Catalytic Converter Theft

AlanYoung

Mel B - 2010-10-26 7:52 PM

Eh??????? 8-)

How does that work then ... i thought the CAT 'reduced' the readings! Is it illegal to remove it? :-S

Hi Mel,

On diesels the "CAT" is actually a "diesel particulate filter" and is not a requirement for the MOT, on the last 2 MOT's the examiners commented on my lack of filter and both asked if I had noticed improved performance/power (which I had). Also the emissions were lower than the previous year.

It is worth doing some research to see if your vehicle can be easily done, mine cost me £90 for a through pipe in stainless steel to be fitted in place of the filter. However some people simply remove the filter, poke out the innards and replace it so that it looks complete, I prefer my method because I can easily re-fit it if needed and it's not visible to thieves as it's in my garage!

I hope that clears things up,

Rob

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob,

I stand to be corrected by anyone more in the know than myself but I'm afraid you're very wrong with your statement...

Kerunk - 2010-10-27 6:33 P

On diesels the "CAT" is actually a "diesel particulate filter"

Rob

Compare these two Wiki articles firstly on Catalytic converters and then on Diesel particulate filters and you'll see that they are not the same thing.

As for removing one from a vehicle then I'm very surprised if you can get an MOT pass after one has been removed.

Also the 'backpressure' of the exhaust on the engine will be totally wrong and may cause serious long term damage to the engine.

I for one would never suggest or personally remove a catalyst or DPF from a vehicle.

Keith.

Back pressure in exhaust systems !!. Maybe I am old fashioned, but surely for an engine to be reliable and efficient it needs to get rid of its exhaust gases as quickly as possible and with minimum back pressure. IMO , all of these exhaust add on gizmo's have nothing to do with engine efficiency, but are there just for ecological reasons. :-D

Brian B.

Archived