Window screens

1violet

Hi, I need to get screens for my van and having researched a bit it seems that the silver internal ones are good for insulating but if you want to minimise the risk of condensation you need to get ones that fit outside the windows. Do people agree with that and are both needed?

Also is it okay to get universal ones or is it best to get vehicle specific ones?

Any good suppliers anyone can recommend?

Thanks for reading.

violet

HI,

I use external screens vehicle specific mine are made by silver screens, I use the screens both winter and summer and would not be without them, they keep us cosy in the winter and cool in the summer no condensation in the cab and keeps the winnscreen clean.

Down side to external ones are that in inclement weather putting them away can be a pain , I put mine in the shower cubicle so its not a problem. Mine the paramount model for my X250 fiat cost around £130.00 Siverscreens phone No 01274 872151 or www.silverscreens.co.uk. good hunting

regards Geoff

Guest JudgeMental
we have the tailor made on our Ford and they ar excellent! But as we are changing to a panel van, there is no way! as they are very bulky......

Hi Violet,

Our MH came with a set of Van Comfort Internal screens and we find them more than satisfactory for our needs.

On the odd occasions we get condensation in the morning all I do is mop it up with a synthetic chamois cloth and the glass soon dries. I personally would much rather do this than have to put away wet exterior screens. I know others say they put exterior screens in the shower to dry but we use our shower more as a wardrobe for coats, etc, and would not want to put wet screens in there as well.

Like most things with MH's it's what suits you and there is no right or wrong to either way.

Keith.

Hi violet

Our motorhome came with the insulated silver screens for the door windows & Remis blind for the front windscreen.

Both are ideal for Summer use, but when the temperature drops we get condensation on the door windows in the mornings.

i.e last week Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday mornings = no condensation on any windows. Overnight Temperatures c8-10degC

Friday morning alot cooler = condensation on the door windows , but not windscreen. Overnight temperature c 5degC

It has to be really cold for us to get condensation on the windscreen.

On previous Van we had an external screen and only encountered condensation in conditions below 2/3degC.

My problem with external screens was that we more often used them in low temperatures with associated Rain & I frequently got wet getting them Off.

Hi 1 Voilet You don,t say what your van is never mind may I suggest you look on the caravan club site (members for sale items) you may well pick up a second hand set (I did recently silver screens) seller had changed their van saved myself £40 over the cost of new ones if you go on cc site be prepared to do a long trawl as there are something like 50 pages but its worth it you might also pick up something else you had,nt thought of.

You could also trie a site called "Preloved" I recently sold my trailer through this sitr.

Regards

Richard

mylandrose - 2010-10-02 6:13 PM

Hi 1 Voilet You don,t say what your van is never mind may I suggest you look on the caravan club site (members for sale items) you may well pick up a second hand set (I did recently silver screens) seller had changed their van saved myself £40 over the cost of new ones if you go on cc site be prepared to do a long trawl as there are something like 50 pages but its worth it you might also pick up something else you had,nt thought of.

You could also trie a site called "Preloved" I recently sold my trailer through this sitr.

Regards

Richard

Likewise try the classifieds on this site.

Some earlier recent related comments on

HTTP://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21093&posts=9

I suspect, from my own experience and other forum members comments, that formation of condensation is very much affected by motorhome design and usage. If you choose (and are able) to keep the vehicle's interior really warm, or you can properly seal the vehicle's cab from the living/sleeping area, then you won't have much trouble keeping condensation at bay. Otherwise, unless you use insulated external screens, you'll have to learn to live with it.

(Regarding Tracker's question on the earlier thread about whether or not Rain-X on the inside of the cab windows/windscreen is effective. Not sure about how to answer, particularly as, once you've put Rain-X on the glass, it's not so easy to get it off to test its before-and-after merits. I think it SHOULD reduce the tendency for condensation to form and it SEEMS to make removing the condensation that does form easier. Where it can come into its own is on the exterior of the cab side-windows as, on my MK 6 Transit-based Hobby, heavy rain pours off the windscreen and across the side-windows, obscuring the view into the mirrors. When this happens, the Rain-X causes the rainwater on the side windows to disperse very rapidly, driven off by the 'slipstream' blowing across the glass.)

Guest Tracker

Thanks Derek.

As I understand it, condensation forming is all about temperature differentials on two side of the glass and inside humidity levels.

I wondered therefore whether RainX can actually reduce the ammount of condensation that forms on the window or whether by maybe making the water run off to the bottom of the screen it makes it seem as if there is less?

Water puddling at the bottom of the screen could be of concern where perchance it might cause other mischief with water damage to trim or electrics?

Keeping side windows and mirrors clear is a good enough reason to use RainX in my view as good visibility is crucial to keeping the van intact!

Hi, I have external screens which extend down over the open grills on the bonnet and therefore deflect water over the bonnet instead of letting it go down over the engine etc. These are used when parked up at home. As they are very bulky, I dont take them away, but instead I have cut a piece of bubble wrap to suit the windscreen shape and attach it by trapping the edges in the doors and under the windscreen wipers. On the inside I use the blind and internal screens on the doors.. The bubble wrap is wrapped up into a small roll and stowed behind seat for travelling. I have found this to help very well in reducing screen condensation in the cold.

tonyg3nwl

Tracker - 2010-10-05 1:16 PM

...I wondered therefore whether RainX can actually reduce the ammount of condensation that forms on the window or whether by maybe making the water run off to the bottom of the screen it makes it seem as if there is less?...

Rain-X probably doesn't reduce the amount of condensation, but it does seem to make it easier wiping what forms off and, if you can ventilate the cab area (eg. open the cab doors or run the windcreen demister fan), it does help the condensation to evaporate off the glass.

The condensation seems to stay on the glass happily enough, but you have to be quick when wiping it off the windscreen as, as soon as you begin to wipe, the condensation will start to run down the glass. Presumably surface tension (or magic) keeps the water on the glass until the tension is broken.

Logically, one would try an anti-mist compound (eg. Rain-X "Anti Fog") rather than a rain-repellant. But I hadn't got any and I've a sneaking suspicion it's much the same product anyway.

(If you are interested, there are reviews of rain repellants and anti-mist products on the AutoExpress website. GOOGLE-ing on "auto express rain" should do it.)

Hi Violet,

I use an external Taylor-made screen on my Trannie, I use the MH all year round and never get any condensation on the windscreen. If it's windy the side window covering can flap a bit and there might be some on what used to be called the quarterlights (lol)

The above is not very interesting; but the reason for my post is to point out that external screens offer complete privacy when fully closed. So much so that we removed the curtain and track from our cab, giving acres more space for lounging in the cab/dining area.

In the winter we also use a large silver sun-blind (Halfords jobbie), which seems to keep the cab area a bit warmer, but don't ask me for any technical explanation for this!

Like other posters say - chuck it in the shower if it's wet and hang it over the bonnet when you get home - dries in minutes :D

oldlowie - 2010-10-07 10:40 AM

If it's windy the side window covering can flap a bit and there might be some on what used to be called the quarterlights (lol)

Just to say that Taylor Made Screens now have a magnetic & Velcro fixings (and probably could be purchased seperately ?) that go a great way to reduce wind flapping :-)

Rgds

Derek Uzzell - 2010-10-07 10:17 AM

Logically, one would try an anti-mist compound (eg. Rain-X "Anti Fog") rather than a rain-repellant. But I hadn't got any and I've a sneaking suspicion it's much the same product anyway.

Rain-X "Anti Fog" works well on the washroom mirror in the m/home on a cold morning and hot shaving water (so the wife tells me :D )

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2010-10-07 8:00 PM

oldlowie - 2010-10-07 10:40 AM

If it's windy the side window covering can flap a bit and there might be some on what used to be called the quarterlights (lol)

Just to say that Taylor Made Screens now have a magnetic & Velcro fixings (and probably could be purchased seperately ?) that go a great way to reduce wind flapping :-)

Rgds

Tony - I will have a word with Taylor-made at Shepton Mallet in January.

Thanks for the tip (lol) :-D (lol) :-D

Tracker - 2010-10-07 10:20 AM

Does the effect last longer when used on the inside - or is three weeks about it?

Dunno.

We don't use our motorhome very often - usually taking just three, maybe four, fortnight-long breaks in France per year, and I always re-treat the inner cab-glass and the outside of the cab side-windows each time before we go.

You'll note from the AutoExpress piece that there's another, more expensive, product called "Enduroshield" that's supposed to avoid the potential problems of traditional rain repellents when used on the outer surface of the windscreen and is supposed to have a longer-lasting effect.

(Rain-X's manufacturer advises against using it on plastic surfaces, so there's a need for care when treating mirrors in motorhomes as they are often not made of glass. I suspect that Rain-X's "Anti Fog" protect may also be unsuitable for use on plastic mirrors.)

Derek Uzzell - 2010-10-08 9:57 AM

Tracker - 2010-10-07 10:20 AM

Does the effect last longer when used on the inside - or is three weeks about it?

Dunno.

We don't use our motorhome very often - usually taking just three, maybe four, fortnight-long breaks in France per year, and I always re-treat the inner cab-glass and the outside of the cab side-windows each time before we go.

You'll note from the AutoExpress piece that there's another, more expensive, product called "Enduroshield" that's supposed to avoid the potential problems of traditional rain repellents when used on the outer surface of the windscreen and is supposed to have a longer-lasting effect.

(Rain-X's manufacturer advises against using it on plastic surfaces, so there's a need for care when treating mirrors in motorhomes as they are often not made of glass. I suspect that Rain-X's "Anti Fog" protect may also be unsuitable for use on plastic mirrors.)

Tracker

A brief follow-up...

I was washing the Hobby yesterday and noted that the water was happily sliding off the outside of the cab-windows I had treated with rain repellent about a month ago. I then asked myself why you had selected "three weeks" as a likely limit for treatment effectiveness.

Repellents like Rain-X are intended primarily for treating the outside surface of the windscreen. This is a tough environment as, during wet weather, the windscreen wipers will be rubbing across the treated glass. It's reasonable to assume that the more the wipers are used, the more the repellent will be abraded and the more frequently the repellent will need to be re-applied. So, for windscreen exteriors, retreatment every 3 weeks may well be required to maintain optimum effectiveness.

As there are no wipers on the side windows, the effectiveness of a treatment should last much longer. This will also be true of the inside of the cab windows, though I guess regularly wiping off condensation might also remove some of the repellent.

GOOGLE-ing on "Wiki Rain-X" may be of interest.

(A general comment about the AutoExpress website. This contains a long list of vehicle-related product reviews. Many of the reviews may not be directly relevant to motorcaravanning, but some general ones should be useful (eg. reviews of windscreen wiper blades, polishes, etc).)

Archived