polarity test

duetto owner

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It very much depends on what lights are and are not showing.

For example if it says Live and Neutral are reversed then Yes it is a simple 'reverse polarity' lead that you need to fix it, but if it says No earth or anything else then something more serious is happening.

Tell us exactly what you get and we'll be able to advise.

Keith.

Klyne - 2009-07-03 5:49 PM Best to make your own. See here for the info you need http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/frencheuropeanelectric.htm David

However, David may wish to revise his wording here, "1 X Short lead with male and female CEE17 plugs on either end wired with the positive and neutral wired the wrong way round."  I find this ambiguous, in that it could be taken to mean that both male and female connectors should be reverse wired, which would negate the purpose.

It is only one (it matters not which) connector that should be reverse wired; the connector at the other end of the lead should be correctly wired.  It is essential to ensure the earth wire is correctly connected in both.

If the tester indicates any earth fault, do not use the site connection you have connected to, but try another.  If they all show faults, either the site has an earth problem, or your van does!  Do not use 230V mains until you are confident you have an earth connection.

We have an automatic reverse wireing detector fitted, having been holidaying in Europe now for about three years, usually three months at a time, I have to say that I have yet to come across anyone who has known anyone to have come to any harm from reverse wireing so maybe we are just worrying just s tad too much about this.

Maybe someone will come along and explain to us exactly what it is about reverse wireing that makes it so dangerous, or not as the case may be

We have only ecer come across reverse polarity while testing abroad - rather than keep changing the wiring over (you can bet your bottom dollar that the next site is always opposite to the previous nights etc) we just bought another connector and reversed that so we carry both. A little extra layout but very time saving and stops any hassle on your vacation!

No that will not be reversed polarity, (unless of course someone has swapped them round for you), it will just enable you to actually physically connect.

Nor will you be able to shop around for one. The reason for that of course is that the wires are the wrong way round. That's like selling you a stick of dynamite and being asked would you like a match to light it with Sir?

You have to buy one and swap the wires round yourself, that way you're responsible for it, and not the retailer.

Martyn

duetto owner - 2009-07-04 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I have a continental attachment for a hook up will that be reversed polarity or do i shop around for one.

No it will not. Why bother, I have never checked for either reverse polarity or an earth and probably never will. If your van is fairly modern their is no need. Reverse polarity will do no harm and the only danger is if you intend to dismantle electrics and only isolate at the switch when their will be a chance the item is still live, pull the hook up out if you intend to do any electrical work. No earth can be slightly more serious but still not a great worry, most items now are double insulated and risk is to small to bother with. Few people ever bother with this stuff in practice and most of them who do seem to contribute to forums, just enjoy your holidays. Oh just in case you wonder about my qualifications for making these remarks I did a five year electrical engineering apprenticship and have an HNC in electrical engineering.

rupert123 - 2009-07-04 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I have a continental attachment for a hook up will that be reversed polarity or do i shop around for one.

No it will not. Why bother, I have never checked for either reverse polarity or an earth and probably never will. If your van is fairly modern their is no need. Reverse polarity will do no harm and the only danger is if you intend to dismantle electrics and only isolate at the switch when their will be a chance the item is still live, pull the hook up out if you intend to do any electrical work. No earth can be slightly more serious but still not a great worry, most items now are double insulated and risk is to small to bother with. Few people ever bother with this stuff in practice and most of them who do seem to contribute to forums, just enjoy your holidays. Oh just in case you wonder about my qualifications for making these remarks I did a five year electrical engineering apprenticship and have an HNC in electrical engineering.

Sorry Rupert I cannot accept this cavalier attitude towards safety. Any action that can be taken to prevent an accident is worth taking.

I too did a 5 year apprenticeship and have an HNC in Electrical Engineering which has no bearing on fixed wiring installations. I have the appropriate certificates in relation to the electrical regulations which allow me to carry out electrical inspections on fixed installations which my HNC does not cover.

Reversed polarity just means that the live and neutral have been reversed. In the UK we normally only switch the live wire, and although switching the neutral only will stop the item from working the killer voltage is still in the equipment. On the continent they switch both live and neutral so it does not matter which pin on the plug is connected to live.

So use your polarity dectector with the three lights and provided that your earth is present and only the live and neutral are reversed - just turn your connector to the site supply upsidedown, or wire a second connector with live and neutral reversed, this will make the 3 greens/reds light up.

duetto owner - 2009-07-04 10:29 AM Thanks for all the advice, I have a continental attachment for a hook up will that be reversed polarity or do i shop around for one.

But Rupert, for your statement to be taken at face value, your several provisos have first to be met.

First proviso: you say "if your van is fairly modern".  This is hopelessly loose terminology, and also implies that with a not "fairly modern" van there may indeed be a need to check.  What then?

Second proviso: you say "most items now are double insulated".  Whereas this may be true, it begs the question of the safety of those items that are not double insulated, in the event that there is no earth.

Third, is the risk from the on-board installation if wiring has vibrated loose en route, which you have not mentioned.

The original poster admitted no knowledge of electrics.  I have to say I think your answer potentially dangerous to such a person.  You understand the risks and chose to take them.  This person cannot, on their own admission, understand the risks, and so should not be encouraged to take them.

I appreciate that you are seeking to remove unnecessary worry, but the tester is a simple device and easy to use.  The short reversing lead Klyne describes is easy to make up provided you can wire a plug and, if you can't, an electrician can always be consulted.  Using these two simple remedies the installation remains as safe as that at home, in their absence the risk is increased.  Why advocate practises that increase risk, when avoidance is so easily achieved?

My final thought is this.  This is someone who intends travelling abroad.  We do not know where they may end up, so we cannot just assume that all the site installations they encounter will be new enough for the supply pillars to be RCD and MCB protected, properly installed, and well maintained.  I have come across some very strange installations indeed over the years, including absent earths, and even one that apparently changed polarity from time to time during the day.  Some countries are better at inspecting and testing than others, and some installations seem to slip through the net, so a little intelligent risk avoidance is a sensible precaution, even if it does take around 15 seconds.  Better that than suffer a severe shock, I think.

Iv'e just done a tour of Morocco and on some CAMPSITES?????mere reversed polarity would have been a blessing, most of the hook up facilities were down right dangerous, some had bare live wires sticking out of them and it was even suggested to me by a Guardian that I connected my van by the use of Crocodile clips, I always check polarity when I hook up and I HAVE seen a hook up post catch fire on a campsite in Spain. *-) *-)

shortcircuit - 2009-07-04 12:38 PM

Sorry Rupert I cannot accept this cavalier attitude towards safety. Any action that can be taken to prevent an accident is worth taking.

I too did a 5 year apprenticeship and have an HNC in Electrical Engineering which has no bearing on fixed wiring installations. I have the appropriate certificates in relation to the electrical regulations which allow me to carry out electrical inspections on fixed installations which my HNC does not cover.

Your apprenticship must have been a strange one if it did not cover fixed wiring installations. However that aside it is not a cavalier attitude just a common sense one. What exactly is the risk with reverse polarity, if, as I stated, you do not mess with electrics with a hookup connected. We all take risks every day and do not bother about it if it is minimal. You simply cannot eliminate some risk, after all look at all the people who drive about in 'A' class vans none of which to my knowledge has ever been crash tested, am sure they do not bother about it. No this reverse polarity thing is an old chestnut that should go the same way as gas attacks.

Your comment regarding my apprenticeship suggests a lack of depth of knowledge in the electrical field. Electricians by name can be found in various areas of the electrical industry carrying out vastly different tasks but all relating to electricity.

The polarity test debate has been done to death on this and other forums so I am not going into a technical debate.

Common sense is lacking in many aspects and to suggest a simple test is an old chestnut is in fact irresponsible.

Klyne - 2009-07-03 5:49 PM

Best to make your own. See here for the info you need http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/frencheuropeanelectric.htm

David

Correct me if I'm wrong,(and I'm sure someone will) I thought you had to be a qualified SPARKY to make a reverse polarity lead/adaptor.

I was told by a friend if you are connected using the 2 pin adaptor lead if you get reverse polarity and you turn the lead through 180 degrees it changes it....is it true!!!

I am unaware of any law/regulation that dictates an electrician must wire a plug.  I am under the impression that a householder can wire plugs as s/he chooses, but has to accept the consequences.  If anyone knows different, I should appreciate the source of this.

Can you invert two pin connectors?  Not necessarily.  The French socket has a male earth on one side only, so can only be inverted if the plug has female earth connectors both sides (unusual).  German two pin sockets have wiping connectors on both sides, so plugs with the corresponding earth contacts can be inverted (common).  Can't remember what other countries have.

Guest Tracker

Alternatively why not simply get bigger batteries and/or a solar panel, leave the mains lead at home and just enjoy the freedom of being a 'real' motor caravanner?

It works for us - and has for over 35 years!

Just to add my two penneth worth - I would always check for reverse polarity - it takes seconds to change over conectors, and takes all the worry out of the situation as well as safe guarding your van and more importantly yourself.

It is also important to remember not to leave your excess hook up lead coiled up, this is again another danger that is eliminated by a tiny effort in setting up and putting away.

Safety and peace of mind are most important

mondo - 2009-07-04 6:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong,(and I'm sure someone will) I thought you had to be a qualified SPARKY to make a reverse polarity lead/adaptor.

I was told by a friend if you are connected using the 2 pin adaptor lead if you get reverse polarity and you turn the lead through 180 degrees it changes it....is it true!!!

This will only work providing your two pin plug has got TWO earthing strips on it, many of them have only one earthing strip

Sorry Brian missed your earlier post

So!!

To me, from all of thid debate, it seems that the only real danger from reverse wireing will come from anyone dismantleing electrical equipment while it is still plugged into the supply.

Is that correct??

Archived