Ford Transit

mirage

Looking around the NEC and looking beyond the colour of the fabrics, I noticed that none of the Fords seem to have the top edge of the scuttle sealed to the windscreen, in fact some had a reasonable gap. So the question is, is the water drained away or does it find its way into the engine compartment a problem once experienced with Sevel Vans.

That was pretty much the most interesting discovery, apart from some of the prices think we`ll stick with our van for a while longer.

I can see what you mean, but I don't have the problem on my Mk7 Tranny that I had with my previous boxer where I plumbed in windscreen washer tube to act as a drainpipe.

I have been very happy over the last 2 1/2years with my RWD Transit in both comfort when driving and performance

I do however keep an eye for leaf build up as it lives under trees when it is at home.

mike 202 - 2010-10-14 8:32 AM

My comments re Mk7 2008 RWD 2.4L Transit are the same as Roger, more than happy.

With regard to water, some will find its way onto injector nearest the front of the vehicle. Has not caused any problems so far

Water around an injector will not cause any problems until you want to remove said injector.

Why is it that it's ok for a Ford to have water leaking onto an injector but when it happens to a Fiat all hell breaks loose? The double standards are shocking!

I would be the first to admit that Fiat have made some colossal mistakes but so have most other manufacturers over the years; Ford could not make a decent gearbox, or a dual mass flywheel for a long time, Mercedes could not get injectors or ABS systems to work properly and these examples affected every single white van as well as camper van!

Take off your English rose tinted glasses because Ford is no longer any more British than Mohammed Al-Fayad!

Complain to Ford about the water ingress and you will be completely stone-walled. They will do absolutely nothing, because they give even less of a toss than Fiat.

Sorry for the rant; just thought it was time that was said.

Nick

Tony Jones - 2010-10-14 9:40 AM

...although like Roger I have to clear the leaves at times!

Hi Roger and Tony,

I too had trouble with leaves as next door has a huge oak tree in the front garden.

My solution has been to use a length of Gutter Guard folded into a 'U' shape to slot between the bonnet and scuttle and cut to fit around the wipers and hinges. All I have to do is pull it out and shake to remove all the leaves before we use the MH and then refit when we get back home. Problem solved!

HTH.

Keith.

mirage - 2010-10-13 9:42 PM

Looking around the NEC and looking beyond the colour of the fabrics, I noticed that none of the Fords seem to have the top edge of the scuttle sealed to the windscreen, in fact some had a reasonable gap. So the question is, is the water drained away or does it find its way into the engine compartment a problem once experienced with Sevel Vans.

The plastic scuttle "trim" isn't sealed to the windscreen, but it sits on top of, and covers, a substantial trough which is part of the main bulkhead bodywork. This channels water (from either the front or back of the trim), to drains both sides. I can see only one intrusion in this trough for a trim plug that might provide a way for water to leak, but this is watertight on mine (and would be easily sealed if it weren't).

mirage - 2010-10-13 9:42 PM

That was pretty much the most interesting discovery, apart from some of the prices think we`ll stick with our van for a while longer.

NEC up to its usual standard, and well worth the visit then! ;-)

Archived