Cold weather warning for diesels

Madmaggott

Here is something from the CC site that may interest motorhomers:

IAM issues ice warning to diesel drivers

Published: 07 January 2010

Motorists who drive a diesel car need to make sure their fuel does not wax over, one organisation has advised.

Low temperatures can cause damage to the fuel filter, the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) said, which can lead to a breakdown.

NeilGreig, IAM head of policy and research, explained that waxing occurswhen crystals form in diesel fuel, although people can take precautionsto make sure this does not happen.

"If you drive a dieselvehicle, it pays to try and park in a garage or sheltered area, and tryto not to leave your vehicle standing unused for too long," hesuggested.

Another option is to make sure the engine bay of thevehicle is facing downwind, so the back of the car is first to be hitby the cold breeze.

The Met Office has recently warned of the growing threat of ice now some of the snow showers have passed.

I remember news of lorries being stranded some years ago in a severe cold spell ('80s?)

If I remember correctly the oil companies put in an additive into the diesel (I think it was simply up to 10% petrol) to reduce this "waxing". I would think they would do domething similar this year - after all lorries and other DERVs keep moving in colder countries during the winter?

If so there may be problems if your motorvan was last refuelled in the summer/autumn using the grade of diesel designed for warmer temperatures.

Clive

Hi,

Someone recently (last few days) said that Shell V-Power is OK down to -20 deg and the normal is OK down to -15 deg, can anyone confirm this.

Anyone using BioDiesel well certainly or Old Chip Oil should becareful in this weather as there could be problems with waxing

But do remember that the fuel companies only add the anti-waxing agent when the temperature starts to fall so if you filled up in the summer or autumn then your fuel may not have any anti-waxing agent in it at all.

You need to have filled up a couple of times during a cold spell to ensure that summer fuel is diluted with sufficient winter fuel to be effective.

This won't be a problem for your average motorist or white van driver but may be for a motorhome. We haven't filled ours up since October/November so will still be full of summer fuel.

Keith.

I started our engine today to go for fortnightly spin. Started first time but cut out after about a minute. Would not restart and warning light suggested "supply/ignition" problem. Temp here was about minus 12 overnight. Last fuelled up about October. Looks like a fuel problem to me.

Arthur

Fuel Manufacturers/Refiners add a Cold Flow Additive (CFPP) to Diesel Fuel for winter use.

They generally start dosing with the Additive in October and end in March, irrespective of weather conditions.

Sorry, I don't know what temperature the Additive is good for or if they increase the dosing level as temperatures fall.

During the bad weather in the late 70s and 80s there were lots of problems with diesel we always added petrol to the lorry tanks but not parrafin as it did not have a tax levy on it so if you were stopped by customs and excise you would be fined for using untaxed fuel it was quite common to see lorry's with a fire burning under the diesel tanks to warm the fuel up to reduce waxing ,another thing you had to do every night was to drain the air tanks off to stop the moisture freezing in the air tanks otherwise the brakes would not work and free off in the morning those were the good old days before global warming no night heaters just a good overcoat and scarf and gloves.

Hubby started out camper today - no problem at all, left it running for a while then manouvred it around the drive a bit to change the 'resting' part of the tyres ... can't wait to be able to get out and use it again ... not been away overnight since September and going stir crazy! 8-)

Archived