Electric step stuck open Hymer 544 05 plate

Brock

No response from the switch on the dash or the rear. All fuses seem to be working. Sprayed the linkages with WD40, tired wiggling a few wires. Still no joy.

Am I right that I cannot drive the vehicle with the step down?

How can I get the step to retract so I can visit Hymer UK or Hambiltons? It seems a hell of a job to remove it.

Brock - 2010-03-27 5:51 PMNo response from the switch on the dash or the rear. All fuses seem to be working. Sprayed the linkages with WD40, tired wiggling a few wires. Still no joy.Am I right that I cannot drive the vehicle with the step down?How can I get the step to retract so I can visit Hymer UK or Hambiltons? It seems a hell of a job to remove it.

I would be tempted to drive it with the step down rather than risk dismantling it. Obviously you'll exercise great care when passing cyclists and pedestrians depending of course whether your door is on the offside or nearside.

If stopped plead ignorance and say that it must have stuck. Let's face it, if your step fails to retract when on holiday,  you can't be expected to simply sit there and wait for a breakdown service that can fix it, so I wouldn't worry too much about the legalities.

This actually happened to me once in that it didn't retract and I was unaware. I caught it on a bank in a Cornish lane and it made a right mess. The manufacturer was brilliant and accepted that, because the step had developed a fault, which stopped it retracting, that it wouldn't have been damaged if it had retracted. They replaced it free of charge.

Guest Tracker

It is often simply a case of water, dirt and grit getting into the microswitch on the step electrics and if a good but gentle kicking (a la Basil Fawlty style) does not temporarily fix it you may need to go below and remove the rubber cover that should be on said switch and maybe the motor itself with a view to drying and cleaning them.

Do be very careful with tools and fingers because if it suddenly starts the motor is quite powerful and the pantograph type framework (which may also need lubrication?) can remove your finger if it gets trapped.

Leave the ignition switched OFF if you investigate (aka fiddle with it)!

Hi

I had a similar problem a year ago with my previous m/home.

Dirt in works gummed it up - make sure take out fuse before you work on it! It could take off your finger!

I took out fuse then disconnected electrics and took step off to work on - you will find a plan on the web.

Good luck.

Peter

Hi

I had a similar problem a year ago with my previous m/home.

Dirt in works gummed it up - make sure take out fuse before you work on it! It could take off your finger!

I took out fuse then disconnected electrics and took step off to work on - you will find a plan on the web.

Good luck.

Peter

Still not solved the problem. On the upside, my son worked out how to disconnect the step to the motor so we could manually raise the step. This was simply a case of removing the bolt connecting the step to the motor arm, folding up the step, and then using a longer bolt to reconnect to the motor arm.

I can use the van again and will continue to try out your advice - taking care to watch my fingers etc. If I fail, it's booked in for its habitation service at the end of April.

Hymer UK say my step motor is kaput.

I had cleaned all the connections without success. Having taken off the motor cover, I have a stray brown wire which I presume should be in the spade linked to base of the step switch. There is a blue wire that goes into the step switch itself.

Is the brown wire important or is it just linked to the switch so that the alarm goes off when the step is out and the engine running?

Hi

If you google omnistep the web site has plans/exploded diagrams of their products - this might help.

Also - when i repaired mine it ended up cheaper to buy a new step and take out the motor which i needed. I could not do a straight swop as my step was purpose made for the Hobby i had then but i was able to identify a step with the same motor. It was then a case of working the internet to find the cheapist - it was considerable cheaper than trying to get either a spare motor or one from Hobby plus a great deal quicker!

It seemed ridiculous but the price i was quoted for a spare motor was the list price but i purchased a step at a discounted price which was less than the list price of the motor.

Good luck

Peter

I'm sure our problem isn't yours, but another take for other peoples benefit, perhaps. Our Euramobil step has always been a bit iffy, of late I seemed to be able to manipulate the switch, but just as we arrived at Bourg St Maurice it refused to play all holiday. I've always said that it was the switch not anything underneath.

I WAS RIGHT!

There was a microprocessor inside the switch box with one leg gone and another rocky. 89p and a bit of work on his part and it is better than it has ever been.

Archived