Number Plates

yesmad

Do you think that there will be new plates from Sept next year? cos they will not be able to have 510 as there isn't the room on the number plate and they cannot alter the size of the plate or the font without passing a new law. What do you think?

Clive, you have arrived at the right answer but possibly by the wrong route.

You use the year for the March number and then add 50 to the year for the September number. So March 2010 is 10 and September becomes 60. And then for 2011 March is 11 and September 61.

Hers a Link to a site I've just found.

Keith.

That's a great link and it does explain the madness of our number plate system. As a retired police officer, what I would like to see from a reg number is that owner of the vehicle has a unique number and that when you change your car you put your number onto your new vehicle, much like personalized number plates. The system that we have always had is that the vehicle is registered to one place at one point in time so you could buy a car in Scotland one day and the next move to the south of England, what use is that and why do we need to have two dates of registration it just beggars belief to me, still that's my moan over and done with and I have learnt something in the process. Happy camping.

yesmad - 2009-11-26 8:13 PM

That's a great link and it does explain the madness of our number plate system. As a retired police officer, what I would like to see from a reg number is that owner of the vehicle has a unique number and that when you change your car you put your number onto your new vehicle, much like personalized number plates.

I have 12 vehicles at last count, how would that work?

The system that we have always had is that the vehicle is registered to one place at one point in time so you could buy a car in Scotland one day and the next move to the south of England, what use is that

For some unknown reason the police where keen on a location based system.

and why do we need to have two dates of registration it just beggars belief to me, still that's my moan over and done with and I have learnt something in the process. Happy camping.

Thats the 'trades' fault, very first year letters where at beginning of year 'they' had it moved to august a slow sales month, with the new system 'they' wanted two year markers to spread/increase sales.

See you've learnt a little more :D

I think the DVLA also like the current system because they can make up various 'names' with it and get loads of dosh from people who like personalised reg plates!

A work colleague bought personalised reg numbers (ie initials) for her and her partner ... and her 1 year old son!!! Why????????? By the time he gets to drive a car it'll have changed again!!!! 8-)

I believe the Belgians have a "personal" system, which is why you sometimes see battered, old-looking plates on new-looking cars there.

Multiple ownership shouldn't be a problem - the same person is responsible, so it really doesn't mattter which of their vehicles was doing 32mph.

But I don't know how it works for fleet/company/hire cars etc.

New Zealand has an even more interesting system - you just make up your own registration which is then yours for life - can be any combination of letters and numbers as long as it doesn't exceed a certain size and no one else has it. As for our own system, when the current series expires all they have to do is reverse the order and have three letters at the front and two "county" numbers at the end. That gives another 50 years or so by which time they'll probably be back to horses.

Surely the whole point of a registration is that it is unique so why should it matter where you register it. When you sign up for skype you have a unique caller name which can be accessed from anywhere in the world. So come on you people who make things difficult for no real purpose, other than to keep civil servants in work. Oh no don`t get me started on that one!!!!

Roy Fuller

Archived