Double din screen with a 54 plate ducato

Arthur Brown

Hi

Can anyone tell me if a conversion is available for a double din screen in a Fiat Ducato on a 54 plate. It is the 2.8JTD with the central lift up document display thingy. I am looking for a device which will provide me with reasonable radio facility, CD playing, Satnav of a reasonable quality, bluetooth phone facility, ability to connect reversing/see to the rear camera facility. I don't mind the motorised version but the double din is cheaper. (Unless someone tells me otherwise) I want to be able to view rearwards all the time perhaps on a split screen with satnav. Any variations will be considered.

Art

Hello Art,

The answer is yes.

The 2002 to 2006 Ducato was available with a sat nav/telephone unit called 'Connect'. It was so ludicrously expensive that hardly anyone bothered with it. It was the same price (£1850) in Alfa's and I have one in my car and it is comprehensively beaten in every respect by humble Tom Tom. Glad I bought used and did not pay for it!

Anyway, the Connect unit was double din and sits in an altrernate moulding to the one you have beneath your clip board. The part number is 735305823 and last time i looked it was about £60

You may need a couple of minor items to complete the job and wll likely need a loom extension for your DIN cables so the best place to start would be the counter of your nearest Fiat dealer. Give him the part number and he will be able to access the drawing for you. ANY Fiat dealer can help you, not just commercials.

Next!

Nick

However I would not install a "built in" sat nav before undertaking quite a lot of research.  My general impression of these is that they tend to lack the facility to download/install additional POIs, almost invariably have out of date mapping, that the maps are frequently on quite limited area CD/DVDs, meaning that longer journeys across Europe require changes of map, that map updates/additional area maps are horrendously expensive, and that the navigation facility lacks flexibility.

The above comments are all by comparison with a portable unit, the best of which seem to be either TomTom or Garmin, both of whom provide free software and firmware updates, where one map covers the whole of Europe, where map updates are relatively much cheaper, and where for an annual subscription, or a single payment (lifetime subscription), around 4 map updates annually can be downloaded.

This is still rapidly changing technology, but the portables are relatively cheap (providing you do not add too many bells and whistles!) so, as they are overtaken by newer developments, it is not too expensive to upgrade to a later model to gain whatever advantages it brings.  With an all singing all dancing double DIN head unit covering so many functions you are nicely de-cluttered but, once the unit is a few years old, my guess is it will be abandoned in favour of a portable, as being a more efficient, and cost effective, navigation aid.

I would also question the convenience of a central, dashboard, location for the rear view/reversing screen.  I previously had one central above the windscreen, where the rear view mirror would otherwise have been, which was relatively easy to pick up while driving, but presently have the rear view/reversing screen between the steering wheel and the "A" pillar, on top of the dash.  In this position it does not obstruct my field of forward view and is clear of the wiper arc, sitting at the same level as the offside door mirror, and so making checking for traffic directly behind, and to the rear offside, very easy and quick.  Hope this is of use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Back after a few days away and got straight down to the forum. Many thanks for your replies. Nick, I appreciate the part number because Fiat said "no, never, if they had one I would know" well I can now go back to the man who would know and appraise him of his horoscope. I can get hold of a Pioneer double din unit which will as Brian suggests put all the clutter into one basket, including an AV to take the reversing camera. I am told that the navigation software is in fact Tom Tom generated. Not sure about that but that's the tale. Not sure whether or not I will go for it but at least you have all contributed to my research and helped greatly. Thanks again.

Art

Type '2208' in to ebay and you will find the sort f thing that you are looking for. The unit with gps is I think 2203 but is about £190. If you find the ad from eonon and follow the link you will find the specs for all of the different models. They are also based near Birmingham so you don't have to worry about importing from Hong Kong. Likewise you will find a fitting kit specifically for the Fiat Ducato on ebay for about £35. Seriously considering fitting the 2208 myself as the one din unit fitted by Autotrail is rubbish regards the camera.

Not sure if its suitable for installation in a Fiat but my new Transit has an Eclipse unit fitted, which comprises radio, cd player, connection for mp3 player, reversing camera display and sat nav!

The removeable screen is in fact a TomTom unit, but with different connections to my old 720. Its great, but then I'm still playing with it

alan

Archived