going to New Zealand taking our own motorhome

atlantisbird

Hello MMM,

I hope this will get to the right people who will know where we need to be pointed.

We plan to sell our home and buy a motorhome soon, house is on sale and we have a very interested person who has been several times. No, we do not count the chickens before they hatch but things are looking hopeful.

And, before we get the response to buy another house and make sure it is what we want for the future we have been sensible all our lives and we have decided that before we settle down we have earned some fun time before we are not able to continue for whatever reason. My wife Ann 62 and myself Harry 61,toy boy have been looking forward to doing this for some time and we have been to Dusseldorf and NEC and MMM shows for a few years with no money to buy anything half decent and hopefully it will change soon, what we will buy is another hard decision to make.

We do not have a motorhome yet and we have spent 34 days in New Zealand

touring South Island in a rented Back Packer Toyota 2 berth, with two long seats to the rear like Autocruise but with no fineries like loo and shower cooker and the rest, then the following month by car in the North Island.

We plan to buy and set off either going by ship to USA crossing the states and ship to New Zealand or somehow go through Europe to get to a port which takes vehicles to New Zealand that way.

So if we get any good information from yourselves or advice it will be most helpful as we will be winging it if not.

Questions: what insurances, what shipping companies, what ports to head for,

what visas we need for both us and the motorhome, what clubs to join, how long can we spend driving in each country, what to avoid, what restrictions if any to drive in USA/Canada with right handed motorhome, what is needed to keep in touch modems?dongles and the like in those countries.

There must be more questions but one final one for MMM can we join a MMM

online club and pay subs so that we can read our favourite mag when we are in other countries.

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

Atlantisbird

Join the Silk Route Network - some of their members have shipped to and from the USA, and tackled the insurance etc issues. No doubt someone will have taken their van to New Zealand too.

See: www.silkroute.org.uk (however the server seems to be non-responsive at the moment)

AndyC

Guest JudgeMental

Lots of Germans ship to America, normally from Holland I think. Have a look at http://www.promobil.de/ and use an auto translator. I can see the point of this but not to New Zealand, it just don't make sense to me unless it is a final destination....

Personally :-D you have lived a while without a motorhome, why the sudden urge to cart one around the world.......I just don't get it. If I had the opportunity you have, I would buy 2 round the world air ticket and see the world unhindered and probably cheaper and more enjoyably. but I'm probably a bit jaded lol, and have been camping/motor homing for almost 30 years. But we have winter holidays in the states, last easter Goa and this coming Easter Thailand. this spring France (van) and summer Italy again (van)

If shipping to the states you would probably be better of with Mercedes or Ford as I think you will find it easier regards faults/servicing etc....

Have you considered a worse case scenario? risk assessment for different eventuality's? eg: one of you falls seriously ill or worse and the other is stranded with a motorhome not registered there so probably unsaleable...what would happen next. Whereas if just flying/touring around if something happens travel insurance will cover the unexpected.

An alternative is to buy when you get there and sell at end of trip thats what Australians/kiwis do here. Or buy a van tour Europe see how you get on and then ship to America. keep us up to date as this will be an interesting thread! all the best :-D

I had a "wonder how?" look into shipping our van to the USA for last year and from my initial findings I discovered is possible to get from the UK to USA. The cost is only viable, (I thought), if we would be staying for 12 months or so. The cost of hiring or buying a US van for that period then selling it on was too expensive. But that was before the credit crunch when "apparently" you now can pick up a decent RV for next to nothing stateside.

Anyway, you ship from Liverpool to either N.Y., Baltimore or Boston. It costs about 4 grand one way. That is for the van only. You then either book passage on the same cargo ship, (cost unknown), or wait 11 days then fly out to meet your van wherever it's destination.

The vehicle insurance has to be done when you get there. I couldn't find someone here to cover me, but it might be different now. You just join the American Caravan Club and use their address for your "home" address in the States. This is, from what I discovered OK over there. You will need to sort out spare tyres before you go and take them with you. No matter what spec your van is they don't do tyres for European wheel sizes over there for anything other than the cost of a kidney! Just put 4 spare tyres in your van before it is sealed for transit then get Fed Ex, or whoever to stre them for you until needed.

You go on a 6 month tourist visa and either go into Canada or Mexico for 24 hours, come back and your 6 months starts again. That was according to the US embassy at the time, but they are/have tightened up their visa procedure now so please check!

Your van's MOT, if req., and tax doesn't count over there so when it runs out you jst arrange for it to be done over here when you get back. They might not let you get off the docks on your return without it anyway!

It sounds expensive to get there but your van will do at least 3-4 times what a US van will do to the gallon so there is a saving there. The cost of buying WAS dearer 18 months ago but might have changed since, so I can't be certain on savings/loss now. Insurance is cheaper, but you will have to get special medical cover for you both before you go and that might be expensive because it would be a long stay. U.S. medical insurance companies might be your best bet there.

If you look on www.magbaztravels.com there is a blog of someone who did this a few years ago. If you contact them they might be able to tell you more details. If you go please keep me "in the loop" because I haven't discounted it as a long term plan myself yet.

As for the full timing. I wish I could persuade Ann to sign up for the gig. I nearly did but she chickened out! I think her and "The Judge" had colluded because she came up with the same "practical" thoughts as he did! But I'm hoping the drip drip of me moaning on might change her mind! ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

It is cheaper to ship from Europe, Antwerp I think is the best port. A company called "seabridge" have a good reputation.

this link to thread on promobil forum has lots of links and information re touring the states and Canada

http://tinyurl.com/yjjf4u2

The link does not work.....go to site and find forum - then "travel and places" - then " Non-European" scroll down to "US Tips?" there are other threads as well

here is a detailed trip: lots of useful stuff re shipping etc.... bring spare tyres - US sizes probably not compatible - servicing kits for the same reason...the endless list of hassle goes on and on:-D

http://tinyurl.com/yko49s4

Hi

There was a series of articles about 5 years back in MMM about a couple who shipped motorhome to OZ, then on to NZ, then on to USA - sounded great fun.

I have looked back and did not keep the articles but perhaps someone else has them!

Its certainly doable. The other option is to Hire - we have done this twice in OZ and once in NZ - but the costs have esculated hugely when i looked to do that again this year - makes shipping your own a little more attractive!! You would need to compare costs.

If you take a long term hire you can get discounts and we hired from same company in NZ & OZ and they gave us a discount based on the joint time across both countries (3 months)

Peter

Like others, I have difficulty seeing that it would be economic to ship the motorhome to NZ. We're a long way away! I would have thought that buying on arrival and selling on departure would be a better proposition. The van you hired on a previous visit was at the bottom end of the market so I hope you're not judging all NZ vans by that. Fully equipped vans are readily available. Many, if not most, motorhomes (more commonly called campervans or motor caravans here) built here were designed for the rental market so are a little lacking in some refinements, but the current crop are as good as European versions. In fact, European, including British, vans are becoming very popular here, with a number of companies importing them for hire and sale.

NZ does not make it easy to import a vehicle, even temporarily. Here is a link to a fact sheet that will tell you all about it:

http://www.transfund.govt.nz/factsheets/35.html

Significant points are:

Unless dispensation is obtained, the vehicle can be here for a maximum of 12 months. The vehicle must remain legally registered (taxed, to you Brits) in its country of origin for the duration of its time here.

You must temporarily register the vehicle here and it must pass a safety inspection.

You will need a Carnet de passages en douanes, or get a temporary import entry permit from NZ Customs. This latter route requires payment of a significant deposit, refundable on departure.

Your vehicle must not be more than 2.5 metres wide, plus mirrors.

Note that insurance is not compulsory in NZ. However you would be foolish not to insure your vehicle here - our main roads are not all as user-friendly as UK main roads (very few dual-carriageways), and idiotic risky driving is common - we're an impatient lot. Some of the more interesting roads are not sealed - the surface is loose gravel. Such roads are much less common nowadays but they are still there. While we oldies are used to driving on such roads as they were very common in our youth, the loose surfaces catch out many overseas visitors. There are many insurance companies, but the I know that the AA commonly deals with tourist insurance. Others will also. The AA address is http://www.nzaa.co.nz. They can also help with general advice.

Also, what you pay for diesel at the pumps stupidly does not include road tax. You have to buy a prepaid road tax label before you can use the vehicle. It's based on distance covered so you need to think ahead, but additional tax can be paid in most areas at local post shops (we don't have post offices) or AA offices.

Once you're here, petrol & diesel is about 70% of UK prices but in other respects, we're not such a cheap destination any more as for some bewildering reason, the NZ dollar is very strong at the moment - one UK pound gets you only about $2.25 now.

Re ports, the main ports of entry to the North Island would be Auckland or Tauranga. Lyttelton (Christchurch) or Timaru would be the South Island equivalents.

If you want general advice you could contact the NZ Motor Caravan Association at http://www.nzmca.org.nz.

Mobile internet etc is readily available. Try http://www.vodafone.co.nz or http://telecom.co.nz. There are lots of internet cafes and other means of internet access also.

I hope this epistle helps!

As a matter of interest, about 5 years ago I looked into the possibility of buying a van in NZ and shipping it home after a long holiday in NZ. I could have got a brand new Merc Sprinter based van from Caravans International in Christchurch for about £21,000 and the cost of shipping it home would have been about £8,000. The total cost would have been much lower than a European built van but it would have been single glazed and not really up to UK spec. But I couldn't believe how cheap it was - I had to pay about £25,000 just for a merc chassis cab here! But if you're going to NZ for a lengthy holiday it might be worth looking into (ie you could always sell it afterwards). But I suspect hiring would be the cheapest option.

Hello to all and thank you.

We have been visited by our potential buyer with his mother this morning and this afternoon by other members of their family and his builder so it is still on up to now.

Let me thank all the people who have replied so far, it has given us quite a lot to think about.

American and buying there seems to make a lot of sense. We were there two years ago for a month in a car and staying in motels from Las Vegas then north to Santa Rosa up the Highway 1, whale watching in Monterey returning via San Francisco where we hired a bike and rode east from Fisherman's Wharf and over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausaleto had lunch then went to the dock there and got the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf "wonderful". On the way back we went to an RV Show in Pleasanton just south of Frisco and was offered a Tioga which was a very nice two year old for 35 thousand dollars but we were not in the market at that time. We then on our way back for our flight home we went through Yosemite !mmmm! we could have spent a lot of time there, maybe, when we return!!!

We were also offered to store at a dealer an RV and pick us up at a nearby airport as long as they could service it and us pay 50 dollars a month storage which we thought was reasonable that was slightly more expensive to buy.

What a useful tool this forum will be when we get started. I have only just started to get to reading some of the threads.

I think I will have to print all the answers as it looks like there may be a few more yet.

Our kindest regards

Harry & Ann

Hi Harry & Ann - welcome to the mad house. :D

One concern I have is - are you SURE you could live in a motorhome permanently? It's not everyone's cup of tea. Even those of us who have a motorhome can get a bit stir crazy in them after a couple of weeks (and we've got a big 'un!).

Take youre time and think very carefully - my cousin recently sold up and bought a motorhome and moved to Italy, with the intention of finding a permanent home there - she didn't last 3 months and has come back with just a bit of her money left from the house sale and that's it - no permanent home, no jobs - nothing. She hadn't put too much thought into it and also hadn't reckoned on how much she'd miss her family, even in such a short length of time. Going away for a month or 2 is completely different to going away for a year or longer ...

Have you considered trying to get a buy back deal?  You buy a van on the basis the dealer will buy it back from you at the end of your trip, with luck at a mileage based agreed price.  You therefore have a van as made for that country, which will be registered in that country.  May be of some use in the States as it will not immediately identify you as a foreigner.  I would suggest checking whether you will have problems with any of the State laws, as they do vary from State to State.  Assuming you pass the necessary regarding driving license, your remaining problem may be any residency requirements for vehicle insurance.  You will, of course, have to kit out the van at the outset in each country, but the dealers should be able to assemble a starter pack to get you going.

Well just a very quick look this afternoon, what some of you are saying makes sense especially the buy back in America. Now then which of you have an RV lying idle in the States waiting for someone to borrow it for

6-12 months just so you know everything is still working ;-) kidding! honestly.

Seriously, Ann said to write, the problem we had in New Zealand was when we had to return the camper and go back to driving a car and B&Bs she was most upset. By the way we have only just got into laptops (advised to get Applebookpro for our journey,one less thing to get) and it is the first time Ann has used any computer in her 63 years so she is going to contribute if only to practice typing.

We only plan at the moment to go for 2+ years so that if anything happens we can always run back with our tails between our legs and buy a smaller property and if we spend up we can always rent.

Lets just hope we can sell up in order to pull it off. We still run our small business making toys and sensory things for children and adults with special needs and I know that will be the only thing I am likely to miss in this country.

We are now looking at the alternatives more.

Questions: Is there a cheaper State/place to buy in America, New Zealand, and Europe Ebay or other sites??

We went to BCA Measham auction in December just to look at some very nice m/homes and campers, one 08 Hobby 750 took our fancy it went for 41k and we had seen it in a dealers same but more miles 49,999.00.

Mel says welcome to the madhouse but I can see this getting very addictive

is there a cure!! ;-))

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

Brian Kirby - 2010-01-05 12:22 AM

Have you considered trying to get a buy back deal?  You buy a van on the basis the dealer will buy it back from you at the end of your trip, with luck at a mileage based agreed price.  You therefore have a van as made for that country, which will be registered in that country.  May be of some use in the States as it will not immediately identify you as a foreigner.  I would suggest checking whether you will have problems with any of the State laws, as they do vary from State to State.  Assuming you pass the necessary regarding driving license, your remaining problem may be any residency requirements for vehicle insurance.  You will, of course, have to kit out the van at the outset in each country, but the dealers should be able to assemble a starter pack to get you going.

Following Brian's suggestion, it might pay to investigate a similar deal with a NZ camper hire company. You buy / import ( Not sure if the M/homes are made in NZ) and sell it back to them when finished)

Rgds

Having hired in various parts of the world on a short time basis. My choice for long time use would be to buy 'on site' and sell at the end of whatever time span you choose. Should a problem occur you sell and return. So much simpler surely.

Harry, reading into your motives I'm uncertain that you have really taken in what you are considering.

Selling your house, drifting around the world and returning with no base can be (I cannot find a suitable word). At your senior ages its not a game!

Some do of course play that game. Not I any more.

Mike

Re Tony's comment about whether motorhomes are made in NZ, as I mentioned in my earlier post, most are made here and mainly for the rental market, but European, British and Australian made vehicles are now becoming more common and are very popular.

One of the largest rental companies here is Maui. They sell older vehicles. I don't know if they would do a buy-back deal, but their sales website is

http://www.mauidirect.co.nz/.

The equivalent of Ebay is Trademe. Here is a link to their motorhome section: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Caravans-motorhomes/Motorhomes/mcat-0001-0028-2983-.htm. A lot of dealers advertise there.

We also have Barrons at this web address: http://www.barrons.co.nz/

Good luck!

I have to say I agree with Lord Raindrop much better to buy a smaller property before you go and rent it out better income then in the bank and you always have a base you only have to give tenent two months notice and it would take longer than that to find a property and buy it when you returned

tomag - 2010-01-06 7:38 AM

I have to say I agree with Lord Raindrop much better to buy a smaller property before you go and rent it out better income then in the bank and you always have a base you only have to give tenent two months notice and it would take longer than that to find a property and buy it when you returned

Have to agree I'm afraid..... 5 years ago we met a couple in Greece who had sold up their home to go full timing on the med in a sailing boat......the wife was really miserable as she missed having "a normal sized home" and the "big boat" - 34ft in length - only felt big after sailing their dinghy for years - living in it was somewhat different. Their family had moved to Canada and wanted them to join them but they didn't have enough money left to buy a property in the UK and if they moved to Canada their small state pensions would be "pegged" as it is outside the UK. They had ended up drifting from place to place and begging UK papers and books etc from other Brits visiting the area.

Sorry to sound depressing but after meeting and speaking at length to them we revised our long term plans to do nsomething similar. Their biggest regret - not buying a small flat / house and renting out before they took such a leap - basically the housing market was a bit stale when they sold then it changed...... :-(

If you decide to go for it though in whatever form - have a wonderful time. ;-)

Thank you for your input Lord Raindrop and yes, we have considered the implications and we should have done this many years ago. We did in fact have a buyer in 2005-6 who backed out. Since then after hip replacement and other problems behind us we are once again going, considering the implications as we are sensible people, regardless. We appreciate the warnings and are taking them on board in making informed decisions. That is why we entered this forum.

To save all the concerns our house is paid off and is worth at least 2 years of mad money with enough to buy both a motorhome and a smaller property. The property we are in is too much for us to cope with for much longer as we do all our own maintenance and we do need in any case to downsize as we are about to retire. We intend to enjoy some time for ourselves after having worked hard all our lives having few holidays apart from the last 2 years.

Thank you all for your concerns and we are looking into all the wonderful contacts that this forum is producing.

Our warmest ( by the roaring fire ) regards.

Ann & Harry

Hello Alstair,

We have actually been to Barrons in New Zealand and spent 2 hours looking, we think it is in Taupo or Lake Taupo. The prices were higher than the orbiting space station when we looked December/January 2008-9 that is why we are considering taking our own. But from what information and advice we have received on this forum it is making us think more clearly. Barons NZ did have an Auction advertised while we were there in late December 2008 but we were off to Christchurch that week.

By the way for all those thinking of going to New Zealand it is like it was here 30-40 years ago with people showing a lot of respect!!!!!

We are all here in the UK snuggling up to the roaring fires while the country grinds to a halt for a few inches of snow.

Warmest regards,

Ann & Harry

Harry,

It now reads as if you've done the necessary homework, and why shouldn't you drive off into the sunset? Many would like the opportunity.

Your toys appear to be quality items so if that follows your personal outlook then you will succeed.

If you manage the USA do what the natives do and follow the seasons.

Do send us some details when you are travelling

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

There is somethings about this thread that really worries me....

I think they have barely scratched the surface of the undertaking they are contemplating

I would sell up and downsize then travel. you need a base financially and practically...again if one of you pegs it, leaving the other having to deal with the situation and no home to return to would be extremely distressing IMO

Right! Harry, have you friends or family in either the USA or NZ who you could leave van with if you fail to sell it? Then they can sell it on your behalf. as this would probably ne better then any "buy back"

How long do you intend to stay in NZ? If you buy a van for use in Europe first you could possibly do an exchange with some one in NZ as this is popular (like a holiday house exchange) This should be possible with Americans/Canadians as well

http://www.swapandtravel.com/concept-echange.php?lang=En

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/exchange.shtml

http://www.rvworldwide.com/

The USA in 6 months? are you visiting Canada as well? as they will be very upset otherwise.....I would think at least a year. But you need to do the math. a cheap car and motels would probably offer more freedom and convenience and less cost. RV parks are not cheap and can be out of the way ..how do you get around, Americans mostly tow a small car.

etc....etc....

JudgeMental - 2010-01-06 10:17 AM

How long do you intend to stay in NZ? If you buy a van for use in Europe first you could possibly do an exchange with some one in NZ as this is popular (like a holiday house exchange) This should be possible with Americans/Canadians as well

The USA in 6 months? are you visiting Canada as well? as they will be very upset otherwise.....I would think at least a year. But you need to do the math. a cheap car and motels would probably offer more freedom and convenience and less cost. RV parks are not cheap and can be out of the way ..how do you get around, Americans mostly tow a small car.

I've always found the idea of swapping intriguing, but decided against it after a chat with my insurance broker. In Canada the registered owner is just as liable as the driver - if an accident exceeds the liability limit, even though I'm not driving, I'm on the hook for any judgment. And of course there are other insurance considerations.

yes - we will be miffed if one were to visit the US & not Canada! >:-(

It is harder to get around. With the exception of Walmarts, there is nothing like the stellplatz/aire system over here. We have always had smaller campers, so never needed a "toad", as tow cars are called. Most campgrounds are outside cities, which is OK if that's whart you want to do. Even those that are fairly central usually require a vehicle to travel from them to any attraction. Actually a European size camper will make you more nimble over here than will most N.Am. campers.

Thank you For your posts particularly the advice on America and Canada. We would like of course to visit for a year seems only fair we do not upset our allies

across the pond either north or south. We did come across a web site some time ago P&J a Peggy and John from Canada, ex Royal Mounted police they had a blog on their journey from Canada to Mexico border they left their rig, a Bounder, then went over the border to get dental work done. They also did talks at meets and wrote e-books.

Judgemental: We do have a daughter in New Zealand.

Further we have considered many ways of enjoying our early retirement and we have both discussed what would happen if one of us is left alone and we have both agreed about disposals in a foreign country.

There is a great deal to consider and we are a lot nearer to having a good idea what to start off with without making too rigid a plan to dictate where and what we do, this may of change. JeffersonCampervan we did like the 24-26ft Tioga or that type, is that small enough without having a "Toad"?

Kindest regards

Ann & Harry

atlantisbird - 2010-01-06 4:37 PM

JeffersonCampervan we did like the 24-26ft Tioga or that type, is that small enough without having a "Toad"?

I'd keep it to 24 ft. max - although the roads in Canada & USA are generally big enough, so that the small Euro RVs aren't as critical.

Type Cs like the Tioga, View, Navion, Aspect etc. are your best bet.

Our Winnebago is just under 22 ft., but we bought it with Europe & Mexico in mind.

Archived