Moles...again!

J9withdogs

They're back...little blighters. Digging up my lawn and making craters to twist my ankle in.

I was lucky last time and killed one in an old scissor-type trap but I had to wait until I could track the runs.

Other than a shotgun as per Jasper Carrot, has anyone got any methods for getting rid of them?

Someone's mentioned diesel down the holes..anyone tried it?

Diesel down the holes will kill the grass for weeks to come.

You might try children's toy windmills with the stick stuck down the holes?

I've never tried it but allegedly the moles don't like the vibration when the wind blows - not that I would expect a lady like wot you are to understand anything about vibrations - although I expect you know all about wind blowing!

Guest pelmetman

As we are both very keen gardeners and Dave absolutely loves his lawns, (possibly more than our camper) moles are a no no.

However, our last two properties have had the little blighters. But we would never ever dream of killing them, they have as much right to live as we do. One option is to get up really early and watch for the soil to start moving - creep up on them with a bucket and WAIT. Once the little darlings come onto the surface quickly shove the bucket underneath them, once in they can't climb out. We then take them out for a drive and let them loose.

Secondly buy a mole deterrent, its operated on a battery which you stick in the lawn, think its something to do with the buzzing noise it emits that deters the mole. It really has worked for us here.

Sue

Hi Janine,

We often get plagued by Moles ,We have these in the centre of the Lawn/Grassed are and put the scissor type traps around the edges,the Solar repellers do work as we never get moles within 30ft of them,there is a tablet form of poison ,but I think its restricted,and I wouldnt use it with having a dog, have a look here, (http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/advanced-solar-mole-repeller-p-1711.html?cPath=104&source=googleads&gclid=CP-FupK9_aMCFcEB4wodO1BeHg )Hope its of some help

Hi Janine,

We often get plagued by Moles ,We have these in the centre of the Lawn/Grassed are and put the scissor type traps around the edges,the Solar repellers do work as we never get moles within 30ft of them,there is a tablet form of poison ,but I think its restricted,and I wouldnt use it with having a dog, have a look here, (http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/advanced-solar-mole-repeller-p-1711.html?cPath=104&source=googleads&gclid=CP-FupK9_aMCFcEB4wodO1BeHg )Hope its of some help....................also try http://www.redsave.com/products/solar-mole-repeller?GCID=S30784x034&keyword=mole%20repellers

Tricky things yer mole. Try putting a hose on your exhaust pipe and sticking the free end down the run. The carbon monoxide will see em right. Obviously, it has to be a petrol engine and not a diesel.

Worth remembering  that tip if life becomes unbearable.

Hi Janine,

We used to have a continuous problem with moles, having tried two types of traps, poison tablets and flooding with water. Then we discovered EXPLOSIVES. We can buy a small device to which it is necessary to attach a small explosive charge which looks like a "banger" with two wires coming out. The above ground device is fitter with a battery (PP3 size) and the two wires are connected to + and - terminals on this device. When the mole pushes the soil against a sensor poked down the hole into the run then the device is triggered and the mole is no more.

Our dog has never touched the device and we don't have children to have to watch out for.

J

eljay - 2010-09-10 9:01 PM Hi Janine, We used to have a continuous problem with moles, having tried two types of traps, poison tablets and flooding with water. Then we discovered EXPLOSIVES. We can buy a small device to which it is necessary to attach a small explosive charge which looks like a "banger" with two wires coming out. The above ground device is fitter with a battery (PP3 size) and the two wires are connected to + and - terminals on this device. When the mole pushes the soil against a sensor poked down the hole into the run then the device is triggered and the mole is no more. Our dog has never touched the device and we don't have children to have to watch out for. J

If you go down this route Janine, can I suggest that you get an adult (man) to set the equipment up ?

we were plaqued with moles at a previous house

except whne the rabbits moved in

the only effective way to get rid was call the local expert as soon as the first hill appeared

current house has much less land / closer neighbours

so this time we tried burying sonar alarms

touch wood has worked

hope this post / claim doesn't put the mockers on the whole thing and the little whatsits comes back

funny - not noticed prevalence of cats in neighbourhood has caused any reduction in presence of other pests / vermin

like squirrels / pigeons / rats

just spuggies, woodpeckers and blackbirds

Mel B - 2010-09-10 9:38 PM Don't got giving Janine any more ideas of how to 'entice' men over to her house!!!! She's bad enough on campsites with her 'damsel in distress' act!!! :D

I was thinking that women and explosives just 'won't work' Mel. Yer average women is ok with hoovering, dusting and such, explosives ?........!

J9withdogs - 2010-09-10 10:12 PM

bob b - 2010-09-10 9:45 PM

I was thinking that women and explosives just 'won't work' Mel. Yer average women is ok with hoovering, dusting and such, explosives ?........!

Hmmmm.....I'm a trained firearms officer..but I do my own hoovering too

(lol)

Score Jannine 1--Bob NIL

.but I do my own hoovering too

(lol)

...................once a year - whether it needs it or not?

Why not stick the hoover tube down t'mole 'ole and give the little darlings a good bit of suction?

bob b - 2010-09-10 9:45 PM

Hmmmm.....I'm a trained firearms officer..but I do my own hoovering too

(lol)

So many questions......

So, why can you only use trained firearms then?

What about wild firearms? Or baby firearms that haven't yet been trained?

How do you know when a firearm has been trained?

And why can you only use those trained firearms when you are hoovering too?

OK - Maybe you could train the moles to use little firearms.....they might then shoot each other?

Guest JudgeMental

Good eating apparetly! like squirrel but smaller.

Hey! if it was good enough for Elvis (squirrel his favorite dish) its good enough for me.....Free protein dont knock it! :D

Somehow I think that Elvis had to eat squirrel out of necessity at a kid, so maybe it reminded him of home and that's why he liked it so much. Same reason why I have a taste for home-made dripping (not the crappy stuff you get in shops).

Just be grateful that you aren't in such a situation that you HAVE to eat it (squirrels or dripping!). :D

Just hope the moles don't become whistle blowers then Dave or you will not only have molehills but musical accompanyment all night - now there's a thought!

Guest pelmetman

I am probably tempting fate by posting this picture of my mole free lawn :$

When we came here we bought some more land............and with it came free moles >:-(

But we got a sonic repellant and the first day there were mole hills all round it! I thought I had one that sent out a mating call by misstake (lol)

But since then they have stayed clear of the lawn, they are still around in the veg bed, but I don't mind that as they help keep the worms off my spuds B-)

810889942_011(2)web.jpg.b59ecdcab2948d30a5066e19f06de74c.jpg

Archived