Fridge cooing fan

kelly58

Our new Ace Airstream 680FB has a Fridge and seperate Freezer which seems a bit gas hungry and seems to produce a lot of hot air. I am thinking of fitting a small 12v fan ( like you find in a PC ) to draw the warm air away through the top vent to keep the air flowing better , has anyone fitted such a device ?

Guest JudgeMental

Yes I had one on last van, a double PC fan type from CAK tanks I think.... there is not enough room behind vent on new van, so just have to remove vent cover and place it on temporarily...not ideal but it works.

another idea is to get a cheap 230v/12v fan and tie rap it to vent...lots of people do this

Kelly,

Before you go to the expense and trouble of fitting a fan have you checked the sealing around the rear of the fridge?

Either look at the original fitting instructions for the fridge or there is an excellent chapter in John Wickersham's book covering the subject in great detail.

The sealing of our fridge was nowhere near what was recommended with only a token gesture of a baffle to the top vent. Now I have improved it the fridge appears to function far better.

Keith.

JohnP - 2009-07-12 4:48 PM

I use two fans from PC's fitted to the inside of the top vent. This works very well.

Dometic market a kit for the job but it is expensive.

I have the Domitec kit fitted and it works well plus it is automatic so I don't have to remember to switch it on

I've fitted fans in the past to 70 litre fridges in caravans due to the inability of the fridges to maintain temperature in anything above 24 deg C.

My current van has the 150 litre fridge/separate freezer, just come back from 3 weeks in Germany had temperatures of between 18 to 30 deg fridge performed faultlessly with thermostat set at half way, yet to find out if it will work as well in Italy at 35 - 40 deg but results so far look promising.

If your fridge is maintaining internal temperature correctly I would not fit a fan as you may find it will get too cold.

Yes the bigger fridges do use a lot more gas but noware near as much as the 'C' series combi heaters, an 11kg (20litre) bottle lasts us 2½-3 weeks running fridge & hot water with very occasional heater use, costs less than a tenner to refill.

Guest peter
If you fit a fan it will be better if you fit an Automatic Reset Thermal Fuse in the positive supply and mounted on the condensor. Not sure what value of fuse you would need as I don't have any idea what temp' the condensor should ideally run at.

Assuming that the ventilation grilles are the Dometic variety with anti-insect mesh, it might be simpler just to remove the mesh. According to Dometic the mesh can reduce a grille's 'free cross section' by up to 50%.

My Dometic RM-7605L fridge/freezer's manual gives the average gas consumption as 380g in 24 hours, measured at an average ambient temperature of 25°C.

Archived