Have you ever worn out the tread on your tyres?

Brock

My van is coming up to 5 years old and I will soon be looking to replace the tyres as recommended. Having looked at the tread there is still an awful lot left after 28,000 miles so I am wondering how far I need to travel to reduce the tread down to the legal minimum.

Has anyone replaced their tyres because of the worn tread and if so, at what mileage?

I will be replacing the tyres irrespective of remaining legal tread.

I have known lots of people replace theor front tyres as worn out, some even as low as 8K miles if they drive hard.

Generally though most people replace because of age if they only do a low annual mileage. Tread mileage varies from driver to driver and can vary from as I mention 8K to over 40K if they are careful.

For safety though I would never take them down to the legal limit.

I change tyres at 3mm, anything less than this gives poor grip in wet conditions. In fact during the recent snow, I found that the deeper the tread, the better the grip and that the effect was quite marked.

The legal limit of 1.6mm is really too low for safety these days, as the quantity of oil and rubber dust, mixed with water on the average road surface requires a much deeper tread for safe braking and cornering.

EDIT: Just noticed alan's post above: I have never heard of any such law, what is it? When was it introduced? Is it an MOT fail item?

Hi,

In my days as an impoverished "erk" in the RAF (1962ish) I used to buy remould tyres for my 1959 Minivan ..... on the drip. I think the tyres were £7 each (about my weekly wage - all found), and two tyres were costing me 15 shilling a week each. I was wearing them out faster than I was paying for them. 8-)

Eventualy, I bit the bullet, and bought a set of Michelin X (excellent Mitches), ran them a lot harder than the makers recomended ..... and they never wore our while I had the car.

I wiped the tyres off rear of my Reliant Scimitar GTE in 18,000 miles, but the fronts lasted a further 6000 miles. Mind you, that car could burn rubber from the traffic lights, but I seldom had to brake hard.

I got about three years out of my Land Rover tyres, say 25 - 30,000 miles, but scarcely ever use the brakes until the last few feet.

alan - 2010-01-27 4:46 PM

Hi Remember by law you have to replace tyres every 6 years

Alan

By who's law, Alan's Recommendation Law, as this is a completely new one to me.

Sorry for sarcasm Alan, but I do not know where you heard or read tyres have to be replaced after 6 years by law.

HELP! BIG DAVE NEWALL - WHERE ARE YOU? PLEASE COME TO MY ASSISTANCE!

The majority of vehicle owners wear out tyres well before 6 years and I am sure I am correct in saying tyres have a 6-year life span and require changing.

Alan

alan - 2010-01-27 6:58 PM

The majority of vehicle owners wear out tyres well before 6 years and I am sure I am correct in saying tyres have a 6-year life span and require changing.

Alan

... but you also said it is the law. That is what is being questioned.

It might be advisable, or just a good idea, but I've never heard of it being the law.

:-|

ohgrandma - 2010-01-27 7:47 PM

http://www.2pass.co.uk/tyres.htm

My car is due for an mot next month. I have had 2 tyres fitted since purchasing it new in 2002. but, on reading the above link. I will ask for the other 2 to be fitted. irrespective of how much tread there is on them.

Ria.

You should get good discount as well if you buy four tyres at same time.

alan - 2010-01-27 6:58 PM

Alan

Okay Alan, no need to shout, I'm here :D . I know of no legislation saying that tyres must be changed at 6 years. It is however advisable to have them replaced at a maximum of six years regardless of tread wear.

For general information I regularly see motorhomes with tyres that are six years old and more with anywhere up to 8mm of tread still on them. My advice is always the same, change them and don't forget the spare.

We regularly have customers vehicles in for servicing and arrange an MOT with the garage next door on the same day. Its not unusual for the vehicle to pass the MOT with tyres that are over six years old but I still recommend they be replaced.

D.

Our old Scout was traded in at 11 years old. In that time I replaced just one of the Michelins because of sidewall cracking. The rest were fine. It was just one wheel that always got the sun when she was parked up at home that suffered.

Commercial operators though wear out tyres and frequently re-cut tread when they get low to prolong their life.

Prudence however should always prevail and if in any doubt then change them.

C.

Hi,

There is something in my memory banks about some Europeon MOTs requiring tyres to be changed after a certain age. ????

A firm in the Swansea Valley was selling meaty part worn tyres for £10. The bloke said they got them from Germany (I think) where tyres must be fitted in axle sets. So if one tyre is badly punctured, the other must be scapped too ....... or sent to UK.

W3526602 - 2010-01-28 7:10 AM

A firm in the Swansea Valley was selling meaty part worn tyres for £10. The bloke said they got them from Germany (I think) where tyres must be fitted in axle sets. So if one tyre is badly punctured, the other must be scapped too ....... or sent to UK.

IIRC in Germany you are not allowed to repair a punctured tyre and so it must be replaced (although I'm not sure about axle sets). I bought some part worns a few years ago and was told they came from Germany for this reason. The fitter repaired the puncture with a mushroom patch and then fitted and balanced them.

Keith.

Jon,

Thanks for the tip, re tyres. I had 2 new front tyres about 2 years ago. and haven't done a lot of mileage. so I will just get 2 for the rear,as they are 8 years old now. I am not sure about the spare as it has never been used. I am reluctant to get a new tyre for that.

Ria.

ohgrandma - 2010-01-28 3:31 PM

Jon,

Thanks for the tip, re tyres. I had 2 new front tyres about 2 years ago. and haven't done a lot of mileage. so I will just get 2 for the rear,as they are 8 years old now. I am not sure about the spare as it has never been used. I am reluctant to get a new tyre for that.

Ria.

Hi Ria. Usually when you get two new tyres they should go on the rear and the part worn rear on the front. This is so you always have the better tyres on the rear to improve rear end grip and prevent rear slide out when cornering or braking. When the rear slides out or breaks away(rear end skid) it is very difficult to control if at all in some circumstances.

Also by putting part worn on front of a front wheel drive they will wear quicker and so need replacing sooner and keeps a better balance between the tyres in respect of age.

There will always be arguments better tyres should be on front for drive grip and braking, but that can always be argued as overall not being so safe. If there is little difference in amount of tread the argument loses its strenght, and so I always rotate tyres frequently including the spare.

Then when buting new tyres I keep the best tyre for a spare, and replace all four tyres together, and just rotate those four regularly. Not every one can do themselves and will cost to get a garage to do it unless you are good terms with them.

Your spare. Ok it is 8 years old, but the recommendation is to have the tyres checked thourally at 6 years age and every year after for aging of the rubber with cracks showing and other damage. The accepted advice seems to be because some damage from aging effects are hidden and so should not take chances and replace. My suggestion is your spare should be checked, if it looks ok then keep it as a spare and just that. If you ever need to use, drive carefully and not at high speed and replace back as a spare when puncture is repaired. Treat like one of these emergency type spares you get in so many cars now .

I have rambled on a bit so hope it all makes sense.

Jon.

Archived