MORE SNOW

Clive

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2009-12-22 12:38 PM

it took my wife 4 hours to drive 4 miles last night back from work. my son walked approx the same from Christmas shopping in Croydon and my daughter had a 5 mile walk from Brixton via a friends house where there was a gatering of her friends back from Uni.

It is unbelievable! this downpour was not forecast, I got caught in the opening salvo out on my bike. You are supposed to learn from your mistakes we pay £2500 council tax, a bit of gritting when necessary is not to much to ask is it! :-S

Bit risky walking from Brixton these days isn't it? It was o/k when I lived there in the 60's. Where we used to get on well with the Jamaican population. But all this political correctness crap seems to have soured relations somewhat.

Guest JudgeMental
come on Peter, surely I don't have to tell an intelligent chap like you about the perception of crime and the reality. My 16 year old son is statistically in greater danger.........if he was black even more!

W3526602 - 2009-12-22 7:21 AM

Hi.

I have not seen anybody gritting, I have not seen a gritter lorry, and I have not seen any grit on the roads. Pavement outside my house was black ice as far as the eye coud see (it rained then froze) roads are just as dangerous to walk on. Neither the bypass nor Neath town centre apear to have been gritted .... dangerous to walk between the shops, but not to bad to drive on.

What we need is a more meaningful policy than "do not travel unless your journey is necessary". Lets face it,it snow so seldom in UK, that it is scarcely worth planning for ....... but there ought to be a policy in place that we all know about, and understand.

"This is the nine o'clock news. Today you should stay in bed ! Those in job catergories A, B, and G, SHOULD go to work, and WILL receive their bonus payments."

Or how about this:

"Todays weather is forecast to be severe so stay at home unless you are employed in a vital service i.e. fire, police, ambulance, power generation, council gritter. Anyone found stranded in adverse weather conditions during a non vital journey will be shot on discovery!"

D.

knight of the road - 2009-12-22 4:40 PM
J9withdogs - 2009-12-21 6:29 PM NOT FAIR!! We haven't had so much as a flake of snow yet this winter :'(
Thats because you live in gods own country, I'm glad that I bought a nice warm nightshirt from a shop in Shrewsbury, to hell with what I look like I am nice and warm even if I do look like Wee Willie Winkie. (lol)

Awe, come on Malc, don't you mean Wee Willy Harris :-D

Dave

JudgeMental - 2009-12-22 9:05 PM

come on Peter, surely I don't have to tell an intelligent chap like you about the perception of crime and the reality. My 16 year old son is statistically in greater danger.........if he was black even more!

Ahh yes Judge I agree, but from the police :D :D :D

davenewell@home - 2009-12-22 9:05 PM

W3526602 - 2009-12-22 7:21 AM

Hi.

I have not seen anybody gritting, I have not seen a gritter lorry, and I have not seen any grit on the roads. Pavement outside my house was black ice as far as the eye coud see (it rained then froze) roads are just as dangerous to walk on. Neither the bypass nor Neath town centre apear to have been gritted .... dangerous to walk between the shops, but not to bad to drive on.

What we need is a more meaningful policy than "do not travel unless your journey is necessary". Lets face it,it snow so seldom in UK, that it is scarcely worth planning for ....... but there ought to be a policy in place that we all know about, and understand.

"This is the nine o'clock news. Today you should stay in bed ! Those in job catergories A, B, and G, SHOULD go to work, and WILL receive their bonus payments."

Or how about this:

"Todays weather is forecast to be severe so stay at home unless you are employed in a vital service i.e. fire, police, ambulance, power generation, council gritter. Anyone found stranded in adverse weather conditions during a non vital journey will be shot on discovery!"

D.

How sad to see such support for an even more nanny state.

:-D

Makes me wonder how on earth we coped before 'severe weather' was invented about ten or fifteen years ago.

:-(

Not long in from a trip out in what the weatherman said would be bad driving conditions, don't know what the fuss is about, o.k. -7c, fog and icy roads are not ideal, but just drive smoothly and no problems, I know I was driving the ideal class of vehicle (lightwieght 4x4) but most of the small cars seemed to be coping fine, seen two Range Rovers and an L200 in ditchs but of cause they are some of the worst vehicles to drive in these conditions apart from BMW's and MB's, gf's brother had problems with sliding in his Defender, don't think he would appriciate me telling him to get a Suzi :D

Just read in the Manchester Evening News that two local men have died because of the weather, one was a 60 year old breakdown truck driver who was struck by a VW Golf on the M62 motorway just after he had loaded a broken down vehicle, and the other was a single man who went into an iced up lake to rescue his German Alsation, what a horrible Christmas for their families.

• 2 weeks later...
You can have some of ours Jan :-S our road has about 6" and it has ruts where the bin lorries etc; have been! yesterday I thought one of our neighbours was moving as a big white removal lorry went slowly past! it came back about 5 Min's later with the back door open and men shovelling Salt out on to the road from the back open doors. 8-)

nowtelse2do - 2009-12-22 9:26 PM
knight of the road - 2009-12-22 4:40 PM
J9withdogs - 2009-12-21 6:29 PM NOT FAIR!! We haven't had so much as a flake of snow yet this winter :'(
Thats because you live in gods own country, I'm glad that I bought a nice warm nightshirt from a shop in Shrewsbury, to hell with what I look like I am nice and warm even if I do look like Wee Willie Winkie. (lol)

Awe, come on Malc, don't you mean Wee Willy Harris :-D

Dave

Wee Willie Harris is still doing the clubs so I read recently.

I dont think many of my neighbours made it to work today, their cars are all stuck half way in and half way out of their driveways.

And all the main roads have been logjammed, apparently a trucker has been killed in a smash on the nearby M60, another local tragedy.

Typical!!!! The first time in years that there's been enough snow to build igloos and have a really good snowball fight and I'm stuck at home poorly! :-(

Not fair ... at least an inch has fallen since this morning and it's just laying there saying 'come on, you know you want to!!!!'. >:-(

It started here about 6.15 pm and within an hour we have got about 2". It has started again now. Well not too bothered not going anywhere in a hurry. We can always walk if we need to go out the dog will love it the only problem is it mats up underneath him and it a bit dogey trying to get it off.

J9withdogs - 2010-01-05 1:02 PM

We now have had about half an inch of snow - do the snow-gods not like Bridgnorth??

What amazes me though is the fact that the A442 from Kidderminster is virtually closed on one quite steep hill.

Isn't the year 2010, not 1910?

Janine,

We will be staying at the Oswestry campsite for two weeks at Easter and of course we will be mooching about round Iron gorge, if you happen to spot a mature handsome kinda guy walking around town it will be me :-)

About 4 inches now (snow) and still falling - small particles now but a few minites ago huge flakes that blotted out your vision at about 10 foot.

Seems to me like noone has gone to work.

I usually have several dozen emails to deal with by now but so far only three and one of them was to say that a particular office was closed for the day.

So once I have cleared the desk it will be feet up, large mug of tea and a good book.

:-D

knight of the road - 2010-01-06 9:37 AM
J9withdogs - 2010-01-05 1:02 PM We now have had about half an inch of snow - do the snow-gods not like Bridgnorth?? What amazes me though is the fact that the A442 from Kidderminster is virtually closed on one quite steep hill. Isn't the year 2010, not 1910?
Janine, We will be staying at the Oswestry campsite for two weeks at Easter and of course we will be mooching about round Iron gorge, if you happen to spot a mature handsome kinda guy walking around town it will be me :-)

Malc, if your next hospital appointment is late coming, Jannie might be looking for a well manured kind of guy, so don't hold your hopes up to much. :-D

Dave

J9withdogs - 2010-01-06 11:55 AM

I've got redwings sitting in the holly tree! Beautiful birds (lol)

Two blue t its in our garden. The wife has,nt finished clearing the path yet, but i,m ready for dinner. Seem to be running low on rock salt now, which is understandable, and often wonder where all those squillions of ton's go. Straight down the drains most probably and can now look forward to flooding when the the thaw sets in. Wonderfull.

Archived