Brownhills

Pickle Pot

I know they often seem to be richly deserving of the criticism they generate, but are all branches of Brownhills equally bad?

I'm finding it next door to impossible to actually track down any of the motorhomes I want to buy at a price I can afford, but they look to have a couple of possibles in at Brownhills Durham and I haven't seen anyone slating them ...

We ordered a new Bessacarr through Brownhills at the NEC in February and are still waiting for it. We have been told it will soon be with us, but no one can give a straight answer why it has taken so long. If we didn't really want this particular van we would have cancelled the order. Luckily we're doing part exchange so have still been able to get away. We are not very impressed with Brownhills though.

bought our first motorhome from Birtley branch and must admit that staff and after sales service were brilliant. Had a look in a couple of weeks ago and the used stock was bordering on rubbish. Could buy a new compass 130 at Tyne Valley Motorhomes for £500 more than a 3yr old 130 at Brownhills which was filthy and looked like it had been hammered.

michele - 2010-08-31 5:42 PM

Pickle Pot ,

What is it you are after ?.

Nothing too complicated really, end lounge, six berth/six belts. New or second hand, around £30k, pref no more than 5 years old - the only real requirement is that it has a seperate shower rather than the "pull the curtain round the sink and try not to stand in the loo" version on the Swift Escape 686, and that it has a fresh water tank closer to 100l rather than the paltry 45l on the Elddis 180.

Chloe2005 - 2010-08-31 9:41 PM

We ordered a new Bessacarr through Brownhills at the NEC in February and are still waiting for it. We have been told it will soon be with us, but no one can give a straight answer why it has taken so long. If we didn't really want this particular van we would have cancelled the order. Luckily we're doing part exchange so have still been able to get away. We are not very impressed with Brownhills though.

Chloe - which Brownhills was that? The Newark one or elsewhere?

first5 - 2010-08-31 10:18 PM

bought our first motorhome from Birtley branch and must admit that staff and after sales service were brilliant. Had a look in a couple of weeks ago and the used stock was bordering on rubbish. Could buy a new compass 130 at Tyne Valley Motorhomes for £500 more than a 3yr old 130 at Brownhills which was filthy and looked like it had been hammered.

The staff at Durham have been very good on the phone today (despite them being short staffed, apparently) - however, those at Preston sounded pretty unimpressive and can't-be-bothered-ish.

michele - 2010-08-31 10:34 PM

Pickle Pot ..I have just the thing for you . My one lol Bessacarr 6 berth . brand new engine right in your price bracket , Hell I will even through in the Air Con Sat Nav and all singing dancing oyster :D

let me know its yours :D

You have a PM :-)

Pickle Pot,

I can only speak as I find and being aware of the criticism of the firm around the country, I have nothing but praise for the team at Birtley.

They were very competetive when we were deciding between a van at Tyne Valley and Brownhills, they won out in the end.

There have been a few warranty issues which they have bent over backwards to sort out quickly for us, so no complaints from us :-D

Ken.

Whilst in the past on this very forum I along with countless others have knocked Brownies something comes to mind (Which I had forgotten about til now) of a problem we had with our first van a couple of years ago..the van in question was an Elddis Autoquest 140 Suntor originally supplied by Brownies in Canterbury I bought it pre owned from Baldwins in Halifax whilst we were down south in Kent I was having a root about in the storage compartments under the seats in the lounge and noticed the water pipe to the fresh water tank was split and leaking so we went to Brownies and asked if it could be fixed..They came up trumps replaced the filler pipe .they said when it had been fitted the pipe was too short and it was coming away from the filler nozzle..No cost to me they said warranty and all that as they had supplied it...Result..and we even got a free cuppa and biccys!!..I understand said Brownies branch in Canterbury is now closed

Our local staff are great - it seems to be the companies ordering policy that is a bit iffy. Other companies have the same van already in stock, so must have bought them in anticipation of sales, whereas it seems that Brownhills maybe wait until they have a number of orders before putting them through to Swift. Perhaps this secures them a better price? Anyway the good news is that the van will be with us next week - yippee!

Hi,

We searched for something similar to yourself and after looking at the 686 and the Elddis 180 we plumbed for a TT 720 (from Brownhills NE who are very helpful) the only problem is delivery....it was due August but still hasn't arrived......

• 3 weeks later...

My Rapido, bought new from Canterbury brach, was my ideal until warranty items needed doing. Nothing too big but serious enough to warrant making good, or the van would not have been used.

After many return trips, most items done, but by trial and error. My error in not putting the fixes to the test before removal from site. One outstanding item needed doing wen Canterbury ceased trading. Now on regular trecks to Newark, where defective items still await fixes, and the van is out of warranty by 5 months.

It occurrs to me that there are individuals on the payroll who ought not be.

Promises made repeatedly by a named person were worthless, causing considerable resentment and hostility from me towards others intervening to sort out problems. I have maintained a formal approach without rudeness, and only until the right man is addressed, does anything appear to get done.

I am still awaiting some fairly major reconstruction work on my Rapido to be carried out at the factory, at their suggestion ,when the van is called. It remains usuable but apprehension is inevitable as agreement to the fix was undertaken in May this year, and subsequent reminders have not realised any firm arrangment for the outstanding work to be done. Watch this space, as if happily effected will sing the praises, but until then, remain a dissatisfied customer of Brownhills.

Guest Peter James

I am wary of these bad reports on Brownhills, because logic sugests that if all dealers had 10% dissatisfied customers then Brownhills would have the most - simply because they are biggest with the most customers.

I can see that some dealers might have to wait longer than others for deliveries of new vehicles if they are bad payers. And there was an episode a couple of years ago when Brownhills went through a name change, (the company name is slightly different to what it was before) was that to frustrate creditors?

But I have seen no evidence that Brownhills customers are waiting longer than average for new vehicles?

I'm still waiting for mine, and it's a used one, that SHOULD have been ready 3 weeks ago ! they had my deposit ! 6 weeks ago, but seem unwilling or unable to get the van ready for collection ? called there yesterday (Sat.) to find out what the problem was,only to find a 'skeleton staff' and the place looking very 'bereft' of stock, should i be worried ??

(b south west) , West Country next door had probably twice the stock.

Just 'cause the sign says they are big doesn't mean they are !

Ray

I am looking for a LHD motorhome and rang Brownhills Newark on the advice of a friend who has bought several from them - they were downright rude on the telephone! Is the LHD market that despised I am having one helluva time searching on sites and magazines who don't have separate sections for LHD's...with the exception of Wells Bridge Motorhomes website who highlight LHD's making is very easy to view - the only ones I have found that do this - I'm exhausted! :-(

theduchess - 2010-09-26 3:03 PM

I am looking for a LHD motorhome and rang Brownhills Newark on the advice of a friend who has bought several from them - they were downright rude on the telephone! Is the LHD market that despised I am having one helluva time searching on sites and magazines who don't have separate sections for LHD's...with the exception of Wells Bridge Motorhomes website who highlight LHD's making is very easy to view - the only ones I have found that do this - I'm exhausted! :-(

Import? http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=MH&lang=en all LH

Good Luck

Dave

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2010-09-26 2:22 PM

I'm still waiting for mine, and it's a used one, that SHOULD have been ready 3 weeks ago ! they had my deposit ! 6 weeks ago, but seem unwilling or unable to get the van ready for collection ? called there yesterday (Sat.) to find out what the problem was,only to find a 'skeleton staff' and the place looking very 'bereft' of stock, should i be worried ??

(b south west) , West Country next door had probably twice the stock.

Just 'cause the sign says they are big doesn't mean they are !

Ray

I live near the Newark Branch and look in several times a year. They say Brownhills Newark is the biggest Motorhome place in Europe and I can't dispute that because its bigger than any other I have seen. Doesn't seem to be a lot of stock there at the moment though, and they have signs up offering to buy Motorhomes for cash. But isn't that what a canny dealer would do - build up stock in the low season, and sell it in the spring & summer when prices are higher?

Archived