Insurance help!

magbrin

Our son has just (or is in the process of) purchasing a LWB Transit PVC (self conversion). He is having problems with insurance. Has anyone any ideas? There are 2 problems one is that he only passed his test (1st time age 27) last week. The second is the conversion. Does anyone have any suggestions for an insurance company who will offer a realistic quotoation?

Guest JudgeMental

its tough these days being young, the days of owning a dilapidated camper and getting out, and enjoying yourself at reasonable cost are well and truly over. in my late teens we bought a van and semi converted it and went of around europe......Oh Happy days!

I am very sorry, hopefully someone may be along soon with more worthwhile advice......but I would not fancy being young again :-S

when I talked to a few insurers re teenagers (older daughter/good driver) on our insurance they all laughed.... My 17 year old son really wants a V dub*-)

maybe one of the self build forums could advise

It may help to add a named driver to the policy - female and over 40 years old.

A friend of ours, Julie, works in an office with a number of younger men. One of them asked if they could put her as a named driver on their policy and low and behold the premium reduced.

She is now a named driver on the insurance policy for all the men in the office. Talk about being popular.

It is only a small reduction in policy cost but every bit helps.

Thanks for your replies. So far Adrian Flux is coming out top but at over a grand its horrific! We are going to explore the van and insurance being in my/our name with Neil as a named driver - but it may not work as he does not live at home.

AliB - 2010-09-29 10:21 AM

A friend of ours, Julie, works in an office with a number of younger men. One of them asked if they could put her as a named driver on their policy and low and behold the premium reduced.

She is now a named driver on the insurance policy for all the men in the office. Talk about being popular.

He tried putting me on and it went up by £50!!! (Female, over 50 & clean!)

AliB - 2010-09-29 10:21 AM

Strange isn't it daughter's new car, each time added a named driver price reduced, added Mum Dad & Boyfriend came down by £35 it was only a bit over £200 to start with.

Hi Margret

In the June 2010 Insurance Survey, the following Companies include Self Build cover & minimum age limits were either 23 or 25.

www.sureterm.com

www.adrianflux.co.uk

www.motorhomedirectinsurance.co.uk

www.coversure.co.uk

www.comfortinsurance.co.uk

www.nfumutual.co.uk

www.caravanwise.co.uk

www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk

www.towergatebakers.co.uk

www.whittleseyinsurance.co.uk

www.clubcareinsurance.co.uk (C&CC)

www.campton.co.uk

www.footmanjames.co.uk

www.crusaderinsurance.co.uk

www.scenicinsurance.co.uk

www.caravanclub.co.uk

Not listed in any particular order.

JudgeMental - 2010-09-29 10:54 AM

I am somewhat surprised, I think £1000 is very reasonable........But we live in London with horrific premiums :-S

Agree with Judge, I would say £1000. is about right for a (Very) new driver(Male)

My grandaughters have to pay somewhat simalar ,just on small cars, and been driving 4years. Young males are nearly always more than girls

PJay

Archived