calor gas cylinder adaptor

JohnD

I have a fitted gas pressure regulator in the van together with a pigtail to connect it to a 6kg. propane calor cylinder. Is it possible to get an adaptor to connect this pigtail to a 7kg. butane calor cylinder? This could well be cheaper than writing off 7kg. of butane that I happen to have.

Guest Tracker

Have you considered buying another pigtail to fit the butane and, assuming that your gas locker will take two bottles, having the flexibility and security of supply that two gas bottles brings?

Sorry don't know about any adaptors but you could try a Google search by entering something like 'Calor propane butane adaptor' and see what comes up. The Gaslow website could be worth a look too?

JohnD

To the best of my knowledge there is no single adapter marketed in the UK that can do what you want.

The rationale behind the bulkhead-mounted regulator that has been standardised for leisure-vehicles built in this country since 2004 is that its 30mbar pressure-regulation makes it suitable for either propane or butane.

The simplest and cheapest way to connect your regulator to a Calor 7kg (or 15kg) butane LPG cylinder requires that you first obtain a pigtail that can attach to a Calor 4.5kg cylinder. This pigtail has a left-hand threaded female connector at the 'bottle end'. You will then need a 21mm clip-on adapter that screws on to the butane pigtail's female connector. Butane pigtails and 21mm clip-on adapters are widely available and most caravan/motorhome dealerships are likely to stock them.

(There are adapters that aren't actually intended to do what you want (ie. to convert a UK POL propane connection directly to a 21mm clip-on butane connection), but could probably be pressed into service to perform the conversion. But you'd still need to obtain the 21mm clip-on adapter and it's going to be more straightforward to do as Tracker advises and replace your present UK propane pigtail with a UK 'Calor 4.5kg' pigtail than to mess about with unusual adapters to try to convert your propane pigtail into a butane one.)

Hi John,

Is your Butane a clip-on or screw fitting?

If it is a screw fitting then Gaslow do a fitting to do the opposite of what you require, ie it adapts a 21.8 LH Butane fitting to fit a Propane cylinder using a handwheel so you don't need a spanner. That way you only need one hose and add the adaptor when you want to use Butane.

Any use?

Keith.

7kg (and 15kg) Calor butane cylinders use a 21mm clip-on connector, but a pigtail is not marketed with this particular end-connection.

One can obtain a Gaslow adapter (Part No: 01-4330) that converts a pigtail with a UK-standard propane POL end-connection (which is what JohnD currently has) to allow that pigtail to connect to a Gaslow refillable bottle.

Gaslow refillable bottles use the same outlet connection as a Calor 4.5kg butane bottle, so one could add a 21mm clip-on adapter to the Gaslow adapter and this combination would do what JohnD wants. The downside is that the Gaslow adapter carries a 'pressure gauge' (appropriate to propane) and is consequently not cheap.

It MIGHT also be possible to use a French UK(propane)-to-French-standard adapter (+ the 21mm clip-on adapter) but, once again, the complication and cost would outweigh any real benefit.

John D, would it not just be easier to find someone who uses Butane 7 Kg and swap a bottle with them at half price. Works out the same cost to you at the end of the day and then you can swap your newly aquired empty blue for a full red for just teh cost of a refill red. Maybe this is the info you are missing, knowing you can actually swap gas containers within certain groups for other types.

Guest Tracker
Or just get a simple 'T' piece adaptor to fit on the regulator and connect both bottles via two pigtails then when one runs out all you have to do (at the dark, wet and windy moment they usually choose to expire) is just turn the empty one off and the full one on and retire back to the warm - leaving you to replace the empty bottle at your leisure as long as you don't forget and empty both bottles - and you wouldn't be the first to do that!

Hi JohnD- If you are using a rubber hose with a propane end, it might be an idea to get a Gaslow stainless steel hose pigtail instead. One good point is they have a life span of aprox 20yrs as opposed to 4yrs for the rubber hose and also you do not run the risk of your regulator getting cloged with gunge. The steel hose can be bought with the hand tighting propane connection which can be unscrewd off leaving a pigtail end which will fit the standard butane clip on connector.

I have 2x7kg butane and 1x15kg butane calor gas bottles all full from Caravan days as well as 2x6kg Propane bottled for M/H, I took the easy way and went to a local (45miles away) Caravan dealers accessory shop and told them what I wanted to do, IE use up the gas in the Butane bottled in my M/H the guy produced a 21mm clip on adapter and ask me if the regulator in the M/H was already fitted to it and what year my M/H was he then produced a rubber connector with the right thread on each end of the rubber connector, both end of the rubber connector are different one fits the regulator and one the Adapter, some £18 or there abouts change over is as simple as un-clipping the adapter off the m/t bottle and clipping it on the full one.. you may want to look at Gaslows own Brochure its a 5.02mb down load but worth having for future ref, I intend going the gaslow route in the future, http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pdf/GASLOW_2008_All.pdf

JohnD - 2009-06-06 2:55 PM

I have a fitted gas pressure regulator in the van together with a pigtail to connect it to a 6kg. propane calor cylinder. Is it possible to get an adaptor to connect this pigtail to a 7kg. butane calor cylinder? This could well be cheaper than writing off 7kg. of butane that I happen to have.

Read the original post - it implies all he is trying to do is not write off a 7Kg cylinder of gas.

£18 in parts - how much is 7Kg of gas worth!!!!! £18, £19??

Brambles - 2009-06-07 11:45 AM

JohnD - 2009-06-06 2:55 PM

Read the original post - it implies all he is trying to do is not write off a 7Kg cylinder of gas.

£18 in parts - how much is 7Kg of gas worth!!!!! £18, £19??

Brambles,I know hes not trying to write off his 7kg bottle, I dont have to get rid of mine as I have the means to connect it to my regulator, I was just highlighting I had done it with a SAFE purpose made adapter and connector, what Price Safety £18 £19 :-D

Corky, I was not aiming my response at you specifically bit all the posts going on about expensive options, stainmless steel hoses etc.

If you want to have the option of Butane for ever more fine, but one can change the Empty Butane for a Propane at no extra cost for actually changing...just the cost of the gas refill.

Personally I prefer Butane, and never use Propane even in winter and always find a away round the problem of a sub zero bottle.

:-D Hi Brambles, No offence taken and none implied, there is a few ways the originators thread can be read and were all trying to be as helpful as we can,I must admit I dont always think of cost foremost and everybody,s budget is different , there,s such a lot of really helpful people on this Forum no wonder its the Most popular, Safe journey,s :-D

We are shortly (hopefully) getting a Gaslow kit installed (1 large bottle and keeping one small Calor propane bottle). But I just wondered - what do you all do with your surplus cylinders?

We're not allowed to 'sell' them in the local paper's adds, even if we paid for an advert, so I really don't want to just dump them ... any ideas? :-S

Mel B - 2009-06-07 4:28 PM

We are shortly (hopefully) getting a Gaslow kit installed (1 large bottle and keeping one small Calor propane bottle). But I just wondered - what do you all do with your surplus cylinders?

We're not allowed to 'sell' them in the local paper's adds, even if we paid for an advert, so I really don't want to just dump them ... any ideas? :-S

:-D Mel, Legally they still belong to which ever gas company you buy your gas from ,as I understand it you Rent long term the bottle which you can then exchange for the same size paying only for the gas within, and as you well know if you dont have your original paperwork from first purchase there is no way you can claim back your deposit on final return of the bottle, I have seen them for sale on car boots etc as empty bottles but dont know where you would stand legally,I know of a few 25kg bottles being converted into BBQ, mine when empty stay in the shed far away from the house, you think Calor would have an amnesty and allow all never to be used again bottles to be returned and the money given to a Charity of your choice.

I recall a scheme Calor had a few years ago where if bottles were returned they gave money to a charity.

The problem with giving a refund on any bottles returned without proof of original agreement is it make cylinders an easy target for theft. Same if you are allowed to sell them, so Calor and others have stamped that out as well.

Archived