sites in cornwall

Johnandi

We are considering buying a motorhome and have hired one for a week commencing 3rd October. We pick the van up in Dorset and want to travel around Cornwall to 'test the water'. Has anyone advice on overnight stays in the area? We'd like to try as many as possible.

Thanks

Hi Johnandi and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to start by going slightly off thread, are you hiring from a company called Abacus? If so I suggest you read the final postiings from 'Stormy' on this recent thread Link.

Right, back to your question, we are members of the Camping & Caravanning Club (C&CC) as we always know that their sites will be to a high standard and have used several in the Devon and Cornwall area in the past.

Alternatively you can look for a smaller certificated site if you want to 'get away from it all' for a few days.

The main question is what are you looking for from a site? Or have you ever camped or caravanned before?

Keith.

Agree with Keithl that you need to decide what type of site you prefer but if you want 5star comforts,visit Carnon Downs at Playing Place near Truro.

Superb toilet / laundry facilities and walking distance to shop and restaurant and slightly further afield, the Fal estuary.Good TV reception(needed at this time of year) and large hard standings with full service pitches,available if you like comfort and dont mind paying for it.

If not I am sure there are others to suit your taste but watch out for those narrow country lanes and dont place all your faith in the satnav.Dont forget the duvet as well as the portable elec. radiator for those nippy nights.

:-D

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is Abacus - have read the thread as advised - thankfully we won't be venturing as far as Stormy, and will report back after the holiday.

With regard to deciding what we want, we'd like to mix things up a bit, maybe a top notch site or two but also hoping to find somehing small and interesting! We don't actually have a plan, except we've booked Rick Stein's restaurant in Padstow for next Friday so will need a site there.

Johnandi - 2010-09-26 9:53 PM We don't actually have a plan, except we've booked Rick Stein's restaurant in Padstow for next Friday so will need a site there.

The C&CC site at Bodmin is 25 mins drive from Padstow so is a possibility. If you're thinking of spending more than 4 or 5 nights on a C&CC site then it's worth considering membership as otherwise there is a £7 per night surcharge. Membership is something like £38 so can prove cost effective fairly quickly.

The comment on the post about Abacus I really wanted to draw your attention to was that they had promised a brand new MH and the hirer got a 2 year old well worn MH when he turned up, not what he was expecting!

Keith.

Watch your driving in Cornwall and Devon as roads are v. tight and extended mirrors are easily damaged.

Get to know the exact width before going far by brushing near to bushes or something softish so you are confident with the gap you meet traffic with. I have incidentall put green leds on mine as at night things get hairy.

Guest pelmetman

There is a campsite which is walking distance of Rick Steins, as we stayed there last year and went to his resturant :D luvly grub (lol)

I think its called the Padstow touring park (?)

PS don't go to Lamorna cove if you have a coachbuilt, we did and it took me 3 attempts to get back up the hill :$ ..............nearly cooked the clutch *-)

Perhaps those signs saying not suitable for caravans mean something after all :D

Archived