I've taken the plunge, now what do I do?

stillthinkingaboutit

Surely the supplying dealer will include the things you need to survive - or at least give you a list - plus a discount from their own accessory shop?

Gas bottle, water hose, toilet chemicals, are the main ones, with a mains hook up lead for the softer campers amongst us who cannot live without a hair dryer or electric kettle!

Welcome to the 'gang'! :-D

First piece of advice is do NOT buy the household type stuff from the dealers (plates, bowls, kettle etc) as they are usually much more expensive than anywhere else! As for hose, a good garden hose is perfectly acceptable - some people do get a bit 'precious' about not using a purely food-grade hose but we, and many others, are still alive and kicking after many years of using a normal garden hose without any problems. :D )

Toilet chemicals - I think some people use 'cheap' eco-friendly washing liquid/powder from the cheap shops (Lidl/Netto/Aldi) in their toilet cassette, and it appears to work ... we've used this in our waste water tank to prevent nasty niffs and it definitely works.

Gas bottle (Calor) - try your local paper, or 'freecycle' site to get a second-hand one, after all as soon as you want it filling, you'll exchange it anyway so no point in paying £29.99 for a rental agreement for a nice new one that you won't keep anyway!

Some of the cheap shops such as Poundstretcher, A-Z, Wilkinsons etc have utensils, pots, pans etc (as well as some of the larger supermarkets that have 'discount' ranges) which are particularly well suited to motorhomes as the pan sets especailly tend to be a little bit smaller and lighter than a more espensive set that you'd use in your home, but are just as servicable. You'll also find at the moment that a lot are selling off their summer garden crocker ranges so you should be able to pick up plastic tumblers etc very cheaply now.

Bedding etc - use your normal home stuff unless you want sleeping bags, but again, a lot of places will be selling off their summer stock so you should pick some up.

Electric lead - your dealer really should give you one of these, for the cost of them, it's very mean if they don't.

Charity shops and car boot sales can produce virtually everything you'll need for 'living' in the van - it's amazing what people buy and then don't use - at car boot sales especially you can pick up things very cheaply.

Enjoy your new toy! :->

Just to add - if you need to buy Gas Bottles, it's preferable to get Propane (red cylinders) instead of Butane (blue cylinders) if you want to ensure your gas works in low temeratures.

Normally very little difference in cost.

Check van details for Gas Locker cylinder size capacity.

And you might want to buy some rolls of that rubber mesh stuff for placing in between things that will rattle, pans plates cups etc; I myself have bubble wrap to stop the rattles on the top of the cooker, and I store my pans which consist of 1 frying pan a stainless steel steamer and saucepan and a couple of baking trays in the cooker compartment on the floor.

If you havent got duel heating gas/electric I have a small two bar halogen electric heater that I use when on hookup, you might as well, saves gas and your paying enough for elec; on sites. I use a kettle that I can use on the gas if not on hookup or the electric ring on my hob that saves taking two.

Mel has given you good advise on utensils when you are starting from scratch you need so many thing plates/bowls/cups or mugs in our case!/knives forks spoons, you can replace with better ones as you find them, oh and dont forget tin opener/bottle opener etc;

Happy Motorhoming. :-D

Yep,as Martyn has said..

Get them to connect the gas up and fill the water system so that they can actually show you the appliances/gauges/switches etc all working!!

..DON'T be fobbed off with them just aimlessly pointing at the knobs,whilst muttering what they should be for! >:-(

Also,I don't know how far you are from the dealer but personally,I'd want any faults put right BEFORE the money is handed over/vehicle collected!

The "..just pop back in if theres's anything wrong.." line is not good enough to my mind.

To many dealers use us customers to do theri PDIs for them!..and they bank on a lot of people just fixing things themselves...

I'd also be asking for a hookup lead and loo chemicals to be thrown in(..if I was a dealer,I'd be including them or at least expect to be asked for them).

When you turn up for your handover to pick up the van ,take a notebook and pen with you it should take the dealer at least 2 hours to explain how every thing works!, you or your wife should make notes ,don,t be afraid to ask several times how things work , because your head will be filled with so much info that as soon as your on your own on site you will have forgotten all that you have been told , but help is at hand ask around you , someone will always helpout (GOOD LUCK!) (lol)

Good point about the water tank ,check that the dealer has actually filled the tank with water ,first time out for me water leaking from fresh water tank! they had not filled with water or tested it ,so 80 mile trip to dealer to fix.

Not a good start , so beware after taking your hard earned cash some are still slipshod and tell porky,s

:D

And don't forget to check the service history of the base vehicle.

If it's due a service ask for the dealer to get it done (at his expense of course) before collection. Also if it's due for a cam belt change or similar then ask him to get it done again at his expense.

How much MOT is remaining? If only a short time then ask him to get it retested.

Is the dealer offering a warranty? If so check the time limit and small print very carefully as they're often not worth the paper they're written on!

Most importantly of all remember that any MH will deteriorate if not used so get out and enjoy it regularly!

Keith.

As well as what has been said above you should also take a torch with you too.

Damp: stick your head in all the cupboards, lockers etc and have a good sniff, use a torch to see corners/top of cupboard etc to check for signs of water ingress/damp, also look round the roof lights and windows and wherever there is an 'aperture' through the body or roof (ie aerial/cooker/fire/fridge vents). See if you can get them to let you have a look at the roof to make sure there's no damage on there, as well as no 'bodges' where stuff has been removed by previous owners.

Body: have a good walk round the van, looking at the sides/back/front from different angles as well as stood up, crouching, and see if you can spot signs of damage/repair. Same goes for the 'seams' (where the sides/roof/rear etc joins), check how well it is sealed - I assume the van is 6-7 years old at least so you need to look at them closely as, depending on its previous life, some may now need replacing.

Fixtures and Fittings: open every cupboard, drawer, seat box, hatch etc and check inside, make sure everything opens easily and nothing has been 'bodged' (you'd be surprised what a previous owner could have done to be able to trade it in!); do all the catches work as they should. If the carpet has been replaced, see if you can get underneath it and check the floor (it might be removable anyway). Walk round inside the 'van a few times and see if you can detect any 'give' or creaks in the floor which may indicate delamination. Open all the windows and make sure they stay 'open' on their stays, same goes for the roof lights - basically anything and everything you can.

Furnishings: are extra cushions needed for making up the lounge bed - if so check all the bits are there and make it up (even if you never intend to use it, you need to make sure it IS usable for when you come to sell it in the future). Whilst you're at it have a good look at the rear of the seat cushions to see if the material is starting to wear along the seams or the foam has gone soft. Also check all the blinds/curtains are okay too, not forgetting the main bed mattress and 'boudoir curtaining'!

Bathroom: Have a good shuftie in there - is the shower tray okay with no sign of cracking, is there any 'fresh' sealant ... if so, it could indicate that there has been leakage which has been 'covered up'.

Once again, thanks for the excellent advice. The MH is from Davan Caravans in Weston-super-mare, has anyone had any dealings? Also the only thing I noticed was the wing mirror casing was covered with gaffer tape. When I pointed this out the salesman didn't appear that interested in sorting it, he just reckoned in "the casing may be split". Big deal or not?

Yep,definately get them to sort that,before you settle up with them...

..and don't forget,that in a lot of cases,especially where MHs are concerned,it's not just the money involved in putting things right that's the issue..but the TIME spent b*ggerin about,telephoning,chasing up/waiting for parts etc! >:-(

..so get as much done as you can BEFORE you part with your money!

We obtained our Calor gas cylinders from the local refuse dump (City of Cardiff). I asked for a propane cylinder and they had several hidden behind their tea shed! All they wanted was a donation for their tea fund - so I gave them £5. There was even some gas in the cylinder and no problem exchanging the cylinder at the Calor gas dealer when I needed to renew it.

Roger. We went through the same exercise in June when we bought our MH. I produced a comprehensive list of things to check when we picked it up and before we handed over our hard-earned cash. We've had no nasty surprises as a result.

The list also includes "domestic" items to leave on-board for trips away and other items to gather up and put on-board at the last minute.

The list is in Excel form. Send me a PM if you wish or email me and I'll attach it to a reply.

The absolute minimum that the dealer should come up with (besides a guided tour of the van) is an engine service, MOT, habitation check, valet, and a "starter pack" of new hook-up lead, new fill-up hose, gas cylinder with new flex hose & regulator plus some toilet chemicals and general cleaning gear. They may also throw in some levelling wedges and some Tax if you're lucky!

Happy Motorhoming - Dave S

With regards to the wing mirror phone them before you collect to say you want it mended / replaced do not leave it till you get there.

Has anyone mentioned a battery? just know you need one.

I would fill the van from the home as much as you can to start and slowly buy through out the years, it is nice to have a purpose at shows ect.

Do not be afraid to ask those seemingly silly questions and playing dumb if you do not quite understand things......we still do not quite understand the keyfob for the alarm and have been told twice.

Also make sure you know how to use any entertainment equipment and any other extra gadjets that you might have been left by the previous owner including the windout awning if you have one. Make sure they are complete and remotes, poles or leads are not missing.

Do not feel presurised and take your time.

Above all do not trust them!!!!!!!!!! and think they are your friend they are only after your money.

You are going to have a great time in your van.

Enjoy the world is your oyster.

Archived