waste water outlet

jimscamm

Hi all

As a new user (picked up van last Wednesday and forst trip away brilliant) I have a swift sundance 230g 2005 year and cannot find anything to connect a small length of hose to the outlet.

The outlet is 40mm across and hexagonal in shape but it appears to have an internal thread, but I cannot find any bespoke adaptor fitting for it nor can I find any kind of rubber connector that will fit around it with say a jubilee clip to convert to add the hose and have searched everywhere including Swift.

Anyone got any ideas please

thanjs

http://shop.access-irrigation.co.uk/acatalog/Pump_Accessories.html

have some listed.

or check out supliers using google shopping

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&safe=off&q=1%22+BSP+to+25mm+hose&scoring=p

Another source is to try your local gerden centre who also do ponds and pumps - adapters are used a lot on fountain pumps.

This all assumes of course my guess it is a 1inch BSB male thread you need is correct.

Hope this all helps, Jon.

p.s. forgot to say welcome to the forums and the world of Motorhoming.

As a short term, or even long term solution to this problem, and many like it, can I suggest my must have accesory for all motorhomes.

A six inch length of bicycle innertube, which can be stretched over most outlet pipes etc, and can be used in this case to connect the tap to a suitable length of pipe.

I wouldn't leave home without one.

AGD

We have a Swift Sundance 590Rs 2006, (built in 2005) Don't know your model.( I suppose you mean the waste water tank?) We got a fitting from a plumbers merchant and a large piece of plastic tubing from a local chandlery, which we fitted to it. have not used it very often as have not really found the neccesity for it. If i can't empty the tank easily I usually use a washing up bowl and empty this, . Can ask OH later, if you want to know more.

Sounds like the same outlet I had on an Italian motorhome.

If so there should be a manufacturer's name stamped on the outlet moulding. I Googled this and surprisingly the manufacturer was British with the required fittings on the website. Sorry can't remember the name now - changed van.

Failing that CAK is always a good source of water-related items.

Clive

The waste outlet is usually manoeuvred over a drain grille, or similar, on the ground, and the drain valve opened to drain out the tank contents.

I'm therefore puzzled as to what this bit of hose pipe is for.  It will quickly get dirty, smelly, relatively unpleasant to handle, and will tend to retain some of the drain off water inside to leak out over whatever you store it in.

Is it not possible to manoeuvre the waste outlet of your Sundance over the dump drain, open the valve, let the waste go, so avoiding the need for this hose?

The guy wants a short hose connection, different people do things differently. I can see a short length of hose will save having to line up perfectly. can reach drains further away etc, and not everyone puts really soiled water into their grey tank. Also easy to leave connected with a hose into portable waste tank, seen lots of Motorhomers doing that.

Brambles - 2010-01-27 4:26 PM

The guy wants a short hose connection, different people do things differently. I can see a short length of hose will save having to line up perfectly. can reach drains further away etc, and not everyone puts really soiled water into their grey tank. Also easy to leave connected with a hose into portable waste tank, seen lots of Motorhomers doing that.

Exactly - I sometimes used a Fiamma roll waste on site or placed the hose straight down the hole on a fully-serviced pitch.

On some sites (particularly on the continent) I have found that it's not always easy to park with the outlet directly over the emptying point with a large motorhome - and some of the smaller sites may not have one. Why drive around with a tankfull of waste water?

It only takes a few seconds to rinse out th waste hose before departure.

Each to their own.

Clive

Clive, I have a theory everyone I see using a portable waste tank, or one with wheels, is an ex caravan owner. Am i right or am I wrong? ...just I always sit there on sites and say to my wife -- Ahh, there is an ex caravanner.."how do you know" she asks. I never tell her how I know, but I based it on seeing them with seperate waste and water containers.

So now, blow my throry out the water or confirm! :$

Another potential source for a suitable fitting might be a business selling farming supplies.

I once explored fitting a 2nd drain tap to my Hobby's waste-water tank that has a large-diameter female-threaded 'blind' outlet just crying out to have another tap screwed in. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but a local firm had a range of fittings intended for agricultural irrigation that would have served the purpose even if the result would not have been particularly pretty.

Hi Jim & welcome to the forum

We had a Bessacarr E410 (made by Swifts) on a 56 plate and used a short length of spiral wound PVC hose for the purpose with a male connection to the waste valve.

See http://www.arco.co.uk/products/5303019/16950/Arcoflex_GTD_Lightweight_PVC_Suction_&_Delivery_Hose

various bore sizes, cut to length and depots throughout UK, so there should be one reasonably close to you.

We bought more than required, cut to about 3ft and simply disposed of when it got beyond rinsing out after use.

Brambles - 2010-01-27 5:24 PM

Clive, I have a theory everyone I see using a portable waste tank, or one with wheels, is an ex caravan owner. Am i right or am I wrong? ...just I always sit there on sites and say to my wife -- Ahh, there is an ex caravanner.."how do you know" she asks. I never tell her how I know, but I based it on seeing them with seperate waste and water containers.

So now, blow my throry out the water or confirm! :$

Brambles

Half right - in that I was from 1980-1995 a tugger! But the Aquaroll was god for fresh water and waste (if you could afford it)!.

I aquired the Fiamma tank when I bought an Autosleeper Trident. The external waste tank had to be removed to accommodate an underbody pull-out ramp for a disabled passenger (still pulled the caravan with this VW - best of both worlds!).

I carried and used the roll tank when we eventually moved up (via coachbuilts) to a Mobilvetta Euroyacht. At 7. 4m it was sometimes not that easy manoevring around sites to waste disposal areas - and anyway we often left the van on the pitch for days if in a location with easy access to towns, lakes, sea etc. (tend to go to sites/locations with full disabled services and "wheelchair friendly" towns/locations in France).

At the moment the tank is up in the loft with all the other equipment we can no longer fit into a LWB X/250 coversion.

May one day go back to a larger van - but I think our caravanning days are over.

Clive

Ahhh ahhh! so I am not wrong yet. I did not say those without seperate tanks were never tuggers, just those with are.

I still await to be told by a Motorhomer they use separate tanks but have never towed a caravan. Anyway I like my little theory so I do not want it blown out of the water too quick. :-S

Yes I am one. Never had a caravan but have motorhomed for about 20 years. I find it far more convenient to drain directly into a Fiamma container when on site rather than faff around at the dump point (we have done it). We have the same waste valve as the original letter and modified a hose fitting to be a tight push fit which with a short length of hose drains staight into the container.

Brambles - 2010-01-28 5:44 PM

Darn! my theory has been shot now. Ah well, will just have to find another theory like possibly they have pot plants in the window.

Or can't stop in a motorhome without putting up an awning, windbreak etc

Ahh! now that is a good one - the windbreak, and and a roll out awning WITH side curtains. A true and sole Motorhomer never having a caravan, would never ever, surely, have side curtains on an awning, and would never ever have mat to place his table and chairs.

So theory now is if chairs come out 1st - ex caravaner. If chairs come out last, sole motorhomer.

If they wonder off after arriving to fetch fresh water - ex tugger.

If they empty the cassette loo EVERY day - Ex tugger

If they, and this has to be the ultimate test, wear slippers and not shoes in van (taking off shoes does not count - must change into slippers) they are ex caravanners. A true Motorhomer walks in carrying mud and wet leaves with out a care in the world.

If the TV sits on a table or is mounted low down - ex caravaner.

If TV on bracket high up - Non tugger.

Keithl - 2010-01-28 7:35 PM

And if NO TV then ex-camper!

Keith.

Now thats very good. We have no TV and used to go camping in a tent years ago. We did actually buy a TV especially for the Motorhome but after the 1st summer with it decided we really did not need it and hardly ever watched it. Away 5 weeks and maybe watched it twice.

Too many other things to do like sight seeing, walking, talking to people, and wait for it........playing UNO when stuck inside because of rain.

Jon

I'm an ex caravanner and would never dream of using external tanks with the Motorhome. waste usually needs empting at same time as fresh water needs filling & tanks last 3 to 4 days with both having a shower each day. The most we have stayed in one place in the Motorhome is 4 nights normally it's 1 or 2 so we empty & fill when we move on.

Don't know why we bothered with spending 800 quid or more on the roll out awning only ever used about twice where it's been possible to have it out for more than 10 min without it trying to take of in the wind (yes it's always guyed down).

Archived