Sprinter Indicator fault

Peter Highe

Hi

We have a Hymer on a 2006 Sprinter. The computer told me that I had a fault on the right indicator and it was clicking quicker. The side repeater bulb was out so I changed it - twice. It is not lighting and I am still getting the fault warning. Do I need to reset this in some way?

Peter

Peter,

If the other indicators on that side are working, just flashing quicker then you have a problem with the wiring to that repeater or the bulb holder is not gripping the bulb corectly. If you can waggle the bulb in its holder before putting it back in place you may see it light up in which case turn the ignition off and 'adjust' the contacts. If that does not fix it you will be looking for a broken wire.

Nick

Not an expert but having had a similar problem with a Fiat 2.8JTD some years ago this sounds more like a wiring problem rather than simply a duff bulb.

My particular problem had arisen because the indicator cable had come adrift at a junction under the chassis which is used to connect wiring from the base vehicle - Fiat in my case - to the coachbuilt rear.

In any event I doubt whether re-setting the computer will fix the matter.

V

While Nicks about can I piggy back this post and get his view on the problem I've just had with my Merc.

I've just lost power to the screen washer and suspect this is down to the washer freezing up. Unfortunately there's no fuse specified for this in the manual.

Do you think it's paired with some other function in the fuse box or do Mercedes have another way of stopping the pump until the water thaws out.

I'd be grateful

V

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I've scraped the terminals (which are in good nick), tightened them and wiggled - all to no avail so I think it must be a wiring problem. It is getting dark now here in Almeria so I'll have another go tomorrow and post again if I solve the problem.

Peter

Hi we have a 05 sprinter based m/h, ours developed a funny indicator fault. Cured it by replacing the relay situated on the panel in the steering column.

Remove plastic cover beneath the steering wheel, you will see towards the bottom of the panel a 1 inch square Grey coloured box, that simply plugs in, I took it to a merc dealer and for a few pounds bought what I believe to be an updated version.

Plugged it in, no problems since.

Roy

Hi

Thanks for the ideas folks and in particular to keithl. In the end I traced it to a loose connection to a spade terminal for an earthing bolt - right on the other side of the van in the engine bay. I fitted another spade terminal and hey presto, job done. Interestingly this is clearly a fault with a Hymer addition because of the A class body and not a Mercedes wiring fault.

Peter

Archived