Norfolkline VIP lounge / First class option

Roamer

Hi all,

Norfolkline (Dover Dunkirk) offer first class travel, priority loading and use of a VIP lounge for £9.60 per person each way (£38.40 extra for the 2 of us). Is it worth considering for crossings (departing approx 10.00 for out and back) on the first and third Thursdays in December?

This is over 50% extra on the fare and as both fares are at the low rate I assume the boat is not likely to be crowded so how do the other facilities rate?

Hi Roamer,

Watch out as priority boarding may not apply to a MH. If you are considering this then check first that you are eligible.

We used to cross regularly from work using Dover Calais with P&O and always booked priority boarding and club class lounge (note this was with cars not MH). It cost £5 for the boarding and £5 each for the lounge and was always (company) money well spent.

The biggest advantage of the priority boarding was that not only did you board first but you then got off first and had a clear run through customs and out of the port.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental

depends on how busy crossing is...this summer going out was fine but the return was like a refugee ship :-S A horrible 2.5 hour crossing. Not sure if you can upgrade on board.

had a hard drive up to catch boat, and really wanted to sleep for a bit (brought my pillow*-)) but it was packed.

going out was midweek which was fine, return was a weekend so awful....

If memory serves, the last time we used Norfolk line a good few years ago, we'd booked it via the Caravan Club at which time they were giving free VIP lounge access for 1 person (!), this meant free access to the lounge (nothint to write home about), the daily newspapers, drinks, danish pastries, fruit etc (they were early morning crossings). I went in and 'acquired' some pastries for us both, I was the only person in there as it were very few people on board! On our return crossing the steward realised that only one of us had the 'free' access so, as no one else was in there and the food etc was laid out anyway, he let both of us in. :-D

Would I pay for it? No. Unless you want to read the newspapers, and devour drinks and pastries etc, it's a lot of money to pay for a seat. If you get your act together and get out of your vehicle immediately upon driving on the ferry and shoot up the stairs, you can always get a good seat somewhere.

First class travel on a ferry to me would mean being able to stay in my van for the crossing as you are allowed to do on Minoan Line Ferries to Greece, but I know that will never happen on cross channel Ferries . all I want to do on a Ferry is get on and off the other end as quickly as possible that's why I like the Sea France crossing, just time for a couple of games of cards and maybe a cup of mediocre coffee and off.I would not want to pay any extra for so called first class.

You were conned Mel. We've used Norfolkline via CC a couple of times, and both times been given passes to the lounge for the pair of us.

It's gone downhill. Time was you got free pastries and a range of soft drinks. Now it's tea/coffee only, and you've got to pay for the food.

However, as others have said, it's worth it to get away from the hordes when it's busy.

Thanks for the responces, I have used the VIP lounge on the Stana line fast crossing to Holland a few years ago but that was only a small percentage addition to the fare. I don't think I will be doing so on Norfolkline and that way will avoid "Michele and all the kids!".

Archived