shurflo pump

gadjo

Hi All

I have a 2008 autotrail cvheyenne 696 with a shurflo pump fitted, just lately the water flow has been a bit pathetic, it's fine when you first turn the tap on when you get an intial spurt but then goes to nearly a dribble.

I was just wondering if there is anything I should be checking or could do to increase the flow???

Cheers

Guest Tracker

The initial spurt is caused by the pump building up pressure in the hose prior to that same pressure activating the 12v cut out and stopping the pump. That it holds that pressure suggests there is nothing wrong with the non return valve(s) at least and that it spurts suggests that the tap is OK!

Look for kinks in the hoses, check the filters on the pump and whilst the hoses are off try and run the pump with the tap disconnected to see if it might be the tap after all?

Also check, if accessible the water pick up in the tank. If you can't blow back down it it might not be blocked as it might have a non return valve - in which case you could give it a good suck to make sure it's clear!

Taps are a whole new ball game with many of the older ones being serviceable and most of the newer ones not - but if with the hose removed at the pump you can blow up it OK it would suggest the tap is OK. I doubt you will easily get to the hose where it attaches to the tap as theses are often assembled from behind before the furniture is fitted into the van!

The hoses on the pump will need to be very secure when refitting as the tiniest of air leak might well be enough to create air ingress problems whilst being too small to let water out. I like to trim the hose and retighten the clips on a new bit of hose if there is enough spare length to allow it. But dont overtighten or you will bust the tap inlet/outlet or filter casing!

Can we assume that you have a charged leisure battery and the pump is getting a good 12v supply?

There should be enough there to keep you going for a while!

Also try cleaning the grit filter on the pump inlet.

On our 2004 AT it is a clear plastic unit screwed directly onto the pump inlet. You have to remove the inlet hose at its quick-fit, unscrew the filter off the pump then it opens up on a bayonet to reveal a very fine gauze mesh which catches any silt or grit from the tank. Simply wash under a running tap and replace.

I clean ours 3 or 4 times a year to maintain a healthy water flow.

The other thing to check is that the system is bled fully and does not have an air lock anywhere, unlikely but possible.

Keith.

Guest Tracker

Always assuming the on board charger is set to charge the leisure battery?

Very often it is plastic swarf and wood dust from the build process that can get into pipes and cause a water blockage at some point - it can lie dormant (or not) for years until Uncle Sodde calls for it to make it's presence felt in support of his Law!

gadjo - 2010-09-03 10:36 AM

Hi All

I have a 2008 autotrail cvheyenne 696 with a shurflo pump fitted, just lately the water flow has been a bit pathetic, it's fine when you first turn the tap on when you get an intial spurt but then goes to nearly a dribble.

I was just wondering if there is anything I should be checking or could do to increase the flow???

Cheers

Check to see if you have an aerator in the end of the tap, they can get clogged or blocked with calcium build up, remove (unscrew) and soak in vinegar.

Peter

Archived