Mark 6 Transit Tyre Valve Problems

HymerVan

We has just completed a very enjoyable 2 month journey round Europe in our Hymer Van 522 an early model based on the Mk 6 (pre square headlamp) Transit. Previous posts have suggested that there may be an issue with the standard valves fitted. One forum "guru" has several very helpful and well researched posts on the issue. For legal reasons I express no view on whether there is or is not any such generic problem however what I can say is that on our journey back to Scotland we suffered a very rapid rear tyre deflation whilst overtaking a truck in the centre lane of the M6, not the best place to be ! Subsequent examination of the tyre confirmed that the valve had failed and that the tyre was not punctured (although it was damaged beyond repair) The cost of this adventure was £150 for a new tyre and supply and fit new metal valves to each tyre. I was warned it could happen and it did ! Given the circumstances we might not have had such a safe outcome. Owners of Mk 6 Transit based vehicles may wish to consider exploring valve replacement for piece of mind.

The point which Campbell McCutcheon makes is a perfectly valid one however it was not an issue in our case. The Tyres were in good condition not out of date and correctly inflated for the axle loads which were well within permitted limits.

Hi HymerVan,

You will find that the problem is that most normal rubber 'car' tyre valves are not designed to withstand 60psi or above and hence fail quite readily.

This fault is not confined to Transits, our Merc blew a rear valve whilst parked on our front drive last summer and I was stood less than 10 feet away. It went completely flat in under 5 seconds! I agree you would not have had any warning if driving at the time.

The manufacturers get away with rubber valves because most vehicles run empty or only lightly loaded and consequently do not inflate their tyres to max pressures.

I still have to get my valves changed for steel ones, I'll keep my fingers crossed next time I'm out!

Keith.

The tyre valves factory-fitted to Mk 6 FWD Transits with 16" wheels (ie. the valves fitted to Laurence's Hymer 'Van' and my 2005 Hobby T-600 FC) are, in fact, high-pressure 'snap-in' type with a design maximum pressure of around 100psi. Mk 7 Transits with 16" wheels also use a HP snap-in valve, but the design is radically different.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-06-24 7:12 PM The tyre valves factory-fitted to Mk 6 FWD Transits with 16" wheels (ie. the valves fitted to Laurence's Hymer 'Van' and my 2005 Hobby T-600 FC) are, in fact, high-pressure 'snap-in' type with a design maximum pressure of around 100psi. Mk 7 Transits with 16" wheels also use a HP snap-in valve, but the design is radically different.

Oh, I do hope so, Derek, I do hope so!!

This is a link to what I believe was the last thread on this subject

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9484&posts=21

(Incidentally, while I was searching for that thread, I came across use of the term "steel valve" when referring to the type of clamp-in valve suitable for motorhome wheels. As far as I'm aware the metal components of these valves are made from plated brass not steel. Certainly that's the case for the valves I had fitted to my Hobby.)

Archived