Smell from waste (?) in Autosleeper Executive

LORNA

Hi, hope you can help. This is our first 'season' in our 2005 Autosleeper Executive and we have LOVED it so far. As expected a few teething problems but the more we learn the more we like the motorhoming life! Anyway, just one outstanding niggle: we have a 'smell' of drains which only happens after we have have been on site for a few days, drained the waste water and moved off. We have flushed the waste water tank and bought the chemicals that are supposed to clean it out and used them as directed. The worst smell seems to come from behind the drop down sink in the bathroom. We use the waste water facility very little - we have never showered so far and rarely wash up so there's only a small amount of water from draining veg etc that goes down the sink. Any advice or experiences to share that would help us solve this problem? Many thanks, Lorna

My Hymer has water traps in all waste outlets,similar to standard domestic traps,if these traps dry out any smells in the waste tank can permeate into the van, if this happens [ particularly after driving ] we simply pour a drop of water into the sinks etc. thus remaking the water seal, don't know if your van waste system is the same as Hymer, but would guess that this is your problem.

We used to have an Executive, sorry I swopped it. You have bought a nice van, well repected in the industry and with owners.

Every few months we used to take the sink out (it just slides out) and clean behind and underneath and the drain area. If you want you can put some tank freshener down the plug hole. It doesnt do any harm to put this down the shower drain either.

Try this and repeat it more frequently until you are happy. You can get rid of the smells dont dispair.

Hi, We have a similar problem, but have bought some anti-smell liquid called Tank Fresh. Rather expensive and simply smothers the foul smell with something that smells a bit like dettol. It is supposed to aid breaking down the leftovers in the waste tank, but I am not totally convinced.

I have looked for water traps but without success, and considered modifying plumbing but havent yet seen a suitable configuration. The entry to our waste tank is at the bottom of the tank so unless you empty the tank, the contents should block the return up to the sink hence acting as a kind of water trap.. It still stinks though.

Tank Fresh is so far our best option, but if anyone else has a better solution.....

tonyg3nwl

Try leaving in your plugs.

Also, the more we use our Hymer's waster tank, the less it smells. We rarely shower in our van but we do wash up in there occasionally.

When you clean the waste tank, try leaving the chemical in when driving. This will help slosh it about a bit. Waster gunge can build up in the nooks and crannies of waste tanks.

Forget tank fresh and try adding a cap-full of biological washing liquid (for clothes, not dishes). It's a tip I picked up either here or on another motorhome forum and it works perfectly not only to keep those drainy whiffs away but as a more effective replacement for the expensive blue stuff you put in the cassette loo.

Best tip I ever received, so happy to pass it on with due respect to whoever first suggested it. It's a simple and far cheaper alternative to the 'special' chemicals which don't seem to do much. Oh, and it cleaned and de-limescaled the inside of our bog cassette far better than the proprietory stuff too.

Guest Tracker

A good healthy dose of Tesco value bleach and a gallon or two of water sloshing about in the tank for a few miles will work wonders and be sure to drain it out as soon as you stop before all the gunge gets to settle back in the tank.

Also make sure you flush all the bleach off the sinks as it can stain plastic and corrode stainless steel if left.

Has worked for us for 40 years!

You may also be able to get under the van and reroute the drain hoses so that they have a slight downward loop which can act as a water trap which in turn helps stop nasty niffs from coming back up said hoses.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-05 9:19 AM

I have looked for water traps but without success, and considered modifying plumbing but havent yet seen a suitable configuration. The entry to our waste tank is at the bottom of the tank so unless you empty the tank, the contents should block the return up to the sink hence acting as a kind of water trap.. It still stinks though.

Tank Fresh is so far our best option, but if anyone else has a better solution.....

tonyg3nwl

Tony and all,

If you are suffering with smells then you definitely need to fit the smell traps from CAK Tanks.

They sell 2 kinds. One style are square and fit in vertical hose runs, these require removing periodically to clean them out so need to be somewhere accessible.

The other style fit in horizontal hose runs and have a removable bowl (quarter turn) and these are the kind I have fitted to our AT. I have fitted them under the floor where I can reach underneath the sideskirt to remove the bowls and clean them. I think these are by far the better design for removal to keep clean.

Since we fitted them to the sink and washbasin we have not had any smells so IMO money very well spent.

Forget all your liquids and potions and solve the problem for once and all....

Keith.

Guest pelmetman

Bicarb of Soda, vinegar and boiling water. No horrid chemicals. We wouldn't dream of using nasty chemicals in our home so why in our campervans/caravans.

Sue

Guest Tracker

Not quite Bruce - you can't easily plug a tip up wash basin!

You can plug it but the plug would be out of sight and the risk of forgetting it was there could turn the washroom into a wet room!

Tracker - 2010-09-06 10:49 AM

Not quite Bruce - you can't easily plug a tip up wash basin!

You can plug it but the plug would be out of sight and the risk of forgetting it was there could turn the washroom into a wet room!

Rich

Just add a bit of ribbon or string to waste plug and loop around taps so when you tip up sink so you dont forget next time

If you wipe food waste from crockery with a paper towel before washing up you get less gunge in pipes and tank

Alf

Guest Tracker
If I remember right there is no space to reach in to put the plug in unless you remove the sink bowl first - and who needs that hassle once a week when you wash!

Archived