Applecross

Chloe2005

Guest Tracker

Yes - many times between 1980 (when Bedford CF brakes were not as good as current brakes and no power steering either!) and 2000 with coachbuilt vans up to 22' long.

No problems - just drive with care - great care!

Fabulous views all the way but especially at the top - when it ain't raining or low cloud!

Guest Tracker
Mickt - 2010-09-02 5:56 PM

Went over last year with a 22 ft van , no problem. That road is easy compared with some in the Alps or Pyranees

.............or Morocco or Northern Norway!

Just watch out for the locals, they don't appear to drive any slower than on the normal roads, and you have to admit it is a bit hairy in places first time over.

Having said that, the views are great, last time we went over there was a huge herd of deer crossing an adjacent mountain, deer as far as the eye could see, a brilliant sight..

Guest Tracker
.............................and on that same road we have occasionally seen an eagle or two and on one occasion even a pine marten crossed the road ahead of us.

hi Dawki,

no probs in yours, have seen tourist coaches go up it!!! although gingerly!!! there are a couple of hairpins but no probs if you judge it so you dont meet summat halfway round the bend :-S plenty of passing places etc, if you click the link given by Keithl you can view it on google earth B-)

as an aside we spent an hour at the junction at the bottom of the pass, and just watched cars etc going up and down (sad i know, but it was actually entertaining)

jonathan

Hi

We have a 7.7m van and have driven the pass, but we went down it! We had to back up on the big hairpin near the top to get round it but that was just poor driving. If you are at all hesitant drive into Applecross from the North and out via the pass of the cattle.

There is a campsite above the Applecross Inn but it can get wet - I have seen a Mini having to drive backwards to get off the grass - though there are a few hard standings. The thing you must do is visit the Applecross Inn for lunch/dinner - superb!

P&L

spospe - 2010-09-02 5:15 PM

Yes, with a Transit based vehicle (Autosleeper Duetto), no problems at all.

Likewise.

Mine was a swb Transit which would go ANYWHERE a car would.....including utter simplicity to park in supermarket parking bays (you won't do that with 6+mtr of motorhome!).

• 2 months later...

We did "The pass of the cattle" to Applecross in a VW Topaz (LWB) and I loved it. Fantastic scenery and the view at the top is to die for. My wife was a bit edgy though! It is the highest bit of adopted road in Gt Britain.

I also recommend the pub for real ale and food.

We also did Hardnott Pass in the VW but never again... At one point, all you could see out of the windscreen was sky!

MOTH - 2010-11-30 4:54 PM

We did "The pass of the cattle" to Applecross in a VW Topaz (LWB) and I loved it. Fantastic scenery and the view at the top is to die for. My wife was a bit edgy though! It is the highest bit of adopted road in Gt Britain.

I also recommend the pub for real ale and food.

We also did Hardnott Pass in the VW but never again... At one point, all you could see out of the windscreen was sky!

I think you will find that the road to Radar Station the summit of Lowther Hill is the highest road in the UK at 725 metres it is the highest road in Scotland – higher than the Bealach na Ba and the Cairnwell Pass.

From the top of the pass looking down when they were constructing Oil Rigs on Loch Kishorn was a view to remember.

Alf

We also done it this year in our Autotrail Cheyenne , no problem ,its not much differant to many places we have gone over in France and places.Met a tour bus at the last tight bend going up and gave him room to get by and what did he do but park for sightseeing so thats the only thing that stood out.

Archived