AA - RAC - Or - Greenflag.

gordonaldson

Hello Guys and Gals,

Now whats the best out there ??

Just had a break down with my car, good thing it was the car. Called RAC who we had been with for 10 years on direct debit and only had one break down over those years. We were told we were not members anymore and had not paid our subscription last February. Note the words DIRECT DEBIT and OVER 10 YEARS. They said they had lettered us to the fact, but no letter arrived. They wanted £120 to restart membership and call out charge. Yes you guessed it I rumbled on to my destination.

Now we were with the RAC because they were the only breakdown service who could look after our 24ft Kontiki at the time. Is this the norm now or can someone tell us differantly.

Thanks,

Gordon..

I'm sorry, I don't know which is best, I suspect that only comes with experience.

I *do* know, however, that the RAC admin procedures are very poor. Two years ago I had to chase them for renewal (no reminder had arrived). This year, I wanted my European cover removed (at least for one year, as the new 'van is covered by the manufacturer, and the other family vehicles aren't likely to be taken abroad).

A 'phone call quickly gained the correct reduction (and then a further bonus reduction 'because I had been with them for 12 years' !). I was promised new cards in the post.

What I did get was new cards which *included* European Cover, AND a letter thanking me for moving to Continuous Direct Debit (which I had specifically turned down - and the girl I'd talked to had volunteered that she didn't like it either!).

On 'phoning back, I was informed that (despite having a letter in front of me to the contrary) I was not on Continuous Direct Debit, and it was confirmed that I didn't have European Cover. "We'll have to send you new cards".

These new cards duly arrived WITH European cover............. :-S

.....can I be bothered to chase them again?

Hi Gordon,

'Normal' RAC cover only covers vehicles up to a Max weight of 3.5 tonnes, Max length of 5.5 metres and Max width of 2.3 metres.

The only way I have found to get round these restrictions is to join through the C&CC 'Arrival' scheme when there is then no limits as long as the vehicle is of a proprietary make.

And you get a 15% discount on normal rates!

Keith.

Green Flag have no size/weight restrictions, are fairly cheap, and cover a 'person', whatever vehicle they are in.

Certainly worth looking into, but I have never had to call them out (lol) , so don't know about the service.

They use a network of small, local garages, and will pay you £10 if they take longer than an hour to get to you...

I currently pay £90 a year

We have had to use Green Flag on four occasions over the years and have found them to be brilliant each time.

They have kept us up to date via the mobile phone and they have never exceeded the times they have given us.

Join them via the Caravan Club and there is no problem about size of vehicle to be recovered

Hi Robin

The only thing I would bother about, is to check they only charged the reduced amount.

It would be interesting to see what they would do IF you had a problem abroard. >:-)

We have had AA in the past and the breakdown service could not be faulted, unfortunately can't say the same for their Insurance services.

We also have the AA providing Peugeot Assistance for the Motorhome.

(extended for 2 years after 1st year & considerably cheaper than direct with the AA as an individual.) but it is Vehicle specific, not the individual member. Also no deal to include the Car as a separate membership.

So we have RAC for the Car, but as we haven't had any necessity to test their service I can't comment on their performance.

It's a minimum level membership as the Car is only used locally.

Note:- RAC do offer a reduced subscription charge if you do not have an claims in previous year(s).

I do agree that the RAC administration leaves room for improvement.

Guest JudgeMental

for the camper with safequard so AA I think?

but for the car cheapest one I could find (name escapes me details in car) £29 yes £29 not £120 *-)

broke down last year in North London, chap turned up in 40 minutes could not repair and recovery lorry came approx 40 mins later.....

I asked chap who he recovered for "everyone" inc AA Rac....... :-S

flicka - 2010-10-07 12:49 PM

Hi Robin

The only thing I would bother about, is to check they only charged the reduced amount.

Believe me, the first thing I checked was the amount that had been taken (and it WAS the further reduced non-European amount).

They certainly can be very odd in administrative matters - for instance, if you want to add European cover to an existing membership, it has to run concurrently, and you have to pay a full year's cost even if you add part way through the year.

Needless to say, when I wanted to add it, I was going abroad for three weeks starting exactly one week before the renewal date :-( .

It took me quite a long time to persuade them to set the renewal date foward a week, such that I lost one week, but only paid one year's supplement. (it would have been cheaper to take out an independent three week cover than pay two year's uplift).

For most motorhomes over 5.5 M Green Flag are the only ones who will recover your motorhome so it is a bit of a no brainer. We have had Green Flag out 3 times and on each occasion they have been prompt and fixed the problem for us. Mind you when we locked ourselves out of our Rapido it was a bit alarming how easily and quickly the mechanic gained access. However he did warn us that it is much more difficult on the latest Faits because the locks are now shielded.

Colin Leake - 2010-10-07 7:17 PM

For most motorhomes over 5.5 M Green Flag are the only ones who will recover your motorhome so it is a bit of a no brainer.

Not true; for example see quote from Keithl above.

Straight RAC membership does carry limits, but if you pay through the C&CC Arrival scheme, not only are the limits removed, but you get a 15% reduction as well. My previous 'van was covered at 7m long and 3850kg.

I'm with the RAC through Comfort Insurance, my 7.3m 3.88tonne van ws recovered today by the RAC, first van arrived in about 40mins, not bad considering the traffic, and the transporter about 45 mins after he had been called.

There was a bit of confusion about elegibility, apparently the full details of anybody without a membership card (those from insurance companies) are not easily available to check for the operators. It was resolved and we were taken to the Merc main dealer.

For those interested, the sprintshift gearbox decided not to bother to select any gears today after we had travelled about 400yds from home. It was eventually diagnosed as a wiring problem and resolved in about an hour once we got to the dealer.

cheers alan

PS Over the years we've called for assistance twice when overseas, both times good service from the RAC etc and once recovered from Antwerp to West Yorkshire but in a 3.5t on that occasion. (Would have taken too long to get RH drive parts to Belgium and would have missed our ferry)

Good Responce Guys.

Well Answers here point to Green flag or RAC, even though RAC let us down the other night.

Wife phoning Caravan Club tomorrow to get their responce. We were for over ten years on arrival.

For interest, my Espace traveled from Carlisle to Carnforth, 70 odd miles, with Battery light on and using dipped beam. Alternator found not producing output but when checked today battery still showing 12.10 volts. Amazing.

Regulator on order at £12 from Wood Auto Electrical Components.

Thanks.

Gordon..

Result, result...

Well somehow I should have known what the answer to this should have been. Yes we are back wth the RAC on Arrival with Camping & Caravan Club. Note normal RAC has a Length and weight restriction.

£86 for the year or £170 for total European cover.

No length or weight restriction.

Per Caravan Club, Green flag has no European cover !!!!

Check AA on web and they wanted £232 odd for European cover.

This of course is for me being in any vehicle, even a passenger and covers seven passengers.

Hope this helps anyone,

Gordon...

Been with the RAC for 20 + years now, never had a problem, both my husband and I are covered for what ever vehicle and lenght which is reassuring we are in, have Arrival with the CC&C.

We have broken down in this country and abroad and can only say that the service has been excellent on every occasion.

Admin must have been lucky - (touch wood) not had a problem there either. You might get it cheaper but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Only thing they do not have is discount for long stayers !!!! (lol)

Caroline - 2010-10-11 1:02 PM

Been with the RAC for 20 + years now, never had a problem, both my husband and I are covered for what ever vehicle and lenght which is reassuring we are in, have Arrival with the CC&C.

We have broken down in this country and abroad and can only say that the service has been excellent on every occasion.

Admin must have been lucky - (touch wood) not had a problem there either. You might get it cheaper but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Only thing they do not have is discount for long stayers !!!! (lol)

But they do increase cost of cover IF you are calling on their services regularly.

Britannia.

I get it cheaper through the CSMA. Service is excellent. Last time I called them out, the guy spent two hours fixing the van on the drive. They subcontract all their work to other breakdown services. For example, the use A1 Recovery on the Wirral - A1 also do buses and trucks!

Britannia tend to win the best breakdown cover awards.

britannia recue told me they would not cover my van

Vehicles should not be more than 5.5 metres in length, 2.3 metres wide, 3

metres in height, or a weight when fully loaded not exceeding 3.5 tonnes. We

will only cover vehicles over these limits if we have specifically agreed this with

you, before your cover began.

having like you been with the CSMA rescue for years and been covered I was told when I rung up I was now not covered I think this started when they were bought out?

• 2 weeks later...
With Green flag at present but no idea if they are the best, just the best price for me. Called out once with the car and response was fast but have not used in Europe. All companies use a local call out service in Europe so how efficient it is will depend on the local service. Incidently if you do not pay you can hardly blame the RAC for charging you. Just because you have a direct Debit in place does not excuse this it is still up to you to check payment. For this reason I never have yearly direct debits to easy to forget.

Archived