alpine holiday

zeddykay

We are planning a visit to the Alps in September and would like to pick your brains as to places that you have visited and enjoyed. We are experienced walkers and like places that are not too busy, but have the basic essentials of a good site, with access to the mountains from the base camp without having to drive ,if possible. We have no preference for , or prejudice against, any country over any other within the Alpine region!

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks for your help.

Hi

Hardly"the Alps" in the broadest sense, but we enjoyed our short stay at Camping Natterer See near Innsbruck back in June. Site reception and toilet facilities etc are excellent, almos 5 star luxury. and pitches vary from basic to 5star as well at different prices. top quality and price pitches have water and waste disposal, satellite tv distribution and hookups 15 Amp. together with great views.

Basic pitches are payable by Camping cheques and you can upgrade by supplement payments if you wish.

Frequent public bus service from site into Innsbruck, (change bus in Natters) runs from carpark outside site.

Access to site-- "interesting route selected by satnav.!!!!" dont blindly follow satnav if it tells you to turn in Gotgens... it will end up in a front garden of a "friendly" german speaking lady who "redirects you " involving 180 degree turn round in her 6 ft wide driveway. The owner "politely informed me" that I should have taken the turning from Neu Gotgens about a mile further on. the " indicate my translation of several yards of high speed German.

Tonyg3nwl

hi

we are going back to interlaken shortlyafter a 5 year gap. you can buy a 6 day ticket that covers local buses trains and 90% of the cable cars. this lets you get up th mountain do a one way walk (andf you can hike for miles if you wish) and take a different route back.

ticket is not cheap at around £100 but we make sure we get our moneysworth.

try the Eiger trail - up close and personal with the north face - wow.

also pay extra on a clear day and go up to the jungfrau -- at 11000 ft the air is defintely thinner but you can walk on the glacier up to a ridge - another wow.

off in 5 days - can't wait.

peter

My own preference would be the French Alps visiting somewhere between Briancon and Grenoble.

Walks from the Col de Croix Fer (hope I've got spelling right) gives great views with relatively easy high level walks from there along the ski tracks. we've only been a short way along some of these but what we saw was spectacular to say the least. The whole area is honeycombed with walking trails with a number of these being available if you 'Google' (sorry, I've lost my links to them). The Michelin guide to the area was helpful to us.

'Archies' should provide plenty of camp sites in the area.

I hope you enjoy yourselves wherever you end up.

As a very broad generalisation. Austria /Switzerland always seems more " user friendly" for trails, summer ski lifts,huts, etc...Andermatt in SWitz and Mayerhofen in Austria spring to mind

France is a bit wilder and less signposted. Barcelonette is great . La Clusaz less high / more tame

Have fun

Sportcamp Woferlgut at Bruck an der Grossglocknerstrasse near Zell am Zee, Austria is (in our opinion) a superb site run by a lovely family and with superb sanitary facilities ( Think 'posh' hotel standard). As the name of the village states it is at the foot of the magnificent Grosslocknerstrasse. You can either drive or get a bus up the toll road to the glacier. Zell is an easy (flat) cycle ride, mainly on a designated traffic free cycle route from the site.

We also like the Natteresee site.

In Switzerland, we liked Camping Oberei at Wilderswil, Interlaken. It is a small friendly family run site. There is a bus site very close to the site and the railway staion is a ten mninute walk. Trains go from there direct to Shinnegge Platte. there are also walks to do from Wilderswil.

For somewhere a little more adventurous, in France near Albertville, climb over the pass Cormet de Roselend between Beaufort (Ah!!, the cheese) and Bourg St Maurice and turn off to Les Chapieux. There's a free parking area, but with a Borne for supply of water and WC disposal. There's also a small 'facilities' with a WC and cold shower. Also a food shop with fresh daily bread and small hotel with Restaurant. The views and walking are sublime. Road from Beaufort is a good climb but reasonable width. From les Chapieux down to Bourg is narrower and best taken at a quiet time of day (we did it during the lunch two-hours).

Another great place is the Camping at La Ferriere, up the valley from Allevard les Bains. The walking is superb, if you like goings upwards and the quiet valley is heavenly. The village has Boulangerie, Post Office and general grocery shop. The site owners are very friendly and welcoming and speek good English. The facilities are first class and exceptionally clean. They even have a small swimming pool. Perfect!!

Have a good trip,

Neil B

Archived