'Chattering' wheel trims

Rees

We have a Mirage 5000. The wheels have a stainless steel trim that covers the centre of each wheel (to the inside rim). This is secured by two stout screws to the central wheel hub/centre. Around the trim are four small blocks (plastic type material) that act as spaces when the trim is screwed securely onto the wheel. Each of these spacers is held by a small screws through the wheel trim.

When travelling, I have found that the wheels trims vibrate against the wheel itself, causing a chattering sound that can grow louder and be very distractive. Whilst in Germany last month I got rid of this 'chattering' by placing some cloth under each of the spacing blacks and then screwing the trim securely back to the wheel, making a tighter fit.

Have any other motorhome onwers had this chattering and if so how did you cure it?

I have now cleaned each wheel trim and cut a small piece of former plastic dish washer material to fit and stuck this on to the spacers with wood glue! When the wheel trim is tighted up, there is no noise now from the wheel trim. It works. Excellent.

Archived