Heosafe cab deadbolts

Wilf

I’m in the process of updating the security on my van. Has anyone fitted Heosafe cab deadbolts to a 2001 Fiat Ducato? Are they easy to fit? I have seen these for sale at £150 which seems a bit expensive; but I think I’ll try Ebay to see whats on there.

Thanks Wilf

Very easy to fit on my 2005 Fiat, just 2 screws to undo holding the door armrest to door, slide in Heosafe locks and then replace screws. Only aspect that needs attention is the door rubbers as they catch on the locks when in use. I cut the rubber off and put some draught window sticking foam on door to stop draughts.

Once in place they are very easy to lock and unlock and the door appears totally secure.

Hope this helps.

RIS

Wilf - 2010-10-11 1:42 PM

I’m in the process of updating the security on my van. Has anyone fitted Heosafe cab deadbolts to a 2001 Fiat Ducato? Are they easy to fit? I have seen these for sale at £150 which seems a bit expensive; but I think I’ll try Ebay to see whats on there.

Thanks Wilf

Wilf no drilling straight fit takes a few minutes each side there seems to be a few second hand about on various forums.

I bought mine for £40 plus postage

Alf

The trouble with seatbelts and ratchet straps is that they can be cut quickly.

I have deadlocks fitted but I also bought mine second hand. The new price seems ridiculous. It might be a good start up business for somebody to compete in this market.

Hi, on a previous van, we fitted Heosafe doorlocks, very easy to fit and gave confidence that any potential intruder would be likely to go elsewhere.

On our present van, I have copied the principle but at a much cheaper cost. I bought a couple of lockable patio door locks from the local DIY man, and made a couple of mounting blocks about 8mm thick to fit them so that the pin would engage inboard of the cab metal edge which is currently hidden by the rubber door trim. I then cut some small holes in the rubber trim so that the pin can be pushed into the hole and engage with the metal edge and prevent the door opening. The lock body is then screwed to the door via the mounting blocks. It might not be as secure as Heosafe, but is a lot cheaper, and again hopefully will act as a deterrent.

tonyg3nwl

On my old van I fitted these locks :

http://www.upvcwindow-doorparts.co.uk/PRODUCT-1329-FAB-N-FIX-SASH-JAMMER

they have a seperate lockable tab that fits in, if the van is left parked, but are very easy to open when inside, and Cheap. easy to fit.

My newer van already had Fiamma 'Door guardian' locks fitted.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Security-Products-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Guardian-Security-Lock

These are good but lack the lockable feature, so less secure when van is parked (they could break the window and reach in, mind you they would need arms like an orang-utan to do it ) but then they would be 'Knuckle draggers' anyway !! Ray

(lol)

Just looked at yours Rich, they look good and better than the 'Fab n Fix' ones. ray

Guest JudgeMental
We have heosafe on camper (up for sale) Although good, I wont be spending that sort of money again, and will probably go with Trackers recomendation (similar to others)

Thanks for all your replies. I have been searching the web and the Heosafe locks look to be the best, although very pricey. I don’t like the idea of a belt / strap from door to door as we have swivel seats. I’ve found a set on E-bay so I think I’ll have a bid on those.

Cheers Wilf

I have had those on ebay on my watchlist ever since they appeared. Now you've told the world about them so there could be a bidding war and price go higher and higher. Actually, I've decided not to bid as I have acquired off ebay a set of cab-c-cure 'locks' which fit behind the armrest and have a swing-arm that moves over the push/lift button to prevent the button rising if someone screwdrivers the outside lock, maybe not as effective as heosafes but a darn sight cheaper! Lets hope you're the only one who wants the heosafes and you get them for the opening bid price.

Mickt - 2010-10-11 4:14 PM Another easy way is to fit a lap seat belt accross the two doors, easy to undo in an emergency

The common way to gain entry to a vehicle is to break a window.  With the glass out of the way, the locks can be released by reaching in, and a knife will remove your belt in seconds.

The object of the Heosafe locks is to prevent the cab doors being opened, even if the glass is broken.  This they will do, leaving the thief the choice of bunking through the cab window and letting himself out via the habitation door, or a window, or passing on to an easier target.  What they also do is prevent the screwdriver in the door lock means of entry.  If your vehicle has flimsy locks, they would be a good buy.  If your vehicle has good locks, that deadlock, they will add little to nothing to its real security.

Before fitting any security enhancement, do consider why you need it, whether there are better ways to avoid that risk, whether it has already been catered for, and whether the device in question will really address the perceived risk.

For example, is the risk that concerns you theft from the vehicle, or theft of the vehicle?  If theft from the vehicle, this implies the vehicle will be in use.  In the first place, why might it be vulnerable to break in when you are using it?  Are you sure the risk is real?  Are you leaving it in unwise places, and could you reduce the risk by leaving it in more secure places?

If you are concerned at theft of the vehicle, how do you envisage this taking place?  Breaking in to steal is a bit of a waste of time, since most new vehicles have good, factory fit, immobilises making "hot wiring" the ignition pretty impractical.  Easier by far to turn up with a breakdown truck, winch it on, and drive it away.  Alarm?  Anyone asking will be told the crew is from the local Fiat (or whatever) agent, and the owner called in this morning reporting a non-start.  Most folk will buy that.

Alternatively, if you are worried at theft of the van while parked at your home, they will probably just break into the house, take the van keys, and drive it away.  Keys in safe? 

Alarm against break-in?  Who pays any attention to car alarms any more?  The alarm will in any case go off when the break-in is attempted, before the thief is in.  He will then walk off, wait a while, and come back knowing he has already got his entry point. 

The best way of securing a van is to leave it in a secure, or highly visible, place, properly locked.  Beyond that, in general, if someone has decided it is worth stealing, the odds are they will get it whatever you do.  My opinion, and I'm sorry it is negative, but the likes of angle grinders and power saws will overcome most domestic or vehicle locking methods in the blink of an eye.

Archived