Two new tyres..Rear or Front.

Brambles

Two new tyres..Rear or Front.  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thank you to those voted so far to get this ball rolling (or should that be sliding!) I thought I would start the pole because there may be many with an opinion but who do not want to post in discussion threads, so was a sort of anonomous way to have their say.

I have voted, along the officially accepted view, but surely 'opinion' is irrelevant when the powers that be in tests have proved that more effective braking occurs when the new tyres are installed to the rear wheels irrespective of whether the vehicle is front or rear wheel drive?

Bas

Definitely new tyres on the rear, you've only got to watch the video to understand why!

I have actually tried driving a car on a limit handling circuit with the better tyres on the front and all I can say is it was fun, but I wouldn't want to do it on the open road.

Keith.

Light blue touchpaper and stand back.

I would always put best tyres on the front wheels regardless of which were the driven wheels.

The front wheels are always the ones that do the steering, I want them to have the best possible grip, and be the least likely to burst.

Whilst the vehicle is static most of our vans have more weight on the back axle than the front, but under breaking a lot of that weight transfers to the front wheels, I want The best tyres and as much grip as possible.

Whilst I would always put the best tyres on the front, I would also insist that the rear tyres are in really good nick as well, so it probably makes very little difference, and never forget that the spare will be required to be on the front or the rear when you get a puncture so that needs to be as good as the others.

At my last MOT the man said I should look at the tyres, so I had 5 new ones fitted at a cost of less than £250, not much to pay every 4 or 5 years, to keep my £30K van safe on the road.

AGD

Archived