fit my own awning

chrisallys

Hi Chris,

Is your DIY MH based on a panel van or what base vehicle as this will help us to give you the right answer.

Wind out awnings are available with kits to fit a lot of panel vans and high roof conversions so any additional info you can give will help.

Fiamma and Omnistor are 2 of the most popular makes, Google them and you will find lots of dealers and fitting kits available on line.

Keith.

Awnings are a lot heavier than many folks imagine and you may need two or even three people to ensure correct alignment and hole spacing whilst avoiding damage to the side of the van.

I have never had the nerve to drill the holes to fit a new one but I have taken one off to repair it once and whilst it was not technically difficult it ws nerve wracking!

Our last three 'vans have all had windout awnings fitted to 'em...and athough they're handy,they're not all that sturdy to be honest(..and quite expensive for what is really just a sunshade).

Have you thought of just fitting a decent awning rail(the U channel,not the J section)that way you use a simple tarp-canopy (..or even a little porch awning if you were on a site)..?

We use one of these:

http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/caravan-awnings/sun-canopies/outdoor-revolution-easi-canopy-2009.html

Chris

Hi Chris

The solution by Pepe, certainly looks a quick & easy option.

If you are wanting a "fixed" awning, Fiamma & Omnistor

www.fiammastore.com/ & www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/

are the most recognised makes.

But an expensive solution for what I understand your requirement to be they are also heavy (c45kg as a guide) and definately a 2 man job.

Fiamma also do a "Caravanstore" which may be suitable if you don't want to store it IN the Van, see:-

www.fiammastore.com/Caravan-Awnings-by-Fiamma/Fiamma-Caravanstore-Caravan-Awning-Canopy

Guest JudgeMental

You know this makes sense.....saving about 45Kg on a windout and a good bit of money. If there was a rail that could be attached permanently to panel van gutter to take it, I would consider one of these I think......

Most caravan/motorhome spares outlets will sell the packs of awning rail but they're usually in 3-4 1mtr sections and it can look a bit..well.."bitty"..but as they were only about £15,these were what I used when I fitted a rail(via an aluminium angle) to the underside of our previous Fiamma awning.

If I was going to fix it directly to the side of the van,I'd be sourcing a full length...

The likes of O'Leary's sell full lengths of the type which take the plastic bead insert that covers the fixings..far neater...

(..it may of cause be worth asking about full lengths at your local caravan spares/repair shop,as they may stock some for their own use..)

Chris

Archived