.

:-D Hi Bass7375, your not being ignored, someone with knowledge of that or a similar model will answer you, may even be Tracker himself, just hang loose, Corky :-D

Guest Tracker

I had one until last year.

It was a 2006 2.3jtd EKS SE and served us well by taking us 8000 miles all round Scandinavia last year - amongst other trips.

The well proven layout worked very well and it drove well doing about 28 ish mpg overall and it was totally reliable both Fiat and Autotrail.

So why did we sell it?

Very harsh ride, rather cramped washroom - try sitting on the loo (pretending) before you buy - many rattles and squeaks from the conversion - give it a good test drive on rough roads - and not a lot else - we just fancied a change of layout and a quieter ride!

We now have an Autocruise Starlet which on balance we do prefer as it is very different to the Tracker and with the Alko chassis our trip to Morocco was so much smoother.

Nevertheless in my view the Tracker on the old model Ducato - not the newer ones which are less well made in my view - is a darned fine van that works well.

The latest EKS Tracker is a cracker, it is a very smooth rattle free ride, the build quality is excellent and the power train is magic. Mine is fitted with the 3Ltr engine and the wide track chassis is in a class of its own. Yes you will always come across the knockers for whatever reason. Notice I haven't said anything about the reverse gear situation.

we bought a cheyenne 630lb new last year ( same layout as tracker but longer) and we cannot fault it for a smooth ride.we don't even take too much care when we are loading it now, as we have never experienced any rattle or noise at all.it is supurb.

Hi Bass,

We've got a 2004 Cheyenne on a Merc 313CDi chassis and it's fantastic. Our only annoyance is a squeak from the cooker which I haven't managed to sort yet, I'm always driving and the OH won't go fiddling while I'm driving so status quo.

The build quality and design is superb and we also like the fact that both heating and hot water are gas or electric to save on gas when we're on a hook-up.

I see the Tracker was only offered on a Fiat chassis in 2004, watch the payload as some models only quote around 350kg and that's before fitment of accessories.

You can download the original sales brochures from the AT website in case you haven't found them already.

We're off with the owners club this coming weekend to see around the factory, we both cant wait to see where it was made.

Are any other AT owners going to Market Rasen this weekend, if so we should all try and meet up, any suggestions how we know who is who will be gratefully received.

Anyway Bass, enjoy your Tracker when you get it.

Keith.

We own a 2008 Tracker EKS with SE pack (how anyone can refuse this extra is difficult to understand as it gives great value) on a 3ltr Comfortmatic auto transmission. The only niggle is a creak on rough roads which is coming from above the cab, but it hasn't been in yet for its habitation check, so the dealers may solve this. It is very comfortable and smooth to drive (no problems to report with reversing so far) and we are delighted with it.

Neil B

One of the problems with the early Trackers on the Fiat chassis was that the following items were located behind the back axle. Fresh water tank, waste water tank, battery, gas cylinders, spare wheel.

This presented a problem on the model I had in that although I was well within the Max Gross Weight when loaded I was well over the Rear Axle Allowed Load, and that was before adding the 2 cycles on the back.

It was pointed out to me that I could avoid filling the fresh water tank, but as we use Aires in France and Stellplatz in Germany that was not an option.

So check the things I have mentioned.

We were very happy with the build quality and layout of the Tracker and were sorry we had to change.

I believe Autotrail repositioned some of the items and increased the Max Gross weight on later models but I do not know at what date , and how it effected the back axle load.

We had a 52/2002 reg Tracker EK SE, absolutely excellent, it always creaked & squeaked a bit when we set off but settled down after a few miles. couldn't fault it, only changed to go a bit bigger (Cheyenne), Build quality A1 also.

Mike P

We will be at the Auto-trail open day this weekend but not at the rally,we went last year as well and thoroughly enjoyed it, they usually sell off some old stock items at very low prices. Last year on the rally field numerous owners including myself had problems with the flame of the heater continually blowing out due to the very high wind so many of us fitted the 6" flue extention and cured it. We removed it on leaving. Auto-trail also had roving fitters at the rally to rectify small problems that owners might have but obviously you had to wait your turn.

Archived