How to determine what type of chassis?

deerhound

My Motorhome is a Swift Royale Ensign 590 2000 yr, I am investigating the possibility of a tow bar and have been asked if it is a Al-KO chassis? I have new Towsure catalogue but gives no indication of how to find out, have contacted several companies and again they ask same question. I have had a look underneath and there is a spare wheel under rear and what looks like galvanised chassis but nowt else! Any advise please? Thank you (lol)

It's not an ALKO - I had a similar van of similar vintage.

It is a standard Fiat Ducato ladder chassis - it does, however, have a chassis extension at the back of the standard chassis, and any towbar fitted will have to take account of that, and the overhang beyond the rear of the standard chassis.

An ALKO chassis is a galvanised steel *full-length* rear chassis, from the rear of the cab backwards, complete with its own (torsion-bar, not cart-spring) rear suspension. The base vehicle has its original chassis cut away just to the rear of the cab, and a complete rear chassis unit bolted on at that point.

(and before anyone points it out, I believe it is now possible for convertors to order a vehicle without a rear chassis, ready for the ALKO and rear wheels to be bolted on).

Hi James,

Any towbar must pick up on the original chassis manufacturers mounting points and then extend backwards to the towing point. It cannot be solely mounted to the chassis extenders. These will be left in place and the towbar will run alongside or underneath them.

I suggest you contact the likes of Towtal who make bespoke towbars for just such applications.

HTH.

Keith.

Archived