RFL on a new registration

kelly58

Am I right in thinking that on a new registration when being taxed you can pay a little extra and have the RFL start say on the date of registration so if a new vehicle was 1st reg say on 25th Sept you could tax it on that date and in effect just before 1st October I hope I am making sense .In other words so as not to lose out with the RFL starting on 1st Sept because the new MH will not be ready until about 25th Sept.

Hi Kelly,

Yes you certainly could a year ago. We bought a new car and collected it on the 23rd July 2009 and the dealer taxed it for 12 months and 2 weeks so it expired on 31st July 2010. He said there was a charge pro-rata to the annual rate for this extra time but did not pass on the charge to us.

Make sure you ask the dealer to do this sooner rather than later as once he has applied for the tax it is too late.

And before anyone asks this only applies to first registrations and not subsequent years even if the vehicle has been un-taxed and declared SORN. In other words if you collect a S/H vehicle on the 25th you will 'lose' most of a month's tax.

Keith.

Archived